PDA

View Full Version : Axis VPD Wheels: Good or Bad?

Quicksilver
12-26-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting a set of Axis VPD 16" wheels for my Si, but would like some people's feedback on them. The looks are not an issue for me. I like them as their very similar to the SVT Focus' wheels, and they only weigh 14lbs each.

What I'd like to know is are these quality wheels? Do they look good up close? Do they hold together or will I be replacing a rim after the first pot hole I hit?

Also, will I be able to run Wilwood 12.1" brakes with these? I know 16" is the minimum size needed for the kit, so that won't be a problem. I was wondering about the other specs (offset, ect.). Any help or advise would be appreciated.

SpeedRacer
12-26-2002, 07:15 PM
i have wilwood's on my car and my old rims were racing hart cp035's and i had to run spacers. The rotor is not a problem but the caliber sticks out alot. Anyways why dont you post a picture of the wheel so i can get a better description of it. There is a good chance that you might have to run some spacer's but it's not a big deal.

p.s. the brakes kick ass atleast when your not hydroplaining toward a mountan they do,.

Quicksilver
12-26-2002, 08:22 PM
I've tried posting pictures directly and could never do it on other posts, so I'll just give you the link to WheelMax's picture:

Axis VPD (silver) (http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Axis/vpd.gif)

I'm kinda split between wheels right now. I like the ultra light weight of the SSR Competitions. The looks of the Racing Hart C2 (non-evo version). The Axis VPD has a decent weight loss compared to stock (about 3 1/2 lbs with tires), and they look good IMO. The VPDs are $699 with tires from WheelMax with free shipping. If they're decent quality and if they'll work with the Wilwood's I'm planning on getting, I may have to place my order.

I'm kinda curious whether I can upgrade the wheels though and how much it'd run me. I have my eye set on the Yok ES100s, but would settle for the Parada II. Anyone have any ideas if you can do that?

dchu
12-27-2002, 01:36 AM
Can't really go wrong with the classic 5-spoke design but beware it has a +38 offset. It might rub the edge of the fender. I wouldn't worry about bending a wheel as long as you stick to 205/50/16 for tire size...EP3's come with some insanely tall tires. Whatever wheel you get, get the ES100's. Cheaper then Paradas and better at the same time.

hamlet9634
12-31-2002, 08:05 PM
38 offset will NOT rub the fender. I haven't seen the wheels up close or tried a test fitment with the wilwood brakes, but my guess is that they should clear the calipers with that offset with the shape of those spokes.

I'm running a 32 offset with a 16" wheel and have the wilwood system going onto my car tomorrow (pics will be up eventually). The car is not yet lowered because the KYB AGX shocks aren't out yet and i don't like to do labor twice, and there is NO PROBLEM WITH RUBBING IN ANY WAY with a 16" wheel and 32 offset.

JMHO: 38 offset is the perfect value for the EP. Those wheels are light, so that's good, though axis isn't exactly the best company in the planet for wheels. Besides, why would you want to look like a focus.. ewww

Suk02Si
01-01-2003, 04:48 AM
http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Axis/vpd.gif
they don't look too bad, any idea how much they weigh? what are they going for anyway?

02SilverSiHB
01-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Not sure how much those weigh, but here are some numbers from other axis wheels...so I'm sure they weigh about 18-20 lbs
Axis Mach V Cast 16x7 20.0
Axis Mach V Cast 18x7.5 26.0
Axis Mesh Cast 16x7 20.0
Axis Mesh Cast 17x7 22.5
Axis Ne-O Cast 17x7 20.8
Axis Ne-O Cast 19x8 26.3
Axis Seven Cast 19x8 24.3
Axis Speed Six Cast 19x8 26.0
Axis Starz Cast 17x7 21.8
Axis Touring Cup Cast 16x7 20.0
Axis Touring Cup Cast 18x7 23.0

Suk02Si
01-01-2003, 05:32 PM
wow, that's pretty damn heavy

Quicksilver
01-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Well, here's an update. WheelMax had them for $699 shipped with wheels (205/45x16). The problem I had with that deal is that the wheels are Kumho 711's and in an incorrect size if you're plus sizing. So I asked them what it would cost to upgrade to a different tire and size. The only thing they had in Yokohamas was the older AVS Intermediates and the Parada (non-spec 2). The upgrade to the Paradas would have cost $300 more. Now that the price would be around $1000 with the older tires, I said "forget it".

I've still got my eye on either the SSR Competitions or the Racing Hart C2 (3-piece) with the Yokohama AVS ES100s. The SSRs aren't my first choice in the looks department, but you can't really get much lighter. If money wasn't an issue, I'd get the Racing Harts in 17". The Axis VPDs were a cheaper alternative that meet most of my criteria well, but not outstanding in any one category.

The 16" VPDs weight in at 14lbs. And I don't thinks there's anything wrong with looking like an SVT Focus. If both cars were the same price at the dealerships (not MSRP), I'd have bought the Focus.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Once I've got my tax return check in my account, I can get down to business on getting new rims.

Kurtis

SpeedRacer
01-02-2003, 07:48 AM
WHAT!!!
you would have got the focus??
that is sad,what are you doing here go trade your Si in and get the focus then. hurry up.......

Quicksilver
01-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Don't take it personally SpeedRacer. Now that I've had my Si for a couple of months now, it's really grown on me. I'm not taking a dig on the Si. I'm merely stating that if the SVT was available at $18k and the Si was running MSRP of $19.7k, then the SVT would be in my garage. Since the selling price at the time for the Si was $16k and the SVT was "on sale" that week for $21k, I said "F... THAT!" and happily bought the Si. I've been very pleased with my purchase, and all the mods I've done so far have just made me all the more happy with my decision. :)

hamlet9634
01-03-2003, 07:00 AM
have you thought about kosei K1 racing wheels?

They weigh 14.9 lbs in a 16 inch size, are essentially indestructable, and are relatively inexpensive from tire rack (around $160 a wheel).