PDA

View Full Version : Bad Throw Out Bearing

Canuck Civic
05-16-2011, 07:45 PM
What are the symptoms of a bad throw out bearing? I think I have this problem starting in 1st or reverse just sounds horrible, and at idle I hear a faint grinding or rubbing sound and when pushing in the clutch it goes away, while driving it shifts fine. Or could this be another problem?

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
To check to see if its the trow out bearing, have the car idling and in neutral, if you hear a noise and then push the clutch in and it goes away its ur thow out bearing, if the noise comes on with the clutch out and comes on with it in, its ur input shaft bearing. Correct me if im wrong pros

Canuck Civic
05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
See this is what confuses me it makes the noise with clutch engaged so pedal out and when I push the pedal in disengage clutch it goes away. I did rebuild the tranny with new seals and bearings it has been running fine for months and now this happened.

talonXracer
05-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Sorta sounds like the throwout, what kind of grease did you apply to the throwout during assembly?

Canuck Civic
05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Sorta sounds like the throwout, what kind of grease did you apply to the throwout during assembly?

My Dad did that part he used high temp grease don't know exact name but I told him to go easy on the grease so not to spray it all over the clutch disc maybe he went to easy on it since I wasn't home to put the transmission back in the car. Either way the tranny is coming out tomorrow I just hope I don't have to open up the damn transmission.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
its prob the trow out, i would replace it and pack it with the correct grease.

j0000stin
05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
use vegetable oil.

jk hahah i used the oil that came with the clutch

talonXracer
05-17-2011, 05:39 AM
High heat grease is not strong enough, it heats up and is flung all over the place except where it needs to be, you need to use the ultra high temp Urea type grease for clutch components.

tru3aznplayaz
05-17-2011, 06:10 AM
my car squeeks at idle..but when i rev it a lil it stops..or when i take off at low rpm it squeeks..or when i jerk the car..

Canuck Civic
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
transmission is out the clip thing or whatever it is called that is on the fork came loose because the throwout bearing was barely on there. will replace tomorrow.

How can i diagnose anything else, tranny spins fine although let's say I spin the shaft left then stop and then start again I hear a click like balls a moving or something not a grinding sound can't remember if it did this seems normal you woulnd't hear it with the engine running.

talonXracer
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
You would check for lateral and in and out play more than anything. I would also check that the pilot bushing is ok, you replaced that as well, right?

Canuck Civic
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
You would check for lateral and in and out play more than anything. I would also check that the pilot bushing is ok, you replaced that as well, right?

ya that was replaced with the clutch looks fine when I looked at it today.

What is the proper way to adjust the clutch pedal till the engagement point is in the middle, closer to the floor, the top?

talonXracer
05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Where was the clutch engaging and disengaging at? What clutch?

You can adjust the clutch pedal pushrod for some adjustment, but not a whole lot.

Canuck Civic
05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Where was the clutch engaging and disengaging at? What clutch?

You can adjust the clutch pedal pushrod for some adjustment, but not a whole lot.

It is a CC Stage 4 it was about mid range before.

Have to wait on parts but pretty sure that release fork set spring was the problem and came off that one ball so the throwout bearing was loose since the fork wasn't staying on the ball and only when I stepped on the clutch did it take up the slack and go away.

talonXracer
05-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Sounds about right, just make sure the throwout is nice and tight, no play and moves freely.

from the sounds of it, this is about the best type of failure you could hope for, something fairly easy and cheap to fix(other than yanking the trans)

Canuck Civic
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Talon should I do this

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33561

talonXracer
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I have not seen the CC needing that done, this is to raise the engagement point like needed with the ACT, Exedy, CM, and a few other stage3-4+clutchs.

Canuck Civic
05-17-2011, 07:05 PM
alright well this is a video of the old throwout bearing(sent by CC) put on, no grease was put on the pivot balls just on where it slides. Seems alright, the fork wiggles but I think that is caused by where I push on it causing it to wiggle. I have a new Honda OEM one coming tomorrow.

if you see that gold clip to the side that wasn't even stuck in there when I pulled the tranny out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPGWfEaxQMA

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
good thing it was only that,

Canuck Civic
05-18-2011, 03:28 PM
good thing it was only that,

Lets hope, got the new bearing just waiting for help to get here so I can put it back in. Probably late tonight.