PDA

View Full Version : Just got a drop in K&N filter.

icegrill
12-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Anybody have one of these yet? It looks pretty sweet. All of my mods are going to be subtle if any to motor.

JSIR
12-25-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm using one. It gained 3 whp from 6000 rpms to redline, about 1 whp at rpms below that point. I guess it is an okay mod.

02blksi
12-25-2002, 01:53 PM
cant beat their resuseability! --Joe who thinks for that reason alone its worth the money. --

!@#$%
12-25-2002, 05:23 PM
on the honda tuning rsx intake dyno's they lost .1 hp when installed. Basically u should get this if u never want to buy another filter. But its still 1/4 of the cost of a cai.

2K2SilverSi
12-25-2002, 11:53 PM
just make sure honda doesnt throw it away on accident and put in their filter if you take it there for a checkup. That would suck most definatly and I can see them doing it.

AJWUZHERE
12-27-2002, 11:53 AM
combine that K&N filter with this do it your self air box mod from Hondata.

http://www.hondata.com/kseriesairboxmod.html

IceD out N CALI
12-27-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
Anybody have one of these yet? It looks pretty sweet. All of my mods are going to be subtle if any to motor.

how does it sound? when i got my k&n drop in filter for my old si it made it sound a tad deeper/louder

icegrill
12-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Iced thats funny you say it's a little deeper cuz it is. I thought I was just wanting it to be but it does sound more "grunt" like when accelerating. Getting the filter housing off was a bitch though. I don't get why honda would make it so tight. I scratched the top of the housing which seemed unavoidable. I like this $40 mod. Peace

chubbychu
03-04-2003, 07:03 PM
well i was just arguing with my dad about this crap...and somewhere i heard that even though the k&n filter helps, the stock airbox is still restrictive...making it close to no help at all? is this true? cuz my dad is a "stock performance kinda guy" i think hes full of it...hell never believe me...he thinks im a dumass so yea whatever....

BlasTech
03-04-2003, 09:07 PM
There's an important point that were not bringing up here.

One of the big merits of the K&N system, is that after 12000 miles, when its filthy, it is designed to still let in lots of air. A dirty paper filter get closed up dramatically with dirt.

As for people throwing them away, they supply a sticker that says STOP! DO NOT THROW THIS FILTER AWAY to put on your air box.

We have one on the EK and it seems great...peppy at the top, where the engine wants some more air.

Makross
03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by AJWUZHERE
combine that K&N filter with this do it your self air box mod from Hondata.

http://www.hondata.com/kseriesairboxmod.html
has anyone tried this??? sounds tempting

chubbychu
03-04-2003, 11:38 PM
hmm...isnt this just like putting big holes in the airbox? is that safe? because if it is count me in! im just gonna go get a drill and drill away!woohooo or better yet...ill just take the top off completely.oh wait that wouldnt work well

does anyone have the instructions on how the stock airbox comes apart ?

NMTSi
03-05-2003, 08:09 AM
does anyone have the instructions on how the stock airbox comes apart ?

look at the airbox, it's pretty obvious how you open it up.

has anyone tried this??? sounds tempting
yes, at least 2 people on this forum have done this
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7483&highlight=air+box

batty
03-05-2003, 11:03 AM
The box modification was alittle dificult to accomplish. I would try to use a dremel with a cutting wheel instead of hacksaw due to space restrictions. I had to repair a 4inch gap from cutting slightly to deep.

Makross
03-05-2003, 01:58 PM
can you feel the difference in performance?:o

chubbychu
03-05-2003, 09:31 PM
no gains...according to my buttdyno...lol but it makes it sound mean...kinda like a muffer in the front of your car...lol

raiyo
03-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Anyone got a pic of a modded air box? Been wanting to do that.