PDA

View Full Version : k20a head is off.. what else should I do?

urthworm
05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
So im finally installing my blue print stage 2 cams. I am having the head port and polished, installing the cams, installing supertech valve springs and retainers, replacing the timing chain tensioner with my toda one i never really used on my old setup, and new timing chain (just because i want to).
Im am also debating using a thinner head gasket and a mishimoto thermostate. Anything else you folks can think of or suggest while the head is off? Thanks.

Oh current mods are
k20a
mugen twin loop
buddy club race header
rrc intake mani, ported
ported throttle body
hondata intake mani gasket
password jdm intake
rdx injectors with return line
kpro

talonXracer
05-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Leave the thin head gasket and mishimoto Tstat out of the mix.

USAF EP3
05-14-2011, 12:08 PM
When you get this dyno'd update us on those Blueprint stage 2 cams. I would like to see where those cams like to make power and if you have a comparison to the original Type R cams.

They have my engine work currently and I was debating to either go with their stage 2's or stage 2+.

urthworm
05-15-2011, 03:18 PM
i didnt dyno the k20a.. i did remote tuning. But i can do a 1/4mile run and let you know how it does compared to the stock k20a.

urthworm
05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Leave the thin head gasket and mishimoto Tstat out of the mix.

so the thinner gasket and tstat are worthless?

talonXracer
05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
The thin gasket causes tuning issues. And the tstat is best to stay with the stockie though it isnt worthless at all, the lower opening temp can help in hot climates if you have cooling issues, I wouldnt go for it unless there was.

urthworm
09-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Well the car is finished. first off.. as of now these cams dont like low rpms at all. They seem to make less power until about 6000rpms and then they really take off! we are still working on the tuning, so with some adjustment we might be able to get some more power out or the midrange.

I didnt dyno the stock type r so i cant compare numbers. However with every mod ive done i race my wife in our 2008 sti and i went from being pulled in third by a car and by the top of forth by almost 2 cars. Now i stay slightly ahead until 4th and by the time i switch into 5th we are dead even. Dang turbos just dont stop pulling. And yes my wife knows how to drive.

These cams didnt stop making power all the way up to 8800 rpms and probably would have still made power till 9k but i didnt want to push the oil pump any harder. I am pleased with top end but if i were to get caught in a race at low rpms with a car with more torque id b fucked. k26 here i come!

04SiSpeed
09-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Do you have the adj. exhuast cam gear? Timing may need to be advanced with a new lobe pattern but could be wrong. Or your cams arnt ment for top end power i am not familiar with them so couldnt truely say there either. Just throwing out ideas.