PDA

View Full Version : Fender roll question

HKS225
04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
This morning I went to a very reputable shop here in Baton Rouge, that I have delt with for years, to get them to roll my rear fenders. Several of the employees came out too look at the car to see what they would charge me. They told me that they couldnt roll them because the spot welds on that part of the fender are too close together and that if they tried to do it the fender would buckle. They said they could do it, but would have hammer and dolly, rework the pannel, and repaint. Is this how it needs to be done on our cars? or are they just trying to get more $$$??

usedep3
04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
This morning I went to a very reputable shop here in Baton Rouge, that I have delt with for years, to get them to roll my rear fenders. Several of the employees came out too look at the car to see what they would charge me. They told me that they couldnt roll them because the spot welds on that part of the fender are too close together and that if they tried to do it the fender would buckle. They said they could do it, but would have hammer and dolly, rework the pannel, and repaint. Is this how it needs to be done on our cars? or are they just trying to get more $$$??

more $$$.

heyvortek
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
fuck it. baseball bat, heat gun, and a trusty friend with steady hands. thats how i did it and it was free. you can also rent a fender rolling tool from you local auto store and diy. youtube how to do it.

RHCP0801
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
lol @ shops that have no idea what they are talking about

ep3hatchey
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
thats great lol..so many people do it them selfs and they nvr had that prob..do exactly what "heyvortek" said and take it back down to the shop after its done and tell them there full of shit haha

x3thelast
04-22-2011, 02:35 PM
i rented the easton roller thingy from a dude at craigslist here. 50$ for the day including a heat gun. nice lil weekend project :)

HKS225
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replys. X3thelast let me know how it goes. I really need to get this done to set me camber right.

x3thelast
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the replys. X3thelast let me know how it goes. I really need to get this done to set me camber right.

oh i did it last weekend. sorry i didnt snap any pictures while doing it. but it was pretty simple, i just watched the videos on youtube.
i think it came out pretty nice ill see if i can get some pictures of it now. might even try to pull the fenders a little next time :D

good luck with yours!

civsirmt
04-23-2011, 06:23 AM
if u dont want to try to do it yourself go to ur local vw performance shop.....its worth a shot. the shop i took mine to first said the same thing about the pinch welds and they rolled them to the welds and stopped. hell that only gave me an extra 1/8", good luck.

POOPTOOTH
04-23-2011, 07:07 AM

They're full of shit. Did mine in a half hour with the Eastwood roller, turned out great. Make sure you use the heat gun as well, for the safety of the paint.

ep3jd
04-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I had a shop on long island roll mineee who had a very good reputation, but they destroyed my fenders. All wavy and barely have any extra clearance. Shit sucked. They blamed it on shitty body work, but upon further inspection of the area, there was no body work in there.

/rant

POOPTOOTH
04-23-2011, 10:01 AM
I had a shop on long island roll mineee who had a very good reputation, but they destroyed my fenders. All wavy and barely have any extra clearance. Shit sucked. They blamed it on shitty body work, but upon further inspection of the area, there was no body work in there.

/rant

I don't understand how anyone, ESPECIALLY a shop, can fuck up fenders. If you have the correct tool, any joe shmoe can do it, hell I did. lol...

ep3jd
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't understand how anyone, ESPECIALLY a shop, can fuck up fenders. If you have the correct tool, any joe shmoe can do it, hell I did. lol...

Me neither dude