PDA

View Full Version : Shot struts, suggestions?

J00SE
05-26-2011, 11:14 PM
My struts are toast in my 02, It would be awesome if someone could give me a suggestion on what type of strut I should invest in. I want to lower it some time in the near future, does that have anything to do with the strut that I buy? or Is that only the outer spring?

TronG
05-27-2011, 12:18 AM
What's your budget?

USAF EP3
05-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and tell you right now, Tokico blues for our cars suck. They blew out on my within a month of owning them, they couldn't hold up to Tampa's piece of shit streets.

I've heard good things about Koni yellows though. But don't take it from me, do your research and decide on what strut you want to buy.

J00SE
05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I have about 600.00 I can spend....

I just want a reliable pair of struts and springs that will ride smooth and not shit out in a year or so.

Rictorious88
05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Not in your budget but Bilstein Sport shocks are at the top of list for shocks. very reliable and will last a really long time. If you are able to get like $300 more those are what I would get. Like USAF said don't get Tokico blues..

Cheep3
05-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Koni Yellows FTW!! I can't speak highly enough of them. Better than stock in all situations - road and track. They will work with any spring height but I would recommend something moderate like Eibach pro or sport kit. I believe they or still on sale at Club RSX.

I forgot to mention they are completely rebuildable (special valving and such) and have a lifetime warranty.

SkareKrow
05-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Not in your budget but Bilstein Sport shocks are at the top of list for shocks. very reliable and will last a really long time. If you are able to get like $300 more those are what I would get. Like USAF said don't get Tokico blues..

Where can I find the Bilstein for that price. Everywhere is 450 a piece.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk Version 1.11.6!

G-MaC!
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I would suggest A-Spec suspension if you are a form over function thinker. They are slightly over what you listed as your budget, but there is no way around getting decent suspension for cheap. The lower your car approximately 1". Can't beat OEM for fitment and quality.

NyCSnEaK
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I just finished up a Koni strut and shock install. F 8610 1415S & R 8010 1050S. The rears are for the RSX, I wanted the firmer shock valving in place of the EP3 specific ones. I teamed them up with Type-S springs F&R. You will need RSX strut housings, if you go with the 8610 1415S struts, since the 50mm struts are supposedly made for the EM2 chassis.

I have had them on for almost two weeks and 500 miles, so I'm still letting them settle, but their noticeably firmer then the stocks. I have not yet fiddled with the adjustments yet, but will after to get a feel for what I will like on a daily basis.

Remember the Koni's will blow if you go too low on springs and if the rates are really wacked out.

Rictorious88
06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Where can I find the Bilstein for that price. Everywhere is 450 a piece.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk Version 1.11.6!

I got my bilstein sport shocks from AllShocks.com for a little over $800.

NyCSnEaK
06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
OP I would advise against the Bilstein Strut & shock replacements, because they for a fact are not valved for the Ep3 chassis. You just have to cross-reference the RSX (their is no option), since we are the same chassis You would have to send back the Bilstein's to be revalved to be an upgrade for the Ep3. I have called Bilstein US and they said what I just repeated to you. Only legit stock options are Tokico, HFP, A-Spec, and Koni. Be warned the Koni setup involves some modifications and tools that would not be needed with the other options. Bilsteins are my go to struts and shocks for all my vehicles replacements, but unfortunately in our case it ends up costing more then their worth imo. I'm more of a fan of Monotube (Bilstein) vs Twintube(Koni, HFP, Tokico, etc).