PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Analysis

Lucid Moments
05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
So after my last track day I sent my oil off to Blackstone for analysis. I typically change the oil before every track day, but that is getting a little expensive so I'm trying to extend that interval.

The engine is a s/c K24 frank. Pistons, rods, cams, valvesprings etc. The oil is Amsoil 10W-40 premium protection.

So help me interpret the results.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/Lucid_Moments/1.jpg

talonXracer
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
What type of valve spring retainers are you running Mike?

You are getting some fuel past the rings and into the fuel, could be an atomization issue or a rich portion of the fuel map.

Lucid Moments
05-13-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm running Skunk2 Ti retainers.

talonXracer
05-13-2011, 06:11 AM
I would check the retainers for wear, i had elevated levels of Ti in my oil analysys and upon opening the VC I discovered alot of wear on the retainers in just 10K miles. The wear is from the spring rotating during operation, the retainer does not rotate, this causes significant wear, Ti is stronger in tensile strength, but has a much lower Rockwell hardness than the steel springs and thusly the wear.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/tiretainerwear2big.jpg

USAF EP3
05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. I think I want to do this once my K24 frank build is finished as well. I wonder if there are any type of local oil analysis labs here in Florida.

How much does it costs you guys on average to get the analysis done?

Well, Google, here I come!

talonXracer
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
What Injectors are you running? Do you have idle/high idle tuned a little fat to help cooling?

Lucid Moments
05-13-2011, 06:45 PM
What Injectors are you running? Do you have idle/high idle tuned a little fat to help cooling?

I'm running RC 650s. I attribute most of the fuel in the sample to error on my part. I didn't read the sample instructions thoroughly and let the car idle to bring the oil up to temp. And that was after a couple of times with very short running periods while I loaded and unloaded the car from the trailer and backed it out of the garage so I could clean the garage out etc. Next time I'm going to take a sample right when I come off the track while the oil is still fully up to temp and has been there for a little bit and see what happens.

Lucid Moments
05-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. I think I want to do this once my K24 frank build is finished as well. I wonder if there are any type of local oil analysis labs here in Florida.

How much does it costs you guys on average to get the analysis done?

Well, Google, here I come!

The analysis is $25 and they send you the sample bottle for free. I sprang $30 for their siphon kit so I can sample the oil without changing it.

bchaney
05-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Have you considered running conventional oil on your track days? Or maybe a cheaper synthetic?

Although you're beating on that oil pretty hard in 97 miles, I think you may be fine with something that wears a little quicker. Amsoil PP should go for much more than 6400 in an average engine. That tells me there is still quite a bit of use left in that oil (if there wasn't excess lead and fuel) - I would try to find an oil that is almost "spent" after a track day. That way you're not throwing away oil with another 10k mi of use in it.

You should post this on bobistheoilguy.com forums if you haven't already. They will prob give you more insight.