PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Engine Flush

Kerby
05-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm thinking of putting this in my engine oil prior to changing the oil.
Its suppose to remove sludge.

Directions state you pour the entire bottle in and let it idle for 10-15mins.
Then completely drain the oil/flush mixture. Finally, add new oil change w/ new filter.

my only concern is how this flush will treat the rubber seals and piston rings.

What are you guys' thoughts?
Is there another brand you have used with great success?

tht1guy
05-07-2011, 10:25 AM
We use to do these on cars with a bg treatment. To me it's just something to get people to buy! The only thing I believe in is the fuel induction services but if you don't know what your doing you can hydro lock your motor by doing that so ask a professional!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt...

bizzle
05-07-2011, 11:10 AM
If that stuff is anything like I've used before (on a different car), it's essentially just kerosene. I did it twice in my 240sx, it basically liquifies everything and just pours out very very thin.

My father was an auto mechanic for many decades and he used to have a guy come in at every oil change have him just dump a quart of kerosene in the engine, let it run, and flush out before changing oil. The first time (back in the 80s) the guy asked for this, my dad was a little hesitant to do, but the guy insisted he did it.

My issue with it is some of the gunk it's flushing may be the only thing holding the seals and gaskets together enough to not have fluids poor out everywhere.

edit: did some looking around the see the Amsoil is not the same as the product I used before, but does the same thing.

Kerby
05-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't do this every oil change... I just want to do it this one time.

talonXracer
05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
If you have been using quality oil there will be zero sludge already, modern engine oils have a detergent added that prevents sludge deposits, dont take that ford commercial seriously, where they remove the VC and there is a ton of sludge,(that was all put there on purpose). There will be a slight varnish on surfaces, especially in the vacuum ports, but the flush wont touch that. That big issues with these flush products is that it will still be in the engine oil with simply draining it out the pan, the engine still has another quart and a half held internally after draining the pan!!! A dry new K20 engine holds 6.1 quarts of oil and there is 4.7 quarts when you drain the pan(at midpoint on the dipstick).

bizzle
05-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't do this every oil change... I just want to do it this one time.

I understand, I am just saying.

Also, the Ford commercial is big time lolz.

AKEP
05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
that ford commercial is foreals....

on FORDS!

bchaney
05-07-2011, 05:18 PM
The commercial shows sludge buildup from not changing your oil. If you've changed your oil at the scheduled interval I wouldn't worry about it. You could be doing more harm than good.

BlownSi05
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Agreed, if you change your oil at normal intervals and use a quality oil, you should not have to worry about this. I will say that I did do this on my EP at around 100K miles. I put in in, ran the car as per instructions, changed the oil with a lower priced synthetic, drove it around for about 30 minutes. I then drained again and put in AMSOIL. Who knows if it really did anything, but the engine seemed smoother. Could have just been in my head though.

bizzle
05-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Agreed, if you change your oil at normal intervals and use a quality oil, you should not have to worry about this. I will say that I did do this on my EP at around 100K miles. I put in in, ran the car as per instructions, changed the oil with a lower priced synthetic, drove it around for about 30 minutes. I then drained again and put in AMSOIL. Who knows if it really did anything, but the engine seemed smoother. Could have just been in my head though.
That's good to know. I got your old car with 112k and and I'm at 123k now and she's still holding all her fluids, so it didn't blow out any seals. Zero leaks.

BlownSi05
05-09-2011, 05:17 AM
That's good to know. I got your old car with 112k and and I'm at 123k now and she's still holding all her fluids, so it didn't blow out any seals. Zero leaks.

Good deal. Didn't recognize the new screen name man until I read your PM...lol.

I drove her hard but pampered the hell out of her as well.

Kerby
05-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys for all your responses. i appreciate BlownSi comment and also the follow up from bizzle.
I'm going to do the oil change today... so I still have all day to think it over if i still want to try this stuff while at work.
I'll let you guys know what I decide on.