PDA

View Full Version : Best sway bar for the HFP

WhiteComet
05-24-2011, 11:48 AM
my current config: HFP suspension, stock front sway, type R 22mm rear sway.

I just picked up the DC5R Aluminum LCAs and the 22m DC5R front sway for a great price, but am not sure which front sway would match up the best with my suspension to provide the best handeling.

I will begin autoXing soon and for FWD cars, I know many folks like to run a smaller front sway for the added grip, but I'm not sure if that is the case for the HFP since it's on the softer side.

Which front sway would provide the BEST handling for the HFP suspension? the 22m Type R or the 25.4mm stock? Would I get too much roll using the 22m front with the HFP?

oldschoolimport
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I had a 23mm front and 22mm rear, and loved it. that seemed to be the best "feeling" set-up when I had my EP. I don't have numbers to back up my opinion, but I think you'll be pleased with the 22/22 set-up.

WhiteComet
05-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I had a 23mm front and 22mm rear, and loved it. that seemed to be the best "feeling" set-up when I had my EP. I don't have numbers to back up my opinion, but I think you'll be pleased with the 22/22 set-up.

what coilovers were you using?

For a stiffer suspension, im sure the 22m front would be an improvement...however with the softer HFPs, 22m front might be too soft for the hard corners... but i'm exactly sure.

oldschoolimport
05-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Started off with progress springs on stock struts. Turning thru dips coming home, the inside rear wheel would pick up. When I went to tein basics, the wheel lift went away. It definitely felt better with more spring rate and damping.

Zzyzx
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
If you really are trying to get in to competition... then don't change anything else on the car till after you start.

Reason being, you are tuning the car in the dark. you have no idea how the car handles as it sits now out on track, and less so as to whats going to be your best option.

Best to run the car as is and tune later, once you have some data on how the car is reacting to its new found use.

WhiteComet
05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
If you really are trying to get in to competition... then don't change anything else on the car till after you start.

Reason being, you are tuning the car in the dark. you have no idea how the car handles as it sits now out on track, and less so as to whats going to be your best option.

Best to run the car as is and tune later, once you have some data on how the car is reacting to its new found use.

If it was just a front sway, then I could do that, but the thing is the 22m front sway comes with the aluminum LCAs which is PITA to install, not to mention the alignment cost, bushings and everything else.

Thats why I was hoping for those that ran the HFP or ASPEC suspension, can let me know their input on which sway they prefer.

Zzyzx
05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
That's the problem with going with the DC5R front suspension, it severely limits your tuning capability as you have to use anti-roll bars compatible with it. As my understanding is that the DC5R lower control arms have their pickup points for the anti-roll bar further out board then the OEM lower control arms.

So really, your choices are run no anti-roll bar or run the DC5R anti-roll bar; as your stock bar will no longer be compatible with your suspension.

Given those two options, I'd say you are probably better off with the anti-roll bar then with out. If you were significantly stiffening the springs, I'd say otherwise.

This is of course assuming you were going to install the LCA's regardless. Otherwise I'd stick with the stock bar, or go with the EM2's 15.9mm bar and add more static camber.

WhiteComet
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
That's the problem with going with the DC5R front suspension, it severely limits your tuning capability as you have to use anti-roll bars compatible with it. As my understanding is that the DC5R lower control arms have their pickup points for the anti-roll bar further out board then the OEM lower control arms.

So really, your choices are run no anti-roll bar or run the DC5R anti-roll bar; as your stock bar will no longer be compatible with your suspension.

Given those two options, I'd say you are probably better off with the anti-roll bar then with out. If you were significantly stiffening the springs, I'd say otherwise.

This is of course assuming you were going to install the LCA's regardless. Otherwise I'd stick with the stock bar, or go with the EM2's 15.9mm bar and add more static camber.

You would think the 15.9mm em2 bar would be a good fit for the HFP?

Zzyzx
05-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Depends on a couple of things. What tires are you running or planning on running & how much static negative camber do you have or plan on having?

The issues being, if you run really sticky tires you may find that you don't have enough roll resistance to keep you off the front bump stops. As well as you may find you do not have sufficient static negative camber to keep the car from cornering on the tires side walls.

So basically if you are running all season tires with a reasonable amount of static negative camber, I'd say yes the 15.9mm bar would be a good choice. If you are running good summer tires or lack sufficient static camber you may find the 15.9mm bar too soft.