PDA

View Full Version : Paint Opinion/ question

Garrett
05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Alright so i know this guy who paints cars for relatively cheap (friend of some friends), anyway i can get a paintjob for 200, i supply paint and i do all the prep work. Now here's my question/ time for your opinion. I have a nighthawk black pearl ep, but i love the grey (anyone come up with the name? I didnt look it up) so how hard is the prep work? Me being novice with cars, i really dont want to fuck it up and then have horrid paint you know? Secondly (the opinion part haha) if i did change it to grey, do you think the door jams would look tacky black or not that big of a deal, since they are black? I can see it looking bad if it were any other color (blue, green, yellow etc) but i just dont see black being that bad. Thanks for the input guys

ep3jd
05-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Do your jambs. Its so simple to do jambs. Just take off your door panel, un plug everything, and pull back the interior panels and tape off. He can remove the door and hit the jambs in just a couple hours.

The grey I'm assuming you're talking about is cosmic grey pearl

I wouldn't tackle this with no experience and no assistance from someone with experience. Prep is the most important part of the whole job.

Patience is a virtue in a scenario such as this. If you're interested in learning and entering the trade of body work, do it and do it carefully, to learn. And have him guide you. If not I say cough up some more dough and have him prep it.

I'm doing this exact situation this summer. Very excited.

MadLorEP3
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
X2^

Garrett
05-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Well I already asked about the jams and he said he didn't want to have to do that, I didn't offer him any more money but I don't really have any more to offer but I do have people who have done body work before, how long does it take to prep it?

ep3jd
05-27-2011, 07:26 AM
A while if you are doing it right. I'm expecting misc parts of my car to be prepped/primered for a solid month before paint. I also have some dents and fender work to address, and not much free time though

Garrett
05-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Dang, that is a long time for prepping, is that normal? Evem with all the needed power tools? I was expecting 8 hours or so haha

apexracing
05-27-2011, 02:15 PM
prep work is tedious lots of sanding and priming and more sanding. and filling if you have any deep scratches and dents. imho if your not paying 2k plus for a paint job its going to look like shit. people want to get paid friends or not. make sure you dont get a single stage paint that has the clear coat mixed in because it peels and looks like shit. I would really ask your self how bad is my paint currently? because if were talking touch ups or a buff job then just fix her up. a cheap respray will look like shit in a few months.

whatsvtec
05-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Gotta pay to play, paint is nothing to take lightly, everyone judges a car by it's cover.

gettheledout
05-27-2011, 11:41 PM
If you go cheap on the paint, you'll regret it for the rest of the time you have the car. And when you try to sell it (to anyone who isn't ZOMG JDM HONDA) they'll be like, uh was this car wrecked?, I can see orange peel in the paint.