PDA

View Full Version : Head Light HOusing

SpeedRacer
07-18-2002, 06:35 PM
I took my headlight apart with a heat gun and painted my headlight housing black on my white EP and it looks fucking awesome so dont copy me J/K My friend already copied me with my help on his Black si and it looks even better on his car. If you have a black car i strongly recomend this mod it made he front end look so much better and if you have a white car and planning to go with a carbon fiber hood and other black accents on your car then i strongly recomend this mod to you as well

P.S. Just cost whatever the paint cost. You can buy the black JDM lights for are car for 500+ plus if you want or do it your self for like 30$ and about 5Hr.s of work this includes drying time.

DownTheHatch
07-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Actually I had plans to do this tomorrow.

Here's what I've worked up so far.

I've looked over 100's of type-r photos to get the maskings just right and I know exactly what I will mask, right around the turnsignal and I will mask inside the small circle running light's reflector part. I'm gonna pick up some painter's masking tape, the blue stuff to mask this.

Everything else is going to be a light gunmetal coat just like the type-r. My paint of choice will be the Plasti-Kote Rebuilders Cast Finish spray paint, it is high-temp and looks so beautiful in person.

Okay now I've decided to take this advice here on oven treatment: http://www.torontocivics.com/articles/headlights/headlights.html

I'm still a little chicken but I think once I get started the adrenaline will start pumping.

Here's what it will look like when I'm done, hopefully, but I don't think my paint is that glossy, I'll have to find something a little shinier.

http://www.ephatch.com/gallery/typer/typer29.jpeg

SmoothOperator
07-18-2002, 07:39 PM
Man I'll give you guys credit...that takes GUTS! DownTheHatch....I'm a little confused. Are you going with a "flat black" or a shinier paint? I'd go with a flat black all the way.

oh yeah, one more thing...Can't way to see your results! Good Luck man!!

Jesse02SI
07-18-2002, 07:48 PM
Definately shoot some pics

DownTheHatch
07-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Smooth, I went out and looked at an old sidemarker housing I painted with the paint and I think it looks good enough, not too glossy not too flat.

You think I should use flat black? I'm kinda tired of the flat black housing, alot of cars have it now, I think its cool that the type-r had gunmetal housing.

SBC31
07-19-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
I took my headlight apart with a heat gun and painted my headlight housing black on my white EP and it looks fucking awesome so dont copy me J/K My friend already copied me with my help on his Black si and it looks even better on his car. If you have a black car i strongly recomend this mod it made he front end look so much better and if you have a white car and planning to go with a carbon fiber hood and other black accents on your car then i strongly recomend this mod to you as well

P.S. Just cost whatever the paint cost. You can buy the black JDM lights for are car for 500+ plus if you want or do it your self for like 30$ and about 5Hr.s of work this includes drying time.
Teasing is not aloud here.:D You have to post pics or else......please, please, pretty please.:D

IceD out N CALI
07-19-2002, 10:22 AM
yeah pics please, plus let us know the ins and outs so the rest of us dont make any costly mistakes. As soon as someone shows some pics and step by step instructions im doing mine also

SpeedRacer
07-19-2002, 11:32 AM
im just waiting on a digital camera but as soon as i get it i will hook up some pics it looks so clean. if you look at the front of are cars stock it has a lot of black accents likt the grill so the black lights blend right in on the white car and even better on a black car

IceD out N CALI
07-19-2002, 03:52 PM
So what do u have to do to take the lights out exactly?

SmoothOperator
07-19-2002, 06:18 PM
So what do u have to do to take the lights out exactly?
Check out the link that downthehatch added to his post. It'll generally be the same process.

SpeedRacer
07-20-2002, 11:12 AM
you know who i am