PDA

View Full Version : REMOVAL of stock air box..K&N Air filter+pvc pipe=hp gains ? true or false

mixedupneko
12-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Ive seen alot of people just buy the k&n air filer and a pvc pipe and construct a short ram intake ive also seen a cold air intake made out of pvc. You think there are any gains or sound diff ? Also if i was to do this would i clamp the pvc pipe to the plastic part that already comes from the intake manifold or could I put the pvc pipe straight from the Intake manifold or would it melt ? mite be a stupid question. but just wondering

ALCT
12-25-2002, 06:42 PM
why not buy the real thing?

Gasp23
12-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Isn't PVC like really harmful if it burns? Just my thoughts.

mixedupneko
12-25-2002, 09:06 PM
i am really poor and all my momey will be spent on turbo. Im just looking for a quick fix for fun for now.

ALCT
12-25-2002, 09:12 PM
I say don't risk your engine, if it was that easy to gain hp with a piece of PVC pipe, everyone would do it.

rice_eater GT
12-26-2002, 01:06 AM
First off, the PVC pipe would defeat the purpose of a cai because it retains heat. Second, it's hard as hell finding a PVC pipe with the correct lenght and angle to be able to pull off the project.
Last, here's some insider information for you that a few people have discovered already: go on ebay and buy a short ram intake for a RSX type S and you're set. That intake will fit on your car with just a few minot custom modifications. Two simple obstacles you will need to overcome, you will need to fabricate a mounting bracket and find a good mounting point.

Total cost: $35

rgGolf4
12-26-2002, 09:45 AM
On my previous car, a 2000 VW Golf, I constructed a CAI from PVC and a 9in cylinder K&N. It worked fine. I did not however connect it straight to my MAF (or MAS) as most aftermarkets. I cut a hole in the stock airbox (i cut out the baffles) and ran the pvc down the side of the engine bay and then down to behind the lower grill. I then cut some slits into the grill for a "ram air" effect. I got some sound out of it, probably not as loud as a SR or CAI, but the main thing is that it worked. I do not know if it would be possible to run one on the EP. I know they make pvc in 45 and 90 degree angles, as well as rubber joints. Plus, pvc is 3in inside diameter, and probably about 3.5in outside. They are big, plus the connecting "female ends" probably run around 4in in outside diameter. It could be possible, but the large pipes, weird angles, and "closeness" to the engine may not be the best. The Golf's air intake is a little farther away from high heat and I experienced no melting or anything from that setup.

Just a reminder. Air travels trhough piping just like water. PVC is a little tougher to make smooth on the inside. The joints and bends create turbulent air which may not benefit the car as it is injesting. That is why AEM and others have engineers who design these things to make minimal turbulence. I tried counteracting that by cutting out the airbox baffles, using silicon to "weld" the connections as well as smooth out as many joints as possible and using no 90degree angles. The amount of time and materials i spent could have paid for an AEM, but I like building things and doing it myself. I was happy with the results.

I had no problems with it retaining heat. As a matter of fact, I have always thought that metal conducts heat much better...anyway.

If you are confident in your "mechanical" skills, I say go for it. You have nothing to lose...other than some time and a few bucks on pvc.

Parts- K&N filter $40(9in cylinder with rubber neck), pvc 10 ft(only length from Home Depot, get it cut there), 45 degree rubber bend with clamp $5, silicone $3.

RocketHatch
12-26-2002, 10:46 AM
I took my stock air box out but left the stock elbow in. I had a 3" j bend so I cut it to make the downward bend to the filter. I welded a small tube on the top of the 3" pipe for the crank case vent. I then welded a bracket on to hold it in place. I then I
powder coated it. The whole thing cost me about 40 bucks and it works very well. The filter is a knock off K&N.

TrippZ
12-26-2002, 03:57 PM
isnt PVC really easily damaged by heat?

RiCeCoOkEr1280
12-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater GT
go on ebay and buy a short ram intake for a RSX type S and you're set. That intake will fit on your car with just a few minot custom modifications. Two simple obstacles you will need to overcome, you will need to fabricate a mounting bracket and find a good mounting point.

Total cost: $35

Correction... If you buy the TYPE-S intake, no fabrication of mounting brackets is necessary... Just don't buy the base model... Make sure it's the Type-s...

TrippZ
01-12-2003, 04:32 PM
also, its more like $43 :X

BlasTech
01-12-2003, 05:20 PM
While were on the subject, didnt someone modify thier airbox with a cold air source into the stock box? Did that ever get any results?

JSIR
01-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Blastech, I've got the additional air feed into the stock box, I am planning on dyno tuning it this weekend coming, hopefully she works half decently.

Gibhunter
01-13-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by mixedupneko
Ive seen alot of people just buy the k&n air filer and a pvc pipe and construct a short ram intake ive also seen a cold air intake made out of pvc. You think there are any gains or sound diff ?

I put a cone type air filter straight on the tube that goes from the intake manifold to the airbox. The gains and sound improvement are both very noticeable. It also only costs $20 so if you try it and later decide that you don't like it, you're only out $20.