PDA

View Full Version : How good is the OEM car cover?

beechstreet
05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Anybody have the OEM Honda car cover? My EP3 is gonna be non-opped and is currently sitting out at my parents' ranch. During the summer it gets over 120 degrees with dust clouds constantly getting kicked up. Will the OEM car cover protect against high temps and a ton of dust/dirt? Any better brands out there?

Thanks for your time!

I had the OEM cover for a while. Actually, I can't remember if I sold it or if it's lost in the house somewhere.

It'll keep out most dust, but some can get blown underneath it and the car will still be warm. Not as bad as parking in direct sunlight though.

The material is really sturdy. If it's outside, it'll resist light moisture, but not heavy rain. I'd rather have one on than not at all if it was going to be parked long. I'd also take the OEM one since it has a really good fit, and not just an aftermarket one that's pretty much a big sock.

I had mine on a Navy base, so whenever I came back I had friends telling me that the wind kept getting underneath it and pulling it off. I don't know how that would happen since it has elastic cord around the edge to keep it snug and I had a lock on it. My guess is base PD didn't like it and just pulled on it.

Whichever you pick, try to get it really snug along the side.

nmysiismyn
05-19-2011, 12:25 AM
I had the OEM cover for a while. Actually, I can't remember if I sold it or if it's lost in the house somewhere.

If you find out, sell it to me? :mangel:

I don't think he uses it much, but I know Sucka has one. I really want one!

OEM > regret. An aftermarket one will allow more dirt to get under it- which might finally scratch the paint a bit, but even if it does, I can GUARANTEE that ANY cover is better than NO cover!

Kerby
05-20-2011, 04:42 AM
I need to get one myself. Would be great to wash it and have it last 3weeks. I take the car out maybe once a month....

usedep3
05-20-2011, 02:47 PM
oem car cover is awesome. keep in mind though that its a tight fit with an hfp wing. its even tighter if you have the hfp lip kit or mugen wing.

japarossa
05-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I have the oem cover and love it. I'm not sure how it would hold up outside though I think its more of an indoor cover.

EPtyper
05-20-2011, 08:23 PM
I have a cover I don't use anymore now that I have a garage. It worked well against the few freezes with ice we have in Texas.

RedSiBaron
05-20-2011, 09:01 PM
ive had my car cover since early 07, bought it off here for like 300 from a member, i think it was 300, may have been 150, who knows, it was a deal...it fits over all my type r stuff NO PROBLEM...its a little tight because of the wing, but because of the shorter bumpers it works out...i really should start using it...though its not an all weather cover, so it makes me nervous using it.

beechstreet
05-21-2011, 07:21 AM
thanks for the information, folks! very helpful!

RHCP0801
05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
dont use it in the winter, i had the oem one and i had it on during the winter and since it lets moisture in it froze the cover to the car and pieces of the inner liner got ripped off and stuck to the car. I sold it a long time ago

thedvlsh1
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I have the oem cover and love it. I'm not sure how it would hold up outside though I think its more of an indoor cover.

It's definitely an outdoor cover.

OP, if I remember correctly, the OE covers were manufactured for Honda by Covercraft and is similar to their Evolution series of covers - http://www.covercraft.com/Evolution.htm. I picked mine up from another member on here a couple years ago and didn't use it a lot until recently. I like it because it fits snug and the fabric’s breathable. If you’re concerned about it lifting off the car in high winds (like Karma experienced) or having it stolen, the cover has grommets to accommodate a cable and lock.

gtolio
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can anyone with the OEM car cover tell me how it fits with the Mugen style wing? There seems to be some speculation above, but not really a definitive answer. I would much rather have the Honda one than an aftermarket one, but I don't want to buy it and not have it fit.

gtolio
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can anyone with the OEM car cover tell me how it fits with the Mugen style wing? There seems to be some speculation above, but not really a definitive answer. I would much rather have the Honda one than an aftermarket one, but I don't want to buy it and not have it fit.

Bump. Anybody?

Kerby
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
It should be able to fit.

I bought mine in october I think and I have the complete HFP. It was a tight fit, but it worked.
Then in December-ish i got the front jdm bumper with lip and that makes a world of a difference. I have alot more room.

If anything, I think the mugen spoiler will raise the rear bottom to halfway of the bumper.

gtolio
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
It should be able to fit.

I bought mine in october I think and I have the complete HFP. It was a tight fit, but it worked.
Then in December-ish i got the front jdm bumper with lip and that makes a world of a difference. I have alot more room.

If anything, I think the mugen spoiler will raise the rear bottom to halfway of the bumper.

Thanks Kerby. Are you selling yours or does it go with the car? :mangel:

Kerby
03-16-2012, 08:03 AM
car has been on the market now for 3weeks and I've only gotten 1 call who was a no show. So who knows now.

gtolio
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
car has been on the market now for 3weeks and I've only gotten 1 call who was a no show. So who knows now.

Sooooo... wanna sell me the cover? :mbiggrin:

PAPITUYO326
03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
The car cover fits my car great, and I have a USDM Type R lip and Mugen Wing. Wonderful fitment.