PDA

View Full Version : Shake when braking at high speeds

JeffCO
05-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Hello all,

I am pretty new here and new to EP3's in general. I've been learning a lot and really enjoying this forum. I have only owned mine for about a month now. Great car! Loving it so far! But when I apply the brakes traveling at high speeds (60+mph) I feel a strange shake or shimmy rattle from the front end. Doesn't feel or sound right at all! To be more clear, the car runs and handles good the brakes function well at ordinary speeds.

Any ideas what I may be experiencing? Do I need new brake pads and rotors perhaps. Thoughts???

JeffCO
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Also, I have felt this shimmy on both EP's I have driven. The first one that I test drove and now on mine. That help at all?

Slip_Angle
05-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Rotors. Just get new one's, don't machine them.

Andrew
05-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Rotors. Just get new one's, don't machine them.

it sounds like your pads are warped, so as he stated get new rotors and check your current pads/rotors out. make sure everything is bolted up right. if that is not yet check if your wheels are balanced correctly

JeffCO
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
it sounds like your pads are warped, so as he stated get new rotors and check your current pads/rotors out. make sure everything is bolted up right. if that is not yet check if your wheels are balanced correctly

Warped pads? I think you meant to say warped rotors because I have never heard of brake pads warping!!

tht1guy
05-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Actually you can have uneven pad wear if you have a bad cv joint or axle. But most likely its your rotors that are warped from braking too hard from a high speed! If you resurface the rotors and take a zip wheel to the pads and smooth them over you should lose your vibration

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt...

oneglory
05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
oh god. not the warped rotors thing.

The rotors are most likely in need of replacing. Get the brembo direct replacement blanks. They are fine for daily driving.

Slip_Angle
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Pads and Rotors don't warp on road cars. The shaking is from pad material transferring to the rotors and that is what causes the vibration/shake. The fix is to machine or replace the rotors. I always opt for replacement.

oneglory
05-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Pads and Rotors don't warp on road cars. The shaking is from pad material transferring to the rotors and that is what causes the vibration/shake. The fix is to machine or replace the rotors. I always opt for replacement.

depends on how hard the vtec kicks in yo.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Brembo&model=Replacement+Rotor&group=Replacement+Rotor

I also used Centric rotors on the fronts with no problems what-so-ever.

JeffCO
05-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the intel guys!

tht1guy
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
You guys are oblivious if you dont think rotors warp on everyday cars! I have turned (resurfaced) many rotors and its most definetly possible to have warped rotor! Why else would you replace a rotor except for scarring! If the rotor is within spec you can turn the rotor and resurface the pad and get the same results as new parts. Ask any REAL mechanic they will say the same!

tht1guy
05-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Also resurfacing the rotors will give you a great opportunity to check out you tie rod ends, cv joints, and sway bar links that can also cause front end vibrations! Its also good to note that alignment and wheel balance can do a ton for a front end vibration. Just things to keep in mind!

oneglory
05-01-2011, 05:31 PM
You guys are oblivious if you dont think rotors warp on everyday cars! I have turned (resurfaced) many rotors and its most definetly possible to have warped rotor! Why else would you replace a rotor except for scarring! If the rotor is within spec you can turn the rotor and resurface the pad and get the same results as new parts. Ask any REAL mechanic they will say the same!

lol. You might want to give this a read: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

the cause of brake vibrations is the result of uneven transfer of brake pad material to the rotor, thus causing the variations in the rotor surface. You "cook" brake material onto the rotor after some hard braking and then keeping the brakes clamped on the rotor. The "cooked-on" material is called "cementite" and is pretty much permanent and makes the rotor have an uneven surface sometimes even turning won't remove.

You should stop going to these "real" mechanics.

OP: Get new rotors, and if you have some hard braking in the furture...try to release the brakes when you come to a stop as soon as possible.

tht1guy
05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry! Didn't mean to give my input! Never actually seen this work! I've just thrown out this junk information to spread the lies! All shops that turn rotors do it for no reason and it's crazy to think that they might actually fix brake problems on a regular basis.