PDA

View Full Version : wheel out of shape.

AKAahlecks
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
when i went to get new rubber for my wheels today i noticed on the balancer that one of my wheels seemed to be... warped/bent out of shape. is there any way to fix it? or.. do i have to replace the rim?

powdbyrice
04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
yes, but it might be cheaper to get a new rim depending on the price of the rim.

it would have been cheaper for me to get a new rota than have it fixed.

AKAahlecks
05-01-2011, 01:41 AM
damn.. really? how do you go about fixing it, out of curiosity. currently sitting on volk ce28n 16x7 all around

talonXracer
05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
It is not a job that can be done at home, it requires very specific heating and pressure.

AKAahlecks
05-01-2011, 05:02 PM
oh i wasnt asking if it could be done at home i was wondering where you could take it to

socmex7
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
call around to shops in your area, one is bound to have a protocol for that type of thing. Price varies. if it's not too bad of a bend then its shouldn't cause too much discomfort to your ride quality. One of my wheels has a slight bend in them, the byproduct of getting used wheels, and I don't feel it as long as there's decent tread on my tires.

oldschoolimport
05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
grassroots motorsports profiled http://therimdoctor.com/ this month. they talked like it was about 100 or so per wheel.

powdbyrice
05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I was quoted about 150 from a reputable shop up here.

The damage to my rim was a 2" long flat spot on the inner lip. You could barely tell it was there, but it made balancing the wheel really difficult.

AKAahlecks
05-02-2011, 03:03 AM
call around to shops in your area, one is bound to have a protocol for that type of thing. Price varies. if it's not too bad of a bend then its shouldn't cause too much discomfort to your ride quality. One of my wheels has a slight bend in them, the byproduct of getting used wheels, and I don't feel it as long as there's decent tread on my tires.

ahh youre lucky haha its not too much discomfort but it does rattle the car a bit when driving at higher speeds, the faster i go, the more it rattles. and its also rather loud.... the wheel that is

grassroots motorsports profiled http://therimdoctor.com/ this month. they talked like it was about 100 or so per wheel.

aww damn.. sounds good, but im all the way in CA and theyre in FL

I was quoted about 150 from a reputable shop up here.

The damage to my rim was a 2" long flat spot on the inner lip. You could barely tell it was there, but it made balancing the wheel really difficult.

damn... 2in flat spot? sounds like it would be very noticeable
where are you located by the way? and what shop?

and thanks for all the replies guys, ill see if i can find anything

powdbyrice
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
im trying to find a picture of the flat spot...

i'm in norcal.

vennivettivecci
05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
if you're in so cal im sure there are TONS of shops that will do it for pretty cheap in garden grove/westminster area gl though i'd be pretty depressed if i bent ce28ns

AKAahlecks
05-02-2011, 04:26 PM
if you're in so cal im sure there are TONS of shops that will do it for pretty cheap in garden grove/westminster area gl though i'd be pretty depressed if i bent ce28ns

im not sure if it was my doing or the previous owner. when i bought the car the fronts were in teh back and the backs were in the front. when i rotated the tires thats when i started to hear the noise. at first i thought it was just the tire because the tread was low. i figured it that the tire just might have imperfections. so now my treads nearly gone, got new tires and when the wheel was on the balancer i saw it wobble like mad as if the center of the wheel was slightly off. so i think its bent or something.