PDA

View Full Version : removing my A/C compressor?!?! quick question

THE DANIMAL
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey ep members i will soon be removing my ac compressor on my 02 ep3. I was just wondering if you can remove the compressor out the passanger fender well or if you have to remove the front bumper and such. please get back to me thanks and peace

Tnhatch03
05-19-2011, 06:42 PM
front bumper and headlight...

from what i remember when i did mine.

THE DANIMAL
05-19-2011, 07:12 PM
i was afraid thats how it would be. thanks for the quick replie man and if any one knows any tips or easier ways drop a reply thanks peace

Tasteful
05-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Just changed mine 20 minutes ago on my '02 ep3.

Before you start, remember besides the compressor, you have to have at a minimum, a dryer/receiver, a new belt and compressor oil.

I took the bumper off; go along the edges on the top and bottom and you'll see all the plastic connectors. get them all out. then there are just 2 clips holding it in under the headlights

remove radiator and fans by undo-ing the brackets that hold them on the frame (6 10mm bolts, total)and wiggle them forward, allowing the passenger side to breath more since this is where you'll pull out the compressor (be careful though not to put too much stress on the radiator hoses).

wd-40 the bolts to the compressor and use a 12mm wrench to get the 4 bolts off. meanwhile, disconnect the hoses from the compressor, while being conscious that pressurized gas may come out suddenly when you pry them off. oh, and... capture these green house gasses in an EPA approved manner.... i tried to seal the ends of the hoses while i was working so moisture didnt make its way in while i was working.

once everything is disconnected, including the one electrical connector to the compressor, wiggle it out through that gap you've created between the raditator and the frame, through the top on the passenger side. dont ding your radiator fins, take your time.

in putting the new one in, you have to have the bolts pretty much in place when you're lowering it into position, because you cant back them straight out (or in) when its in position. the compressor also "hangs" on 2 notches above the upper bolts, you can see them from the passenger wheel well. BEFORE YOU PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR, make sure both the compressor and dryer/receiver have oil in them. Or else, they'll die soon after you put them in.

The dryer/receiver is below the battery, and you need a 12mm socket to loosen it from the bracket and 10mm to get the 2 hoses off. i accessed it from below, with a bit of awkward arm movements but it sure saved me time, instead of taking off the battery assembly.

once your bolts are back in place, the rest of the process is just reversed.

Tomorrow morning i'm taking the car the car to a shop to be evacuated and filled. i would recommend letting someone else do that. Its just not a good idea to buy the stuff in a can.

good luck!

i took the fan on the passenger side out

make sure you have another belt handy

Tnhatch03
05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
^ good info!

as far as the belt... you can use a K060512 - it has been years since i have removed my A/C, but always remembered the part number.

Tasteful
05-20-2011, 08:45 PM
sad that you memorized that!

Another note, when you're done putting in all the new parts and tightening everything down, do not expect to crank your car and have the compressor clutch kick in when you press the a/c button. the system will not turn over, nor will the condensor fans come on until the system has been evacuated and charged!

THE DANIMAL
05-22-2011, 07:04 PM
thanks for the great info!!!

Lucid Moments
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Tasteful hit the nail right on the head. I did mine last year and fought with it for a while before I decided to go ahead and pull the radiator. That is the best, easiest way to get it out, and I can't imagine getting a new one back in without the radiator out of the way.

Tnhatch03
05-22-2011, 09:07 PM
sad that you memorized that!

haha...not really... just an easy number... plus, everyone asks. ;-)

Tasteful
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Keep us posted! and good luck! Its nice having A/C again... :)

EPo3Hatch
07-12-2011, 09:10 PM
this may be a dumb question but do you put oil in both of the holes where the hard lines are. also, do you have to put oil in the dryer even if you have didnt mess with it.

STP03BlueSI
07-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Bump for good info...gonna find a compressor soon..need one.