PDA

View Full Version : Any way to find the truth?

02TafWhtSi
07-18-2002, 06:21 PM
OK, anyone know a LEGITIMATE resource that might be able to fill us in on if Honda is planning to bring us the EP Generation Type R in the near future? All I have seen are bits and pieces from magazines and websites but I'm not sure that they are too reliable. Car and Driver said that the chances are "very good" in their 2002 March issue but thats about as professional a source as I could find. Of course Honda isn't saying a word, go figure. HondaTech - heard anything?

SmoothOperator
07-18-2002, 06:32 PM
I'm almost tired of hearing all the rumours. They've been going around forever!

iR-VTEC2
07-18-2002, 06:45 PM
I called a local honda dealership here. I have a friend that works here and he said that the honda corp isn't even telling the dealers what's up with the type R. It's as if honda of north america is unsure of the situation.

DownTheHatch
07-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Civic Type-R in America? :rolleyes:

Jesse02SI
07-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Well if there not comin over ill just have to Ship parts on over for my ep's engine

DonTheHatch that was some funny shit:D

02TafWhtSi
07-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
Civic Type-R in America? :rolleyes:

What, thats so hard to believe? We had the Integra Type R so why not the Civic? All it takes is a table of big shots in Japan to make the decision and we are in automotive bliss :D

todaCspec
07-18-2002, 08:39 PM
don't sweat it! HaSport already did the swap w/type-S and they hit 15.2 quarter mile.stock si does 15.7. no biggie,kind of piggish!
need to do some serious weight reduction.

Sooky
07-18-2002, 08:52 PM
i think it would kinda suck if they brought in the type r's... or at least for those who bout the si already.................... i rather wait one more year and get a type r than end up w/ an si for who knows how long

1fastminivan
07-18-2002, 08:57 PM
I dont know about ya'll but I think If they did bring it over whenever next year or whenever, I think I would probably trade my car in again, and go into some serious debt.hehe I would love the Type R!:D

BlazeX12
07-18-2002, 09:13 PM
i would settle for the body kit and spoiler.

MagusDC5
07-18-2002, 09:17 PM
wouldn't count on it. However it would be sweet to see EP3's importing the Type R pieces (recaros, lip kits etc).

Pradamuimui
07-19-2002, 12:24 AM
I talked to the guy that I bought my Si from and he said that Honda had NO NEAR FUTURE PLANS of importing the Type R to the U.S.A. He said that one of the biggest reasons why was because of the emmission standards in this country. He said that if they did they would have to tone it down some so the U.S. would handle the type r emmissions.

RacingCivicSi02
07-19-2002, 12:32 AM
How many of u Think our CARS are to FAT???

beretta627
07-19-2002, 01:28 AM
First of all, dealers are morons: they have no clue what Honda America is actually deciding/not deciding over in Pasadena, California. The so called "big wigs" of Honda America have long decided that a niche market item, the CTR, will not be worth the expensive crash-testing necessary to import the car to the US. As I'm told the CTR has about a 1" lower ride height than the new Si, necessitating separate crash tests. Projected sales don't justify initial costs.

Mechanic
07-19-2002, 06:30 AM
I don't think that our efforts to find out whether Honda USA will import the CTR via Honda dealers will produce much useful information. And, I don't think it's because the dealers, as a whole, are inept. It's much more likely that we, Honda nuts, will find out what Honda's planning by following the enthusiast press. Someone, perhaps Hans Lehmann, will spot an "R" in testing in Nevada, and the photo will show up in AutoWeek; or someone at the EPA will leak an emissions test result tendered by Honda of Britain. (The latter will get you fired, by the way.)

But, my point is, the dealers are principally interested in moving product. At your typical Honda store, you and I are viewed as obsessed. Nuts, in other words. We are not Honda's principal customers by a long shot. So, it's unlikely that anyone at your typical Honda store is breathlessly awaiting news as to whether Type R's are on the boat, so to speak.

My recent experience with an Acura store will make my point. I worked with a salesman who wanted to sell me a RSX-S. (This was before I bought the Si, of course.) I liked the RSX-R for the same reasons I like my Si. But, just as I want an CTR, wanted a RSX Type R. It became clear to me that the only thing the salesman wanted was to make a deal, any deal. He was polite enough, but the entire concept of working with me over a period of months to sell a more expensive car (at list), was lost on this guy; all he wanted was a deal then. When I told him that I'd buy an Si as a daily driver and wait for the RSX-R, his eyes glazed over. A future sale just didn't compute.

My point is that these guys are in the cash business, not the car news business or the potential-sale-next-year business

vteclimey
07-19-2002, 07:48 AM
I doubt very much you will get the CTR.

Consider first the situation we have here in the UK.

We have just got the CTR, we never got the last CTR but we did have the Civic VTi and we did have the ITR.

We now no longer have a Civic VTi, but we do have a Civic Sport which has a detuned CTR lump. But it is nothing like the VTi was. Honda UK have simply replaced the VTi with the Type R.

We do not appear to be getting the new Integra at all.

Now in the UK hatches sell well and coupes don't, so the ITR didn't sell as well as Honda would have liked and the CTR is selling by the bucket.

Now what does that mean to you guys?

Well, I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that coupes sell better in the US and you already have a Civic Si which fits between our Civic Sport and our CTR. So with you getting the ITR I see no reason why Honda will create a LHD CTR when you already have the Si and the ITR.

02TafWhtSi
07-19-2002, 03:36 PM
VTi, Si, CTR, ITR, LHD - Jeez thats alot of abbreviations! All kidding aside I believe Honda WILL import the Type R but just not that soon. They will weigh the pros and cons of retrofitting the Euro and Japanese spec Type R to the U.S. standards (emissions, crash tests) for about a year and then will maybe decide the sales profits will exceed these costs and ultimitely import it. IMO this will be a HUGE step forward for Honda as a whole and will put to rest any bitching that Honda has lost their stuff with this new 7th generation of Civics. This EP Type R is an amazing machine that will hand most cars on the road here in the states their asses in both acceleration, looks, and handling. Our Si is a step in the right direction but we are all still left wanting more...

SmoothOperator
07-19-2002, 06:20 PM
I couldn't afford the Type R anyways...:(

BlazeX12
07-20-2002, 08:28 PM
I doubt the Type R will come over, why you ask? Reason #1 The Si isnt selling as well as Honda had thought. So why bring over a similar car, that is going to cost more to import? Reason #2 Importing cost, the prelude was discontnued because it couldnt compete with the mustang in terms of price, the mustang, which is in the same class, out sold the prelude about 4 to 1. Why? because the mustang was domestic, and made here, and cost alot less, prelude was imported and cost too much therefore no one could really afford it. (got this info from a magazine, if im incorrect please feel free to correct me) Reason #3 Two words Ford Focus. Same problem of keeping the price down as with the prelude, Focus is cheaper becasue its domestic, and Well 95% of Americans are cheap. Typical American: OK. i can pay $24,000 for this Honda Type R, or i can buy the American Version Ford Focus for thousands less. I'll take the focus. We as honda lovers make up a very small percent of the car buying world. Just my2 cents.

DownTheHatch
07-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Here is the source of the rumors: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page014.html

02TafWhtSi
07-21-2002, 07:06 AM
Try this link: This is the Car and Driver source of my frustration that I mentioned earlier in this thread:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/march/200203_feature_foxes_sidebar_depravity.xml

* read the very last "possiblity of U.S. sale" *

02SilverSiHB
07-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
OK, anyone know a LEGITIMATE resource that might be able to fill us in on if Honda is planning to bring us the EP Generation Type R in the near future? All I have seen are bits and pieces from magazines and websites but I'm not sure that they are too reliable. Car and Driver said that the chances are "very good" in their 2002 March issue but thats about as professional a source as I could find. Of course Honda isn't saying a word, go figure. HondaTech - heard anything?
it'll never happen. Japan's to smart. Besides, they can't have it running around blowing past the rsx type-s :D

02TafWhtSi
07-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
it'll never happen. Japan's to smart. Besides, they can't have it running around blowing past the rsx type-s :D

But if the sales potential is there, and I'm sure it will be, then why would Honda care? Let me let you in on something - no matter how many great cars Honda or any other car manufacturer designs and sells ALL of these cold-hearted companies are still just out for the almighty dollar, or yen, or whatever. When all the smoke clears at the end of the day all anyone really cares about is money. So if Honda really believes it'll make a profit off the Type R then it will import it here - guaranteed.

BlazeX12
07-22-2002, 10:06 PM
Hatches dont sell in america, peroid, its not coming, thats why they made the last Si a coupe, it sold like hot cakes, our Si is not selling like hot cakes. The ITR was more coupe then hatch, so it came over and sold. They discontinues the last coupes, i think in '99, cause they werent selling. The day the civic tpye R is a coupe is the day it comes to america. Thats my story and im sticking to it.

02TafWhtSi
07-23-2002, 04:09 PM
Really? I'm surprised to hear that about hatches. I can't even begin to count how many Focus ZX3's, Golfs/GTis, and early model Civic hatches (DX/CX/Si) I see on a daily basis, at least in my area (central NJ). How do you define a car or type of car as not selling well?

DJQuikFingaz
07-23-2002, 04:18 PM
It seems to me that the people who don't believe they're coming are the ones who already have an Si or have an si and just can't afford it. But hey, who am I to know if you can afford it or not. I agree with you TafWht on the hatch issue. I see sooooo many each day over here in central CA.

Edit: To be honest, the Type R is part of my reason for not having a 02 si. If waiting for the Type R is wrong, I don't want to be right.

BlazeX12
07-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Ok, first thing i need to do is correct my last post, i meant they dicontinued the hatch in '99 not the coupe. And in regards to seeing alot of hatches in your area, i do see a decent amount here to in northren VA, but overall sales numbers for all of america, coupes outnumber hatches 3 to 1... i dont have stats to back this up, but i remember reading it somewhere, and it is possilbe that they may bring it over due to the succes of the focus, but we run into to the problem i stated earlier, the focus is cheaper, and america will buy it over the type R, like the prelude over the mustang, and the fact that the new Si isnt selling like hot cakes, might scare honda into not bringing over a car similar to the Si.

DJQuikFingaz
07-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Try this link: This is the Car and Driver source of my frustration that I mentioned earlier in this thread:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...r_depravity.xml

* read the very last "possiblity of U.S. sale" *

I don't understand, it says "Honda says...". I take it that's not a reliable source. I guess we'll have to wait till we see something directly on Honda's website. Right?

MagusDC5
07-23-2002, 04:43 PM
better start saving pennies for the swap hasport did. (http://tech.hybridgarage.com/) As much as id like to see it, theres never been a CTR here, and I dont think there going to start.

DJQuikFingaz
07-23-2002, 04:45 PM
theres never been a CTR here, and I dont think there going to start.
There's always change.

02TafWhtSi
07-23-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by DJQuikFingaz

There's always change.

I wasn't involved with the import "Scene" or whatever you want to call it in the mid to late 90's but I guarantee that there were many people just like us who doubted Honda would ever bring the US the Integra Type R and then in 1998 they did! I personally think its only a matter of time until we see the CTR here - it just makes too much sense especially in todays auto market. Almost all major companies are attempting to cash in on sport compacts but where Honda is losing its firm grip which it has held for all these many years. The King must lay down the law.

02SilverSiHB
07-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

I wasn't involved with the import "Scene" or whatever you want to call it in the mid to late 90's but I guarantee that there were many people just like us who doubted Honda would ever bring the US the Integra Type R and then in 1998 they did! I personally think its only a matter of time until we see the CTR here - it just makes too much sense especially in todays auto market. Almost all major companies are attempting to cash in on sport compacts but where Honda is losing its firm grip which it has held for all these many years. The King must lay down the law.
I want it sooooo bad. It gets me soooooo worked up. I'm pathetic :D

DJQuikFingaz
07-23-2002, 08:51 PM
I wasn't involved with the import "Scene" or whatever you want to call it in the mid to late 90's but I guarantee that there were many people just like us who doubted Honda would ever bring the US the Integra Type R and then in 1998 they did! I personally think its only a matter of time until we see the CTR here - it just makes too much sense especially in todays auto market. Almost all major companies are attempting to cash in on sport compacts but where Honda is losing its firm grip which it has held for all these many years. The King must lay down the law

Exactly man! All it's gonna take is time. People act like "OH IT WILL NEVER COME HERE" but common if people ask for it they will get it, but all in time.

MagusDC5
07-23-2002, 08:56 PM
True, but Honda is only in it for the money, which theyve proved time and time again. What is their main concern for bringing the R's? "They are limited production and we dont want to spend so much money on crash tests for a car that will only sell 1000 Units". Add octane issues with the new Integra Type R and how it would conflict with Type S being their highest trim just adds more drama. :(

BlazeX12
07-23-2002, 08:58 PM
This thread could go on foreever, or at least until the type R comes over.. everything everyone has said about the type R coming over makes alot of sense. includung whoever it was that said us Si owners dont want it to come over... in my case thats true too... i bought my EX in 99 thinking i got the top of the line civic, 1 month later came the Si, damn! i buy the Si in 02 thinking i got the top of the line this time, damn if it comes over i'll be second again!!!! Well, i plan to force induce my Si, so it might be better condsidering the type r is meant to be N/A. but still, type R just looks so pretty on your car!!!

DJQuikFingaz
07-23-2002, 08:58 PM
Another "rumor"???? I remember seeing this in my magazine a couple months ago.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:hdUxW2_alKwC:www.sportcompactcarweb .com/archives/features/feature01_0502.shtml+Civic+Type-R+sport+compact&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

edit:
If Honda is smart enough to bring it over, and we've heard rumors about 2003, it'll be interesting to see how it sets the pricing.

02TafWhtSi
07-24-2002, 07:37 PM
but thats just it - everything right now is JUST rumors - Honda has made no official statements:(