PDA

View Full Version : Ep3 5 speed and k24a2

iDom
05-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I know it works and all that, but is it a good idea?

I know you can adjust the engagement in kmanager for vtec but is the gearing pretty solid for this?

Also, I'm rolling 160k on my engine and trans, how much abuse do you think the stock trans can take? I plan on getting a bit beefier of a clutch than the old stock one.

Later down the road i'd like to get a LSD and do the TSX 6th gear, if it's advisable..

Any thoughts?

Oh yea, money IS an issue.

Civic5lug
05-25-2011, 07:01 PM
The gearing is perfect IMO. I loved it when I was n/a. Only mistake I made was I used a pro lite flywheel......FAIL!....it sucked being in traffic with that thing. a street lite would be the way to go. The gears take A LOT of abuse, once you put some real tq down though.....thats another story hahaha!

Slip_Angle
05-25-2011, 07:08 PM
This is the setup I run. I guess it's all perspective. My opinion --

For ultimate acceleration..

1st is a bit short
2nd is perfect
3rd is too long
4th is a bit too long
5th is too short

Daily driving

1st a bit too short
2nd perfect
3rd not bad - could be slightly shorter
4th ok
5th way too short
6th Needed!

Just guestimates though. I don't have any experience with a k24a2 /w 6 speed

Also depends on the manifold and exhaust as well. The torque helps to pull through longer gears.

RHCP0801
05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
i have the stock ep3 5spd wiht my k24a2, i think its great gearing for the power. I raced my friend in his fg and he shifted twice by the time i shifted once and just pulled like crazy on him. Its only bad for gas mileage because at 60mph its already at 3000rpm, but it does make you drive slower bc you dont want to eat up gas lol

AKEP
05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I know it works and all that, but is it a good idea?

I know you can adjust the engagement in kmanager for vtec but is the gearing pretty solid for this?

Also, I'm rolling 160k on my engine and trans, how much abuse do you think the stock trans can take? I plan on getting a bit beefier of a clutch than the old stock one.

Later down the road i'd like to get a LSD and do the TSX 6th gear, if it's advisable..

Any thoughts?

Oh yea, money IS an issue.

i did all this and turbo. it drives great. it pulls like a mofo. i also have prolite, and it suits me better than stock flywheel. blip it, dont slip it!

iDom
05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Ok I remember seeing this somewhere but couldn't find it after a brief search so, I'll ask the noob question :)

Any flywheel can be bolted to any k-series engine, correct?

Then the clutch has to correspond with the flywheel, correct?

I think I remember seeing that it is 'best' to get an RSX-S flywheel because there is a bigger clutch selection?

CrazyInteg
05-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Sorry don't have the A2, but I do have the A1, and I agree that 5th is way too short!

j0000stin
05-26-2011, 02:34 PM
1st and 5th are way too short.

when i had an fa5 the gearing was perfect but then i had a 3rd gear problem which i've never had in any of my ep's.

i feel like the ep's trany is the strongest tranny i've ever had. add a tsx 6th and your set. even though 1st is still hella short for me, then again im gas happy haha

bchaney
05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
The TypeS fly is the way to go - you are right about having more clutch options.

I think the gear ratios are all based on personal preference like others have said. Try out the stock trans on your k24 for a while and when you go to install your LSD you can make a change if needed.

Civic5lug
05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Ok I remember seeing this somewhere but couldn't find it after a brief search so, I'll ask the noob question :)

Any flywheel can be bolted to any k-series engine, correct?

Then the clutch has to correspond with the flywheel, correct?

I think I remember seeing that it is 'best' to get an RSX-S flywheel because there is a bigger clutch selection?

You can use any K-series flywheel and yes the clutch has to correspond with the flywheel.

9/10 companies only make clutchs for the rsx-s so that makes you replaces your oem flywheel.