PDA

View Full Version : Kind of Lost

spazz
04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
So recently i got a check engine light and battery light. Battery was maybe 2 years old so figured i would get the alternator rebuilt. Did that and still engine light and battery light. What i dont understand is if the alternator is good it should still run fine just wont charge the battery right? And im sure since the battery is dead this is part of it but none of the analog gauges are working. Tomorrow im going to get the battery tested and if that is good im not sure were to look after this.

RHCP0801
04-23-2011, 09:23 PM
check the alt fuse in the fuse box under the steering wheel, i think its labeled acc

ep3_si
04-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I had something like this that had happen to me too. The thing that caused mine was my Secondary 02 sensor was somehow rubbing onto my cat. and cause a short curcuit.

02ES1
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
What code are you throwing for the check engine light?

talonXracer
04-25-2011, 05:59 AM
DO NOT ASSUME that the battery you have is still good, 2 years is more than long enough for a weak alternator/regulattor to take it out. I have seen many an instance where the battery and alternator would take turns burning each other out until they both were replaced at the same time.

Also being on an island in the middle of the ocean can cause corrosion on the grounds and hot connections for the electrical system. Every connection should clean enough to eat off of.

spazz
04-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok so figured i wouldnt be hurting anything and replaced the battery, same thing, engine code and battery light. I did the check engine light and got 57 but the codes i saw on this forum said it was for 02-03 mine is an 04 so not sure if it would be different.

So right now both alt and batt are new, so looking else were now :help:

EDIT: Checked fuses and yes alternator one was blown, replaced and now check engine light went away, but now i just have the battery light, went through my grounds to make sure every thing was cleaned. Still battery light is on, so what im wondering is what triggers the battery light to be on? might help me to figure out my problem is. THANKS!

talonXracer
04-30-2011, 06:26 AM
According to my Helms manual a MIL57 covers all years of EP3's. But it includes 3 different CEL codes, all dealing with engine timing, but that isnt too hard to believe when the alt fuse was blown.

What is the actual operating voltage seen at the battery with the key off, key on engine off, key on engine on at 1K, 3k and 5k rpm's? The voltage must be checked with NO electrical devices or accesories being turned on, heater fan at OFF, no interior lights on and the radio turned off.

The ground at the battery and going to the engine are only part of the grounds I was referrring to, but the grounds for the chassis(also grounds some engine stuff) as well, these are situated under the bumper cover under the left and right headlights.

You should either purchase a true code reader or borrow one, just doing the DIY mil# check can and usually does cover multiple CEL's If you didnt reset the ECU the codes will still be stored in the ECU's memory.

spazz
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
So checked the battery and alternator for volts and when off disconnected i get 12.51v, plugged in off same, running at all rpm's 14.5v's, but fora short time was reading 7v's running then retested and was reading 14.5, so not sure what happened since i couldn't replicate it again. Now i was testing volts DC but wasn't sure if i needed to switch it to volts AC when the car was running since the alternator was running, or im just off.

I was thinking on thing could be that since the alternator fuse fried the signal to the light in the dash also fried? So it wouldn't be getting a signal from the charging system and saying it wasnt charging? Also i do have a grounding DIY kit installed if that makes any difference. And there is no check engine light now after i replaced the alternator fuse just the battery light is all i have at the moment.

Also thanks for the feedback and help!

AKEP
05-06-2011, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=spazz;884759] a grounding DIY kit installed if that makes any difference.[QUOTE]

i mean, you COULD check the grounds, make sure they are clean and tight.

spazz
05-24-2011, 02:29 AM
So i have been driving around the car, no dead battery, so not sure why im getting a battery light on the dash now :( trying to chase wires but not getting any were.

talonXracer
05-24-2011, 06:02 AM
There is something still wrong with the alt/battery. Have you had the battery and alternator tested for load holding? The battery light is illuminated when battery voltage drops just like you seen.

You say the alternator and battery are new, what brand battery and was the alt new or rebuilt?

spazz
05-28-2011, 04:53 AM
battery is walmart special, alt is oem, rebuilt at a local shop, they tested it before they gave it back said it was good.

talonXracer
05-28-2011, 08:00 AM
The stock battery is barely up to the task, going even cheaper could be an issue. You always get what you pay for at wallmart.......LOL

There is a full and complete troubleshooting section in the Helms on the charging system. download the Helms and purchase a OBDII reader.

sleepy ep3
05-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Sell the car. It's broke.

ep3jd
05-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Sell the car. It's broke.

/thread