PDA

View Full Version : Black OEM EP3 Cluster

Tokin_Buds
04-24-2011, 11:10 PM
So, Ive never been a fan of the white gauges in our cars and think they look too boy racer and stand out too much, I know lots of you love them but I came across this cluster which is from an EP2..

My question is, Will this fit and plug in, in my USDM EP?

Thanks!

http://i56.tinypic.com/30wb9k0.jpg

USAF EP3
04-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Yea it'll fit.

The better question is if it will WORK, lol. You would have to compare wire diagrams and pin outs of the rear plugs to see if they are the same or similar to ours.

ShadowEP3
04-24-2011, 11:35 PM
son..of..a..bitch :meek:

you dont know how long ive been thinking of making an overlay for the cluster in black..but i wouldnt need to if its PnP

Tokin_Buds
04-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Shoot, Nevermind.. I totally lost where I found it since my Safari browser was on private, I guess Im not getting it and I cant find it anywhere. Ohwell.

Thanks for the input anyway guys, Apparently this cluster is very rare.

I did find this EP part though..

http://i51.tinypic.com/24v4lte.jpg

Andrew
04-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Shoot, Nevermind.. I totally lost where I found it since my Safari browser was on private, I guess Im not getting it and I cant find it anywhere. Ohwell.

Thanks for the input anyway guys, Apparently this cluster is very rare.

I did find this EP part though..

http://i51.tinypic.com/24v4lte.jpg

omg! i've been wanting a glove blox with a lock on it! how did you find that? the black ep2cluster is very clean though

Tokin_Buds
04-25-2011, 12:30 AM
I found other unique parts but, you guys ever think to yourselves, Why am I getting crazy over simple things like a lock on the glove box? I mean, I rented some crappy base model car that was total crap, BUT IT HAD A LOCK on the glove box!

Its weird how our cars lost all these convenient features, like the outside temp gauge in the cluster, or the switch that repositions the headlights beams up/down, or the same radio that we have in our cars,except it has an aux jack and plays MP3's.

We didnt get those nice things for our humble Si's.lol

nmysiismyn
04-25-2011, 01:28 AM
I get bugged by all the little things too. They're big to me! :mangel: I can't stand that we don't have auto up AND down on our windows when the base RSX had them. I can point out a hundred things like that. One little (big) mod I'd really like to do is install a JDM door panel on my passenger's side, so they can have a lock/unlock switch too.

Sick glove box BTW!!! The cluster's 6,300 redline would bug me though. :tehe:

nmysiismyn
04-25-2011, 01:31 AM
A memory setting for (at least the driver's) seat would be a great feature too IMO. Sometimes it tough to get the seat set just as it was before I let a passenger out my way. I try to push everyone out the passenger's side, but it doesn't always work that way. :tehe:

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-25-2011, 07:08 AM
I get bugged by all the little things too. They're big to me! :mangel: I can't stand that we don't have auto up AND down on our windows when the base RSX had them. I can point out a hundred things like that. One little (big) mod I'd really like to do is install a JDM door panel on my passenger's side, so they can have a lock/unlock switch too.

Sick glove box BTW!!! The cluster's 6,300 redline would bug me though. :tehe:

wha?

my 04 si has auto up and down driver window

RedSiBaron
04-25-2011, 08:37 AM
A memory setting for (at least the driver's) seat would be a great feature too IMO. Sometimes it tough to get the seat set just as it was before I let a passenger out my way. I try to push everyone out the passenger's side, but it doesn't always work that way. :tehe:

I agree with you on all this stuff you are saying, but what you have to remember is cost...its a civic that was already too expensive to sell anyway, they couldn't make it anymore or they'd price them selves out of the older market they had to sell the car to, and no one would have bought them because no one wants to pay for a 30k civic

ep3jd
04-25-2011, 09:09 AM
wha?

my 04 si has auto up and down driver window

04-05 has that feature.

nmysiismyn
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah.. The introduction 02-03's got shafted! That's a good point Charles. I thought about that at one point and used to always remindmyself of that fact, but I forget about all the "politics" of after a while- especially when I step in some other compact/economic car from the same years to see all the little features they received that we got screwed on- which are mostly inexpensive/lightweight things... i.e. MP3 input jack, vanity mirror lights, telescopic steering wheel, etc... I could think of a hundred more things, but I just started with my coffee. lol :coffee:

ep3jd
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Just be thankful we didn't get screwed with no sun roof, roll up windows, and a tape deck. LOL

nmysiismyn
04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
LOL. I shall try. :mangel:

bizzle
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Just be thankful we didn't get screwed with no sun roof, roll up windows, and a tape deck. LOL

I'd welcome to no sun roof part. It's heavy. It's one more thing to break. It's one more place for water to get inside and rust.

RedSiBaron
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah.. The introduction 02-03's got shafted! That's a good point Charles. I thought about that at one point and used to always remindmyself of that fact, but I forget about all the "politics" of after a while- especially when I step in some other compact/economic car from the same years to see all the little features they received that we got screwed on- which are mostly inexpensive/lightweight things... i.e. MP3 input jack, vanity mirror lights, telescopic steering wheel, etc... I could think of a hundred more things, but I just started with my coffee. lol :coffee:

dude, think about what those compact/economy cars DIDNT get and the difference in cost...when building a car a company has to decide where the money goes, do you take out all the fiddly features that COULD break, and put the cost into making the key components that will define the car GOOD instead of just spreading the cost across lots of silly features, that in the end will be cheap and all break and then you are just left with a 240sx, no better than a civic and cost twice as much when new...

remember $1 more per car on 20k units is $20,000 more in production costs...this is why companies cut pennies...it sucks but in such high volumes it matters, if we are talking limited production cars, it doesnt matter, but mass market it really does add up

Tokin_Buds
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Tokin_Buds
04-26-2011, 12:05 AM
I NEVER use my sunroof, ever.. plus I hate the way the seal looks around the glass on the roof, it messes up the way the roof looks.. Look at an EP without a sunroof and I think you'll agree, it looks much nicer.

ep3jd
04-26-2011, 05:19 AM
I like my sun roof a lot... Lol

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I'd welcome to no sun roof part. It's heavy. It's one more thing to break. It's one more place for water to get inside and rust.

im mixed about having a sun roof or not
but i dont think i'd be going crazy if i didnt have one...

i don't use mine much...maybe like once every .....month maybe more

if we didnt have a sunroof our chassis would be lighter and stiffer <---don't quote me on this lol

i think thats the reason why some bmw m series cars are missing sunroofs <---(again don't quote me on this im throwing it out there based on pure memory of what i think i read and remember)

RedSiBaron
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Because of the compound stamping on the roof for a sun roof, its actually stiffer having it, but you're looking at about an extra 30-50 lbs up on the highest point which is the worst point to have weight on a car...this is why the type r did not have a sun roof...reduced weight up high, and 30 less lbs on the car

stephenmcc
04-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Guys the EP2 gauge set is plug and play in the EP3 as a lot of people do the opposite over here if you like I could source some ep2 black clusters :)

ep3jd
04-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Guys the EP2 gauge set is plug and play in the EP3 as a lot of people do the opposite over here if you like I could source some ep2 black clusters :)

Do itttttt :msmile:

whatsvtec
04-29-2011, 06:01 AM
How about sourcing lockable glove box doors!

Are the lockable doors for LHD cars? or RHD? I found one on ebay, but it's UK so I'm assuming it's RHD specific

usedep3
04-29-2011, 06:15 AM
i'm assuming the lock on the glove box corresponds to the lock on the doors/ignition. does anyone know if it's even possible to rekey the glove box to a specific ep3 key and how difficult it is?

nmysiismyn
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I'd like to see more pics of the EP2 gauge clusters installed- to see how it flows.
I think I'm going to paint all my silver trim Landau Black, I think black gauges would go together with it nicely, but I'm iffy about having my mileage and redline off...

stephenmcc
04-30-2011, 04:18 AM
As luck has it, there is a black uk cluster for sale on epcivic.com for 30 uk pounds,

the glovebox locks we all got in the uk, I'll check with some of the European users for the LHD variants

Although we didn't get the HFP kit lol

There's probably other things you guys could use...

I have Honda jazz washer jets (Honda fit) in my EP, which change the jets from a spray to a mist for more coverage they're a lot better than the stock ones

Also if anyone needs any parts ordered from a uk dealer grab me the part number if possible and email me for prices but remember were RHD :p

Email is stephenmcc@live.com

Jukka
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
shipping from Norther Ireland is killer though. I paid a guy for a Aniversary edition MOMO steering wheel from N.I., was gonna cost around twice as much as i paid for the wheel to get it shipped from N.I. to Canada.

sleepy ep3
05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
04-05 has that feature.

My 03 has that feature. Made in 09/02

ShadowEP3
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM

by any chance could you post a pix of the cluster illuminated?..id love to see how it looks before deciding on it

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 05:01 AM
by any chance could you post a pix of the cluster illuminated?..id love to see how it looks before deciding on it

Nice avatar, that didn't take long.

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 05:02 AM
My 03 has that feature. Made in 09/02

Well my 2002 does not. Even tried to set it the way honda says to when my regulator went and its not possible

Tokin_Buds
05-02-2011, 09:29 AM
This will give some insight on how it might look in our EP3s.

http://i54.tinypic.com/15rgv2s.jpg

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Yum

nmysiismyn
05-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Wow! It looks great.
When I get home, I'll Photoshop all the silver trim out... Can't wait to see it's outcome.

ShadowEP3
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Tommy, think you can photoshop our steering wheel on there as well?

Tokin_Buds
05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I wish I could have got a better pic but the site redirected me and wont give me a direct image so ahwell, if you all use google.co.uk and search ep2 maybe you can get a bigger pic to photoshop.

ShadowEP3
05-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Tommy if you want, i can source you a couple pix

*edit: found a pix with cluster on; to our connect in NI, how much for cluster + shipping to Ontario, California, US 91764?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc309/rosswf27/DSC02369.jpg

http://www.epcivic.com/userpix/337_DSC05132_1.jpg

ill keep searching for more shots of cluster

ShadowEP3
05-02-2011, 02:02 PM
adding as i find..this post will be updated as i see more

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/mjd81/207066_10150132339664998_513534997_6406780_3436285 _n.jpg

stephenmcc
05-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I'll get prices for delivery tomorrow, as it's after 10 pm here lol

Tokin_Buds
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Cluster glows white..fyi

Just something to think about if colors not matching bothers you.

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 02:36 PM
n e e d

nmysiismyn
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Martin... Yoodaamann! :thumbu:

Looking quickly at some pics, I was expecting the cluster to light up blue and amber...

Notice the dimmer switch though. That's something that'll probably have to be purchased with it. Hope there's a similar one in a USDM Honda of some sort- like an EM2 or something.

Either way, I don't think I could handle the redline being lower and my mileage being off. They can be programmed, right? If so, I'm sure it'd be at the mercy/cost of a stealership's molestation. :mrolleyes:

stephenmcc
05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
hey guys quick update, transglobal.org.uk says they can ship the item for about £25 via DHL express which is 2-3 days, theres a set of clocks for £30 here ill see how cheap i can get them though

also the dealer can change the milage easily, and the redline part is only cosmetic, it will still go to the real redline

i have the white version of these clocks (6300rpm redline, no Si logo) in my EP2

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I remember someone saying that they purchased a type r cluster and when they installed it the correct mileage showed. He did not know the type r mileage and I don't believe that was coincidence

stephenmcc
05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
all mileage is stored in the gauges not ECU

i had type r ones in mine, and the mileage was wrong (mine is 42k, type r 18k)

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sure the odo could be transfered over when doing this swap, no?

stephenmcc
05-02-2011, 03:28 PM
probably but its all tiny soldered connections, which is probably a pain, especially if there is any difference between the clusters.

ep3jd
05-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Maybe I'll find one with the same mileage as the swap I'm doing :mbiggrin:

Tokin_Buds
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey when you gonna make a Members Ride, stephenmcc??

ShadowEP3
05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
awesome, definitely gonna save up for this; question, how do you adjust the brightness of the cluster?..i was under the impression that the switch Tommy mentioned was to adjust headlight height.

stephenmcc
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
ill put up a members ride soon :)

Have To Wash The Car First! (And Get My Wheels On lol)

Tokin_Buds
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
ill put up a members ride soon :)

Have To Wash The Car First! (And Get My Wheels On lol)

Cool man, Everybody here on ephatch really loves seeing people that aren't from the US cars of course!

ShadowEP3
05-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Looking quickly at some pics, I was expecting the cluster to light up blue and amber...

Notice the dimmer switch though. That's something that'll probably have to be purchased with it. Hope there's a similar one in a USDM Honda of some sort- like an EM2 or something.

for the cluster lights, nothing a couple LED bulbs cant fix

for the switch: it appears it is a height adjustment switch for headlights; the pix below is similar to what is shown in the pix i provided earlier (can any outta country EP owner confirm?):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TYBd9N3pM-I/AAAAAAAAAyo/it6WmXQNYF4/s800/imagejpeg_2_18.jpg

nmysiismyn
05-02-2011, 10:56 PM
for the cluster lights, nothing a couple LED bulbs cant fix

for the switch: it appears it is a height adjustment switch for headlights; the pix below is similar to what is shown in the pix i provided earlier (can any outta country EP owner confirm?):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TYBd9N3pM-I/AAAAAAAAAyo/it6WmXQNYF4/s800/imagejpeg_2_18.jpg

I'm sure you're right about the switch Martin. I should've looked better at the print on the switch, LOL. I jumped the gun there because I first noticed that there's only one knob/lever/thingy coming out of the gauge cluster... Telling me that it either, doesn't have a light dimmer, or it doesn't have a trip set feature. :shrug:

stephenmcc
05-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Yep headlight adjustment switch, all uk EP have them except premier type r which are auto adjust

nmysiismyn
05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Yep headlight adjustment switch, all uk EP have them except premier type r which are auto adjust

Our gauge clusters have 2 knobs- One for dimming the light brightness and one for trip mileage resetting;

Are the cluster's lights able to dim darker/brighter?

Do they have a setting to start/stop a trip mileage measurement?

Trying my best to be easily understandable. :mangel:

stephenmcc
05-04-2011, 12:56 AM
There is no dimmer on the EP in the uk, but if it's a separate switch it could work, but there is a trip meter

Although the EM2 coupe has black clocks with a dimmer which are also a plug and play fit, they also have a 7k redline iirc

nmysiismyn
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I pained all my silver garnish Landau Black throughout the night... Now I'm even more ingested in a black cluster. :hay:

stephenmcc
05-07-2011, 03:48 PM
ill see what i can arrange with shipping to america :)

the only dials i can get are £30 Then Around £25ish For Shipping

ep3jd
05-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I would love this cluster. God it flows so well

nmysiismyn
05-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Now, THIS is a black cluster I would rock! It's from the 5 door (EP4 :shrug:). I found it going through an old hard drive. It, at least, has a 6,800rpm redline. I would definitely paint the silver bezels black though. Peep the white-lit odometer and climate reading! :meek: Again though... It only has one knob. :mrolleyes:

[CLICKABLE THUMBNAIL]
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/EPHatch/th_100_1076-1.jpg (http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/EPHatch/100_1076-1.jpg)

For Tapatalk users:
http://goo.gl/ir311

stephenmcc
05-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Its Not An EP4 Cluster, Its An EU Something

EP4 Is A 1.7 Diesel :( And Is A 3 Door

But That Cluster Drops Straight Into The EP Aswell. Im Currently Looking One For Mine.

the one knob does both brightness AND changes the readout btw

02TWSI
05-28-2011, 10:48 AM
I pained all my silver garnish Landau Black throughout the night... Now I'm even more ingested in a black cluster. :hay:

That's racist! LOL.

EJAYSICKS
06-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Really interested in this.. I'm not a fan of the white guage's coming from always looking at CTR in my other car..

AKEP
06-29-2011, 01:07 AM
is it just me that likes to shift in the red? i used to play gran turismo non stop, the red LINE was more of a warning lol.

nmysiismyn
06-29-2011, 02:07 AM
is it just me that likes to shift in the red? i used to play gran turismo non stop, the red LINE was more of a warning lol.

LOL. You're not alone. I've always been a GT fan and if I wasn't shifting well into the red, I wasn't going fast enough and/or wouldn't get gold on the license tests. lol.

That reminds me. I finally have fast internet... WTF! Why haven't I tried playing? Would I even be able to since PSN isn't free anymore? IDK... Just thinking out loud. lol. My bad