PDA

View Full Version : Misshifted the EP3 into 3rd gear (on the freeway)

DRP967
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Just as the title states, misshifted into 3rd gear on the freeway. Its all a blur now, I think I was going about 50-70 mph and threw the shifter into 3rd. All I remember was the needle/tach bouncing off the rev limiter and seeing bluish black smoke come out of my muffler (saw it from my rear window). Didnt smell anything burnt, the car was running normal but im just concerned I might have done some damage? Any input?

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
if nothing had occurred right after then ur prob in good shape. Just be more careful when banging gears,

whatsvtec
05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
You must've been going faster than 70 when you tried to shift or I don't think you would've redlined. Sounds like you're alright though, better shape than myself! :rofl: "Be more careful", QFT

MugenReplica
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Sounds like everything is perfectly fine. But just to be safe, pop your valve cover to check your valves/lash.

DRP967
05-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys, gotta be more careful next time. In all my years of driving I cant believe I did this...shiat.

And as for the valve cover, how do I check the valve/lash thing? Im not evern sure on that, maybe take it to my mechanic and see whats up?

mitchlikesbikes
05-22-2011, 08:20 PM
yeah 3rd gear goes to like 80 so you wouldn't have hit the redline doing 70 as far as i know.

either way hope everything's alright with your whip

Grookes
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I confirm that 3rd redline is about 80. A puff of exhaust is probably not cause for concern as long as you've kept things up.

talonXracer
05-23-2011, 06:03 AM
The smoke was the sudden amount of fuel dumped in when the RPM's jumped up from the mechanically generated high rev.

Rekognize
05-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks guys, gotta be more careful next time. In all my years of driving I cant believe I did this...shiat.

And as for the valve cover, how do I check the valve/lash thing? Im not evern sure on that, maybe take it to my mechanic and see whats up?

DIY here: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?51080-DIY-Valve-Clearance-Check-Adjustment
I did mine last week, not that hard and since the valve cover is off the car I painted it 'wrinkle red' :mcool:

Hope everything is OK!

DRP967
05-23-2011, 06:57 AM
I confirm that 3rd redline is about 80. A puff of exhaust is probably not cause for concern as long as you've kept things up.

yeah 3rd gear goes to like 80 so you wouldn't have hit the redline doing 70 as far as i know.

either way hope everything's alright with your whip

The smoke was the sudden amount of fuel dumped in when the RPM's jumped up from the mechanically generated high rev.

Thanks guys for all the info. BTW does the ECU keep a record of this? My friend told me the ECU will only keep a record of the last RPM if the car throws a CEL? Can anyone confirm? I ask because now Honda will think I abused the car in case I need to get work done. Well im past warranty so I guess it wont matter now but bump for answer. Thanks again guys.

P.S. Ive been driving the EP for so long...first time I did something like this, felt like poo. :( All because I was trying to down shift to merged on the freeway. bleh

RotaryGreg
05-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys for all the info. BTW does the ECU keep a record of this? My friend told me the ECU will only keep a record of the last RPM if the car throws a CEL? Can anyone confirm? I ask because now Honda will think I abused the car in case I need to get work done. Well im past warranty so I guess it wont matter now but bump for answer. Thanks again guys.

P.S. Ive been driving the EP for so long...first time I did something like this, felt like poo. :( All because I was trying to down shift to merged on the freeway. bleh

I cant say for sure on our cars but i have seen cars keep a pending code for "excessive RPM". The light was not on but the code was there.

One example was in a celica GTS that did a 6th to 2nd downshift (intending to do a 6th to 4th downshift) at like 140km/h. obviously that engine was in peices. over 13 000 rpm if i memory serves me. So the valves floated. When valves hit pistons even at idle is usually the end, so its guaranteed destruction at high rpm.

Also, alot of the ford F150 trucks seem to store a code about excessive wheel and engine speed when you are doing a burnout for too long.

if it didnt blow up instantly, safe to assume you got away with it. I bet you shift 4th to 5th like a little old lady now. lol

DA9_GSR
05-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Blue smoke = oil consumption
Black smoke = rich fuelling condition

Which one was it? If it was black, don't worry about it. If it was blue, I'd be doing a compression test and leak down test just to be sure the engine is ok.

DRP967
05-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I cant say for sure on our cars but i have seen cars keep a pending code for "excessive RPM". The light was not on but the code was there.

One example was in a celica GTS that did a 6th to 2nd downshift (intending to do a 6th to 4th downshift) at like 140km/h. obviously that engine was in peices. over 13 000 rpm if i memory serves me. So the valves floated. When valves hit pistons even at idle is usually the end, so its guaranteed destruction at high rpm.

Also, alot of the ford F150 trucks seem to store a code about excessive wheel and engine speed when you are doing a burnout for too long.

if it didnt blow up instantly, safe to assume you got away with it. I bet you shift 4th to 5th like a little old lady now. lol

Blue smoke = oil consumption
Black smoke = rich fuelling condition

Which one was it? If it was black, don't worry about it. If it was blue, I'd be doing a compression test and leak down test just to be sure the engine is ok.

1. Hmmm thanks for the info and yes im granny shifting for NOW....lol still traumatized by the whole thing.

2. The smoked look black for the most part with a tint of bluish/gray....at least thats what I think I saw. (80% sure)

apexracing
05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
i would also recommend the compression and leak down check just to be sure.

cronicEP
05-24-2011, 09:26 AM
you should have downed to 2nd, then it would be a cool story. but in all seriousness, lucky you, just be careful like everyone else has said.