PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Type-R from Germany.

elroygun
12-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Just a stupid question, but I saw pics of the 30th Anniversary Type-R in the Member's Rides forum and had to ask.

What would it take to import that car from Germany? Don't just say lot's of money...the actual procedure...if it's even possible. The driver's side is on the left side, so that isn't a problem...what other considerations are there?

That car is bad ass...I will go nuts if Honda decided to release that car here in the US in 2003. I would probably hold the whole honda delearship hostage and force them to take my Si back and trade for the Type-R.

Anyway, back to Germany...my girlfriend has a cousin stationed down there..and she is about to visit...just wondering about the possibilities.

BTW, check out the 30th ann type-r in the member's ride section, it's niiiice.

1fastminivan
12-25-2002, 02:23 PM
dont know if you have seen this........

www.evolutionimports.com

Mr.02BlackSIguY
12-25-2002, 02:35 PM
type r and 30th aniversary type r is sold in america for a long time now. you can buy one from evolutionimports.com its a grip load of money though... check the website out.

elroygun
12-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Damn...I wish I knew about this before I bought my Si.:'(

1 fstr si
12-25-2002, 07:50 PM
yeah man, me too. if i would have known about evolution imports before i bought my ep i would have soooooo ordered one from em, and especially a 30th enniversary edition in milano red.

redronin22
12-25-2002, 08:42 PM
your car wouldnt have a warranty that would be honored by honda though so think about that. PLUS what would insurance be like.

1 fstr si
12-25-2002, 09:05 PM
but, see, heres the thing. if you had one of the ONLY type r's in america, how often do you REALLY think you would drive it. i mean, with our roads and all the assholes on em, and if some asshole was drooling over ur R and hit it, how long do u think u wouyld have to wait for parts. personally, i would invest in an enclosed trailer and use that to transport it places if i wanted.BUT, dont be offended by my opinion, its just my 2 cents.

sancho61
12-25-2002, 10:25 PM
This is not really a type R engine it is not 220 hp but the type s engine 200 hp. made legal for USA

sancho61
12-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Or is it the RSX type R that is 220hp?

golferjn
12-25-2002, 10:30 PM
the civic type r engine is 200 hp. it's the integra type r engine that has 220 hp

elroygun
12-26-2002, 01:02 AM
If I think about it though...if I wanted the type-r with air conditioning and the 30th anniversary stuff, it would be like $27,000...$10K more than what I paid for my Si.

Not only that...but one of the first things that attracted me to the Si was the fact that it wasn't really that much more expensive than a Civic EX.

Buying a $27,000 car would give me a lot more options...WRX...IS300...RSX TYpe-S...3-series BMW...an Oddysey.

Anyway, I'll just consider an engine swap when my warranty runs out.

Import-a-TypeR
12-26-2002, 02:14 AM
FYI: Your first step would be to contact an ICI - Independant Commercial Importer. There are about 20 of them that the EPA certifies as being able to make cars EPA, DOT, and federally compiant.

FYI: Just it tests the cost is $4,700; any car would have to have that much done in tests. Then there is the import tax - 1.2%. There also is the $2,000 to $3,000 transportation fee - dealership to port > port to US port > US port to ICI > ICI to you. Then you add the cost of parts and labor which could be from any where between $2,000 to $15,000. The only thing going for you is that you don't have to pay the ~16% tax on the car when you buy it in Europe.

If you want to know more just let me know, but I think you know more than you wanted.

Silvershadow
01-02-2003, 11:13 PM
There's two EPHatach members that have CTRs here in the US.The Alyssa Milano(@@pps mind drifted) Red 30th is HOT.215 hp is the JDM(they keep the good stuff home)CTR.I quess our CTR is the RSX Type S.I think the German CTR is only 197hp.There is a way for you to get Your 30Th .Have your GF's cousin get it & import it to the US via Miltary Services with our tax dollars(free to him),then he sells it 2 u.The only problem with this is he might only b able 2 do this if he's being transfered back to the states.1 EPHatcher imported here it cuz he's in the miltary.-----------------------Silvershadow---Sorry the USMC claim might be bogus.Thread "And other R's here in the USA!!!'The thread got preety PETTY.

K20A3
01-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Silvershadow,

Being in the military only allows you to import vehicles that comply with US emissions and safety regulations. In order to import a non-US model you would have to have a letter of conformance from Honda which is not going to happen, or go through the same inspections, tests, modifications that any other importer does. The military "exemption" story is BOGUS.
And yes I am in the military and have been stationed in Europe in both England and Italy so I am not talking out of my ass.

cbecker333
01-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by elroygun
Just a stupid question, but I saw pics of the 30th Anniversary Type-R in the Member's Rides forum and had to ask.

What would it take to import that car from Germany? Don't just say lot's of money...the actual procedure...if it's even possible. The driver's side is on the left side, so that isn't a problem...what other considerations are there?

That car is bad ass...I will go nuts if Honda decided to release that car here in the US in 2003. I would probably hold the whole honda delearship hostage and force them to take my Si back and trade for the Type-R.

Anyway, back to Germany...my girlfriend has a cousin stationed down there..and she is about to visit...just wondering about the possibilities.

BTW, check out the 30th ann type-r in the member's ride section, it's niiiice.

It would really blow ass for us current Si owners if there wuz an even sweeter EP coming here. It would KILL our resale value, and the dealers are already saturated with EP3s they can't sell. Getting them to offer a reasonable price for the used EP would be quite a bit of work, if not impossible. AND you will be getting gouged on the type-R for at least 6 months when (if) it came here. Everybody I've talked to who bought their Si in April 2002 (like I did) was gouged, at least 2,000-3,000 above what is being offered now. The first EP I test drove had a sticker that said $21,440. Some toolshed probably bought that car....poor son of a bitch.

S800Racer
01-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333

Everybody I've talked to who bought their Si in April 2002 (like I did) was gouged, at least 2,000-3,000 above what is being offered now. The first EP I test drove had a sticker that said $21,440. Some toolshed probably bought that car....poor son of a bitch.

At least I'm not a "toolshed":) I bought mine in April & paid sticker ($19,400) but they did throw in a few extras like mudflaps & floormats.

If Honda ever looked at these forums, they might consider bringing in the TypeR. every time someone talks about importing a TypeR, the thread gets several hundred "views".

A TypeR would be soooo cool but right now it is much cheaper to do the engine swap.

modern-perf
01-03-2003, 03:55 PM
A TypeR would be soooo cool but right now it is much cheaper to do the engine swap.

Amen.