PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder instantly giving up?

Heitzke
04-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Jump into the car today to go to work, push in the clutch and *snap* the pedal goes to the floor. I look under the dash by the pedal and a little bit of fluid is leaking out by the piston.

Is it normal for the master cylinder to all of a sudden just shit itself one day? Drove fine late last night and it just gave up this morning.

Am I missing something? Just wanted to check up before ordering some parts that I don't actually need.

talonXracer
04-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah, the internal seals held untill they blew out, that is a normal mode of failure.

Heitzke
04-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Yeah, the internal seals held untill they blew out, that is a normal mode of failure.

Always the man with the answers, thank you sir. Guess I'll order up an 03 EX MC. Anything I need to know about an install? Looks like a pain in the ass .

talonXracer
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
LOL, I have done one, and it is a bitch, sorta, jack the car up and remove the drivers wheel and you should be able to get at it without much pain, unless you have paws the size of dinner plates.....

Heitzke
04-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Haha fortunately I have pretty small hands so that shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately though, it broke while in a parking spot instead of in my garage.. such is life I guess.

usedep3
04-28-2011, 08:28 AM
i replaced mine with the em2 cmc a year ago. it was pretty straight forward. bleeding the clutch line was the worst part. good luck man

Heitzke
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Way easier than I thought it was. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that replacing these was a huge PITA, but it really wasn't at all. Car has been back up and running for a while now.

talonXracer
05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Good, glad to hear the repair went smoothly. But you can see how somewone with large mitts or they are the size of grizzly Adams would have issues, LOL