PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on Koni install!

NyCSnEaK
05-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Hey fellow Ephatchers,

I ran into some issues with my Koni insert install yesterday. After gutting my 05 Si's strut housings for the new Koni's did not fit into the opening. The part number is 8610 1415S (55mm). I do know that the earlier Si's came with 50mm strut housings, but were changed over to 55mm on the later models. Hence, the reason why Ep3's have two strut options from Koni.

To the members who have them or have used them, I measured 46mm - 6mm = 40mm cut from the top of oem strut for the opening. You measure from the top of the Koni insert to the raised bumps as stated in the provided instructions. Im kind of pissed off and baffled on why my 05 may have the 50mm housing. I bought all new bumpstops and tie rod ends to do it right, since I was already in there.

Can anyone give me any help or advice on what went wrong or if I did something incorrectly? If my problem is indeed the 50mm housing, does any member have the 55mm housing laying around for me to purchase. The EP is outta commission till I get the right parts. Thanks guys and gals for looking.

:mconfused:
Yaq

mitchell_ep3
05-04-2011, 05:57 AM
i had to cut 50mm off the top of my struts.... and my box has a HUGE sticker on it saying FOR 50MM STRUT ONLY
and from clubrsx... there was only one strut option for me :S

and i believe only the em2's came with 55 mm housings.... ALL ep3's come in 50
my 03 ep3 is 50mm

NyCSnEaK
05-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Thats where the confusion begins... On koni's USA website it gives two options for strut inserts and from all that I have gathered on ephatch.com and clubep3.com, it seems that in the middle cycle of 03 the strut housings were changed to 55mm. If what you say is correct, then my only option seems to be that I have to get some RSX housings? Does it make a difference if I get base or type-s housings in regards to 55mm? Thanks Mitchell for the prompt repy.

NyCSnEaK
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Anyone ever use RSX strut housings in their ep3 to fit the 55mm koni inserts? If so, is their any differences between the base and type-s strut housings, besides the damping and spring rates?

mitchell_ep3
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
and you'll need rsx tie rod ends awell to add to your list

NyCSnEaK
05-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I am aware I need the tie rod ends if I end using the RSX housings, thanks anyway though. The question that has me in a pickle, is if both type-s and base are 55mm?