PDA

View Full Version : My new planned suspension setup

USAF EP3
04-29-2011, 04:04 PM
So for the upcoming auto-x season that begins in September, here is my proposed suspension setup. I welcome any and all constructive comments and compliments.

Coilovers To be determined soon
02 Type S front spindles and brakes Purchased not installed
02 Type S rear trailing arms w/spindles and brakes Purchased not installed
Type R front LCA's Purchased not installed
Type S tie rod ends Purchased not installed
Progress rear tie bar and 22mm rear sway with Hotchkis adjustable endlinks Purchased and installed
J's racing rear camber kits Purchased and installed
DC5 Skunk2 rear LCA's Purchased not installed
Energy Suspension polyurethane rear trailing arm bushings Not purchased...yet
Not running a front sway bar

The following is where I'm debating if I need to purchase it or not:

05-06 front lower ball joints OR Spend cash on the Buddy Club extended ball joints?
DC5 tie rods OR keep stock EP3 tie rods?
02-06 Type S axles OR Type R axles? (I know the Type R's are 7.5mm longer on each side I don't know if i TRULY need them because I have the Type R front LCA's but using Type S knuckles/spindles)

I bought a complete Type S brake/spindle/rear trailing arm swap with only 40k miles from a local for $250 recently. I want to take this oppurtunity and upgrade to the bigger brakes and Type S or Type R axles even though I already have an 05 EP3. Money is not really an issue, I have plenty to spend, I just want to sift through what I really NEED and what is just necessary without going too "bling bling". I'm a function man, don't care much for form.

The reason why I put the rear LCA's on the list is because the car was in a rear end collision and the rear LCA's are bent but the trailing arms are straight.

Keep in mind also my car right now has 103k miles and I would like to replace as many stock parts that can use some upgrading as possible while I'm in there tearing shit up lol.

Help me buy the right stuff EPHatch! This money is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm window shopping like a mofo.

ep3jd
04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
bro just get racelands and call it a day you n00b

:mangel::hay:

EDIT: but on a serious note you will have to replace the rear lca if you are running the type s trailing arm and they're damaged because the three bolt pattern is different and the oem ep3 ones won't match up!

and i say get the energy suspension bushing for the trailing arm because when is the next time its going to be off the car? take advantage!

USAF EP3
04-29-2011, 04:09 PM
bro just get racelands and call it a day you n00b

:mangel::hay:

Haters gonna hate. :rofl:

On the lighter note, that's good to know.

Didn't know that the rear LCA's were different fromt EP3 to DC5. So I'll go ahead and buy the Skunk2's.

ep3jd
04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
also, what is the point of swapping the rears out for type s? everything is EXACTLY the same as your current rears. all you're doing is making the available space to fit the type s rear struts without modification but if you ask me thats a lot of work for nothing special! especially if you now have to replace lower control arms! just grind down that bushing on the type s stuff and call it a day!

USAF EP3
04-29-2011, 04:17 PM
also, what is the point of swapping the rears out for type s? everything is EXACTLY the same as your current rears. all you're doing is making the available space to fit the type s rear struts without modification but if you ask me thats a lot of work for nothing special! especially if you now have to replace lower control arms! just grind down that bushing on the type s stuff and call it a day!

My rear castor is off on my EP3, lol. My driver side trailing arm is badly bent and I didn't notice until I got an alignment about 6 months back.

When I bought the car I noticed a huge streak of red paint on the underbody of the car. Then it hit me, the guy who had it before me ran over really hard over a big paint bucket :laugh:

Besides with the trailing arms down I can replace the bushings now.

ep3jd
04-29-2011, 04:18 PM
wellllllllllll don't you have an answer for everything :mmad: i wish i kept the oem rear type s control arms from my swap, i would just give them to you lol

but you should just get the energy suspension master set while you're under there doing all this wrenching, why not throw in some pressing as well. and IMO you should just get the oem lower ball joints because i doubt you're so low you'll need the rca and if you're really making use of the car those ball joints are going to wear out pretty quick from what i've read.

USAF EP3
04-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't know if i want to replace the front LCA's bushing only because the Type R LCA's I bought looked like they were in decent condition from the picture. But I won't really know until they show up on my doorstep, so we'll see. I'll hold off on the master bushing set for now.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?63690-FS-Cusco-Ingalls-DC5R-EP3-parts

But, you do have a point to just spend a little more and get the master bushing kit.

I hear you on the BC ball joints, I by all means don't plan to be slammed, it's not my style. I'm going max 2.5" drop to help lower the center of gravity. Anything past that and my car would need race quality parts to handle at such a lowered height (i.e. spherical bearings).

I've really driven the piss out of her :tehe:, but all the older guys at the auto-x have given me props for being the newest guy to mesh so well with his car and driving aggressively good. In only a year of driving I've gone from usually last place to placing 2nd and 3rd in my class, beating guys that have been doing this for 2+ years.

ep3jd
04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Or racelands :tehe: :lol:

EDIT: nevermind lol

USAF EP3
05-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Alright well here's an update:

eBay seller informs me last Friday that even though the auction said that had 10 available, they have none, and when they contacted Megan Racing they are on back order for a whole month...

I can't wait this long.

So he issues my refund, but it won't be through until the end of the week.

Now the crisis begins, if i can't have Megan's track series coilovers, who do I go with now?

Current brands I have been browsing, please chime in with any comments/concerns:

D2 Racing
Tein Flex
Progress Racing
:mbiggrin::mbiggrin:RACELANDS AWWW YEAAAA!:mbiggrin::mbiggrin:
^ that was sarcasm btw, lol

Anyways, I'm in a pickle and I don't want some POS suspension blowing out on me within the next auto-x season which is about a year. So whatever coilover setup I go with, I want it to last me at least a year of 1-2 track days a month.

Also, I haven't found any concrete information about using Type s axles or using Type R axles due to the fact I'll be using the DC5R front LCA's. I know they are slightly longer because of the longer steering track, but since I'm using type S hubs, can I just use Type S axles?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
i gotta energy suspension master bushing kit i needa get rid of

brand new unopened if you're interested i can get pics lmk

whatsvtec
05-10-2011, 11:13 PM
You can't find the Megan Track set-up on another site? Those seem like the best option because of the straight arm

Zzyzx
05-11-2011, 09:58 AM
OK STOP.

You need to take a serious look at the dampers these prebuilt coilovers have. The 1st thing to find out is if the adjusters on them change bump valving, rebound valving or both at the same time. If the answer is both at the same time, then that setup should be stricken from your potential choices. (indecently that removes everything but progress from your list)

No point in spending all this time and money trying to prep the car for competition to only shoot your self in the foot by getting dampers ill-suited for said competition.