PDA

View Full Version : New owner...old question (low beams not working)

OH10_EP3
05-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Hello all. If this thread is in the wrong section, moderators please feel free to move it.

I am a new EP3 owner, having just bought one for my daily commute to my new job.

Upon inspection of the car, I noticed that both low-beams do not work. So, I tested all fuses and relays, replaced the bulbs, and wired in new connectors. Still nothing.

I contacted Honda to see if my VIN qualified for a recall. Negative.

So, now I'm looking at replacing the actually switch on the steering wheel, probably off ebay. Any suggestions as to compatibility? It appears most people list them as compatible with most other models (Elements, Pilots, CR-V's etc) Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

apexracing
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Do you own a multi meter? I would pull the steering column cover off and check for the proper voltage at the plug that connects to the headlight switch. you can take the switch apart and clean it with spray electrical contact cleaner. let it dry then reassemble.

Heitzke
05-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Hello all. If this thread is in the wrong section, moderators please feel free to move it.

I am a new EP3 owner, having just bought one for my daily commute to my new job.

Upon inspection of the car, I noticed that both low-beams do not work. So, I tested all fuses and relays, replaced the bulbs, and wired in new connectors. Still nothing.

I contacted Honda to see if my VIN qualified for a recall. Negative.

So, now I'm looking at replacing the actually switch on the steering wheel, probably off ebay. Any suggestions as to compatibility? It appears most people list them as compatible with most other models (Elements, Pilots, CR-V's etc) Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

What year is your car? Some of the earlier EP's had headlight wiring issues, and wires would literally burn up and leave symptoms similar to yours.

OH10_EP3
05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
What year is your car? Some of the earlier EP's had headlight wiring issues, and wires would literally burn up and leave symptoms similar to yours.

I've got a 2002, so it is defiantly the earlier produced models of the generation.

Do you own a multi meter? I would pull the steering column cover off and check for the proper voltage at the plug that connects to the headlight switch. you can take the switch apart and clean it with spray electrical contact cleaner. let it dry then reassemble.

Yes, I do own a multi meter, so I'll try this out. Any idea what proper voltage to the plug is? I think I read that one of the wires has is a larger gauge than needed and carries excess voltage to the switch burning them out.

apexracing
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
if its headlight then it should be 12v same as the signal bulbs, i'm not 100% about the gauge cluster bulbs but they should be 12 too. what you want to do is get the color of the low beam bulb wires and check them with the meter back at the headlight switch.

Grookes
05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
More info here...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?35251-Recall-notice-Low-beams-%28sorry-if-already-posted%29