PDA

View Full Version : Looking for colored carbon fiber

chet
12-27-2002, 10:39 AM
I want to put an orange cf hood on my Ep. Not painted orange, but woven, orange cf. Does anyone know of a company. . .Actually there is a shop who was trying to get me one. The name of the company I do not know. It'll take 2 months if they even take my order. Is there anybody out there?

hacim
12-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Carbon fiber only comes in one color. If you want a different color hood paint the damn thing orange. The only fiber thats in different colors is kevlar.

chet
12-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Well then I'll be more clear. It would have been a special deal where they used orange kevlar w/in the cf. Looking for ideas, sorry for my ignorance. And not sorry about you being a smartass.

ssvr6
12-27-2002, 12:03 PM
Correcting a false statement is being smartass? Since when?

First impressions go a long way on this site.

steve

chet
12-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Look, the first basic thing I said was, "not painted orange." I have seen red cf hoods or something close like kevlar. The thing is, i expressed that I was ignorant on this subject. I am far from a "knowitall"--lots of learning to do when it comes to cars. But I am also interested in ingenuity and individuality. If someone asks me to apologize for calling someone a smartass, I'll do it. I like this site. It's immensily helpful. There is no requirement for automobile knowledge is there? I am here to learn.

I_VTEC
12-27-2002, 12:25 PM
There is colored carbon fiber. I've got my hands on small samples of it from Superior Dash. Orange, yellow, blue, red, green, black, gray. I do not know where to find an entire hood, except you could find CF cloth and make it yourself, it's not hard at all. And hacim is a damned moron.

chet
12-27-2002, 12:54 PM
Man. . .I am glad someone's on my side here. thankx

steve_jones
12-27-2002, 02:18 PM
The statement you can only get carbon fibre in black is true, ( as far as I know ) ,

However there are plenty of dyed Kevlars about, ( i have seen green, red, orange, blue, and of course yellow :) )

The problem with kevlar is the finishing of it, it is very time consuming , so therefore will cost more to produce . You can get it in rolls 1m ( or maybe wider) so a bonnet on a civic will be easy peasy

Steve

oh yea You can also get carbon with synthetic coloured weave in it, but these arent as good

steve_jones
12-27-2002, 02:21 PM
PS , the people who are making my CF bonnet can get all these colours of cloth so if u want an orange bonnet they can do it ..

( only slight problem im in the UK !! )

Steve

DownTheHatch
12-27-2002, 03:07 PM
www.fiberimages.com

They have all kinds of combos check them out.

hacim
12-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by I_VTEC
There is colored carbon fiber. I've got my hands on small samples of it from Superior Dash. Orange, yellow, blue, red, green, black, gray. I do not know where to find an entire hood, except you could find CF cloth and make it yourself, it's not hard at all. And hacim is a damned moron.

LOL Are you serious? The colors of carbon fiber are mixed with kevlar. I have had this explained to me by a buddy that works with carbon fiber and kevlar. So who is really the moron now dip shit?

If you find evidence that is indisputible then I will believe you but until then you are a lil bitch. Sorry, just dont like it when someone that is completly wrong tries to pass judgment upon me. You have a great day. LOL

steve_jones
12-27-2002, 04:00 PM
What I was trying to say is that Kevlar is a weave of one part carbon, and the other part Kevlar ( why your get the criss cross black and yellow effect ), generally to get the coloured stuff you die the kevlar, ( the yellow part ) with whatever colour you want ( i.e red or orange blue etc...) and this is then woven with the black carbon, so you get a black orange criss cross pattern ( or a twill if it woven that way )
I wasent trying to put you down, merley spread mu y knowledge

Steve

hacim
12-27-2002, 04:24 PM
My post wasnt directed towards you steve it was directed towards IVtec.

StrangeShadow
12-27-2002, 04:54 PM
There's a civic ex in NOPI Street(mag.) that has Carbon Fabric with "Orange" kevlar accents "weaved" in from House of Kolor, you might want to check it out.

zerofighter
12-28-2002, 11:39 AM
checkout www.wooddash.com. they have different colors and they look great!!!

chet
12-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Steve from the UK. Could you possibly find out what they would want to ship something like that to me. Bloomington, Indiana. Just for kicks.

steve_jones
12-28-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi there, Ill find out how much shipping would be once the product is finished, and we know how big the box is and stuff

Steve

I_VTEC
12-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Hacim, you dumb fuck, look here:
http://www.wooddash.com./sampgrp.jpg

Does that say "yellow kevlar / carbon fiber"? Nope, Sorry. Oh, and i'm not "lil", I'm most definately larger than you, you sad fuck.

chet
12-29-2002, 03:27 AM
I VTEC, I lke your style man. I also like that fact that you provide pretty damn good evidence! Nice. . . but I need something a little bigger. haha

I_VTEC
12-29-2002, 07:01 AM
It's just proof that you can get some CF cloth and cover it yourself, unless you want the actual weight reduction, then you would have to make / get a fiberglass hood. Or you could just stick a bunch of samples on your hood. The largest Carbon Fiber product maker now is Fiber Images, but I have been told by them that they don't like using colored CF, it's not their style. :'( They're all "old-school" cf, which is black/black shit.

Good luck with your search, let us know when you find a place to make it. Oh, and don't use vinyl, that's what they did in TF&TF.

Andrew

steve_jones
12-29-2002, 05:14 PM
You cant just get carbon or kevlar off the roll and use it yuourself , it needs to be layed into a clear gel coat of some kind, as the material raw would pull and fray alot.

Thepeople who I know who are currently doing a bonnet, have quite alot of experience in carbon and kevlar, below is a pic of an induction kit they made for my last car ., The top one is Carbon/ Kevlar, the bottom one is Pure Carbon. They have also made one in red CF, but i dont have pics yet ..

Enjoy ..

SPEEDEP
12-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Here Is what my buddy did on his 93 civic. Carbonfiber hood + clear coat + orange candy= orange carbonfiber hood. Ill look for a pic to post.:)

SPEEDEP
12-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Here are the pics took me a while but here they are. If you need info on the process let know. The same bodyshop painted my girlfriends car.

SPEEDEP
12-29-2002, 07:27 PM
front

SPEEDEP
12-29-2002, 07:28 PM
and the hood