PDA

View Full Version : wheel hop?

iR-VTEC2
12-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Howdy y'all.

Does anyone experience wheel hop? This happens A LOT. I launch hard hops...i launch soft...hops....i shift quickly from 1st 2 2nd...hoppitty hop hop.

I KNOW either im doing something wrong or the car's fucked.

I did get 17's with ECSTA? tires on them.

1) could the wheel/tire combo cause this (didnt happen too much when stock wheels were on)
2) could tire pressure affect this
3) is my car screwed
4) what am i doing wrong.

Any positive input is greatly appreciated.

Peace

Suk02Si
12-26-2002, 10:50 PM
your tires are stickier than stock and when you drop the clutch at a low rpm(2000 or so) they struggle to grip and cause the hop. Play with the clutch a little more so you don't get much wheel hop/spin it slows you down. You can also try revving a little higher than normal (3000-3500) and let off the clutch until you can feel it start to engage, pull the ebrake so you dont roll. When your ready to go, drop the brake and let the clutch out smoothly while mashing the gas pedal so you can launch with little or no hop

iR-VTEC2
12-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Thanks. I'll take that into consideration. I've been thinking that polyurethane bushings and even a strut tower brace would help. Not to mention the springs i ordered. : /

Suk02Si
12-27-2002, 01:24 AM
Actually, I don't think the springs will help very much. Stock vs Neuspeed race springs, wheel hop is just as bad. Although bushings would help a lot a strut tower brace wouldn't.

2K2SilverSi
12-29-2002, 04:18 AM
Part of our probloem with wheel hop has to do with the mas quantity of unsprung weight we have on the front tires. Have you looked at the front suspension components they are huge. This with the grip of your aftermarket tires is what is causing your wheel hop. Try to get some lightweight rims and maybe it will go away. I have also thought of having some custom lightweight front suspension components fabricated but that would probably be way expensive.

chunky
12-29-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 2K2SilverSi
Part of our probloem with wheel hop has to do with the mas quantity of unsprung weight we have on the front tires. Have you looked at the front suspension components they are huge. This with the grip of your aftermarket tires is what is causing your wheel hop. Try to get some lightweight rims and maybe it will go away. I have also thought of having some custom lightweight front suspension components fabricated but that would probably be way expensive.

unsprung weight has almost nothing to do with wheel hop problems. It is a contributing factor to the severity of wheel hop, but it's not the cause.

wheel hop occurs b/c the engine rocks back and forth - mainly b/c of the softness of the stock rear engine mount. Upgrading to a polyurethane rear engine mount would go a LONG way towards stopping wheel hop.

How sticky the tires are has little to do with wheel hop, the tire temp is important. Wheel hop is more likely to occur with cold tires. When the tire is cold, the tire's inner belts are less elastic and do not absorb drivline shock as well as when they are warmed up a bit.

If you're experiencing wheel hop. let off the gas, wheel hop is really bad for the driveline. 80% of all FWD cars that break axles do so when experiencing wheel hop.

B18CXr
12-30-2002, 08:40 AM
stiffer motor mounts will help this issue