PDA

View Full Version : Neophyte Car Guy Needs Advice

Sigmund Sawyer
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi all,
Here's the deal. I am not a car guy. I had to look up "What motor is in a 2002-2005 EP3?" to even get into this forum. Thanks wikianswers! I can change a tire in the ghetto in 12 minutes flat with a ton of crap in my trunk and two worthless friends with me who don't do a thing to help. I can detail and polish the car too. That's it. I don't know crap about wrenching on vehicles (I am a house guy), but I am willing to learn. I have a nice stock 2002 SI with 95k miles on it, which I love and never want to get rid of. It is my daily driver, but I will soon be getting the wife a new vehicle (Honda of course) and using her existing beater as a daily driver. I want to tune up my stock EPHatch so I can:
a) learn about how to work on cars
b) smoke most of the fools on the road around here

The first need I recognize is information, and multiple sources of such. I have found this forum--that is source number 1. As time allows, I am working my way through the forum (see you in 2034). I am thinking about getting a Chilton or Hayes manual as well--that is source number 2. What else should I be looking for?

The next need is tools. I have a lot of hand tools from working on houses, but I know I will need specialty tools as well. What should I focus on?

The final need is components. I don't want any of the glitzy stuff (lowering kits, wings, fins, anything that screams "LOOK AT ME!") I want to be below the radar--literally. I would like to focus on stuff under the hood/transmission/suspension and not worry about non-mechanical components like radios, wheels, interior components etc. When I am all finished, I will likely paint it, but that is it. What should I focus on and is there a source of parts that seems to be the best?

My budget for everything is between 10k and 20k (I don't know what I don't know). I am not looking to be spoonfed, but I would rather learn from everyone else's mistakes because it is cheaper and less painful. I would like to do as much of the work I am able to by myself, but am guessing that as things get more complicated I am going to have to find someone with more skills. Thanks for the help very much!

AKEP
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
welcome!

you can do A LOT with 10k

jed_averill
05-17-2011, 10:13 PM
You're in the right place mate. Go through the forums and you'll find almost infinite amount of information about the EP3. Don't hesitate to ask questions also because most will understand that you're a newbie(as am I). What I would suggest doing first is learning about how the forums work, such as rules and regulations.

Good Luck.

02TWSI
05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey man pretty sure if you use the search you can actually find the FREE Downloadable hayne's manual for our cars.

Good luck to you in your venture with the EP3, it's a really neat car. If you are looking to really up the horsepower on your car you will have to do one of two things: Swap the motor with another, or boost the car using a turbocharger or a supercharger kit.

Doing the motor swap would be the best bet for the mentality of "do it once, do it right." The Acura TSX (K24A2 as most refer to it) or Acura RSX Type S(K20a2) swap are great. Either way have fun with your car! Don't cut corners.

j0000stin
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
welcome!

you can do A LOT with 10k

shit a swap, kpro, turbo, tune, and all miscellaneous shit can be had for about 5 haha

USAF EP3
05-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Scrap the Haynes and Chilton manuals, they are shit.

If you search member/super mod Mugen Replica, he has the Helms technician manual FREE for download in his signature.

Good luck with your goals!

Sigmund Sawyer
05-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone! I will find the Helms Manual and look for the other downloadable resources--it will be good to have hard copies of this stuff. Even after sorting through the forums, I am sure to have some dumb newb questions. Thanks for your patience beforehand.

After rehabbing a bunch of houses, I am definitely a "do it once, do it right" guy. I figured an engine swap would be required to get me where I need to be. Great news that a lot of this can be done for not a ton of cash. This is gonna be fun!

FoReVaPmP
05-18-2011, 06:48 AM
6k.... gets yo whip so Fresh and SOOO clean!!!.... :msmile:

:welcome: to Ephatch!!!

talonXracer
05-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Tools, you need tools,,and more tools, and even more tools, there is no such thing as too many tools...LOL

Pick up a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" rattchet/socket and wrench set of a quality brand in metric sizes, the easiest and cheapest to get are Craftsman and the Kobalt lines from Sears and Lowes respectively. Sure you can buy a elcheapo chinese set to get started and upgrade as they wear out and break(usually a very short time). The quality tools make the wrenching easier, you have probably experienced the same thing working on houses, I know I do/did.

FoReVaPmP
05-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Tools, you need tools,,and more tools, and even more tools, there is no such thing as too many tools...LOL

Pick up a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" rattchet/socket and wrench set of a quality brand in metric sizes, the easiest and cheapest to get are Craftsman and the Kobalt lines from Sears and Lowes respectively. Sure you can buy a elcheapo chinese set to get started and upgrade as they wear out and break(usually a very short time). The quality tools make the wrenching easier, you have probably experienced the same thing working on houses, I know I do/did.

Don't forget the infamous 10mm .... it's the universal tool for any Honda!!... :msmile:

Sigmund Sawyer
05-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Talon, love your little quote below your name--have you read the Boston T Party book yet? I have the ~235 piece Craftsman "Mechanics Set" and a bunch of standard hand tools. I never skimp on quality because as you point out, crap breaks, and if your Craftsman does, they replace it.

Forevapmp, you should post a warning with your avi--whew! I'll have to check if I have a 10mm. I know I have a 9mm, but not sure about the 10.

I indeed do have a lot to learn as it appears that there is a distinct dialect that I don't understand in these forums. Anyone got an EPHatch dictionary?

talonXracer
05-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I am full of those my friend, LOL

Yeah the 10mm socket and wrenchs need to be purchased by the gross, they develop legs or something, personally i think those nasty little gremlins keep snagging them(though occaisionaly they will give one back by placing it where it shouldnt be...like inside a valve cover etc....)

Ba82Ep3
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
A place like Harbor Freight can be great for big tools, like an engine hoist or engine stand. Other than that i would definitely stick with Craftsman for basic hand tools. Some specialty tools are piston ring expander/compressor, bore dial gauge, micrometers, calipers... ETC. Those are primarily for engine building... but i dunno how deep you plan on going into your EP.

Commonly used sockets are 10,12,14,17,19mm... in short and deep styles. It doesnt hurt to own 6 and 8mm sockets (8mm in the under hood fuse box for example). And allen head bits 4,6,8mm. I use wrenches from 8 to 24mm, and have standard and Gearwrench types. Gearwrench makes several styles too, with or without angled heads... and the lever reversing type really help in tightspots. Even a common 'hammer drill' can be very useful (removing those pesky phillips head screws that hold rotors on).

Im not one for air tools, but i do own 3/8 and 1/2 Snap On cordless impacts. It makes wheel nut and suspension bolt removal (strut pinch bolts for example) fast and easy. They are a little costly, but i use them every time i worked on my car, and dont wanna imagine doing those tasks by hand again.

The Honda manual for the EP can be found as a free download too... i liked to compare that to the Helms. Once i learned the EP, the Honda manual was like Cliffnotes... and i could print from my laptop anytime i needed information on the workbench.

I dunno how much of an information sponge you are, but you can also research www.k20a.org for more in depth k series engine information. :mcool:

27rocks
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Also to add to the great list of tools/sizes above don't forget about some very helpful tools that most skip on such as a impact screwdriver for those nasty little rotor bolts and a ball joint separator (stay away from the fork type ones they tend to do more harm then good). Also a 32mm or 36 mm socket for the axle nuts (32mm for the stock Ep and 36mm for the RSX-S knuckle upgrade if you decide to go that route).