PDA

View Full Version : Towed my car home lastnight

rd02SiR
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
All of a sudden i couldent get my car into gear AT ALL. gear goes in when the car is off, but will not go into gear once the car is running.

Clutch pedal still seems firm. No noise or major symptoms when the event happened.

Car is now home, waiting to go to the shop to diagnose.

I'm thinking clutch spring gave out?

I already bought a dc5-s flywheel that in prib not going to use. I'll prob get an exedy light weight one.

Any input?

Pic if car on a flatbed. Looks so pretty up on a pedestal.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/rd02sir/a3400ed0.jpg

j0000stin
06-04-2011, 09:16 AM
warped flywheel maybe? mine wasnt making any noises but was a bitch to shift. to the point where i was JAMMING it into gear. but when stopped and motor isnt running your synchros are in sync so its easy to slip in. what are your mods

talonXracer
06-04-2011, 09:54 AM
You have worn the clutch to the point it will not disengage enough for the trans internals to unload to change gears. R&R the clutch and fly.

Do not go less than 10lbs for the flywheel, the 8lbr's are far too light. the DC5 flywheels will require a DC5 spec clutch disc and pressure plate(it will bolt into the EP3 no problems)

rd02SiR
06-04-2011, 10:05 AM
You have worn the clutch to the point it will not disengage enough for the trans internals to unload to change gears. R&R the clutch and fly.

Do not go less than 10lbs for the flywheel, the 8lbr's are far too light. the DC5 flywheels will require a DC5 spec clutch disc and pressure plate(it will bolt into the EP3 no problems)

Sorry R&R is what? lol resurface and refinish?? hhahaha

Exedy is 8.9lbs. what others would you suggest for a decent price. It's hard to find a Type r flywheel and they are going for about $200 used and un-resurfaced.

I heard that ACT was not that good, but that could have been clutches and not flywheels.

Mods are basic bolt ons, i/h/e kpro, bcss and aluminum shiter base bushings.

talonXracer
06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
R&R= remove and replace

ACT is fine, just dont get the ProLite, get the StreetLite flywheel which is at 10lbs

27rocks
06-04-2011, 10:39 AM
R&R= remove and replace

ACT is fine, just dont get the ProLite, get the StreetLite flywheel which is at 10lbs

^^ I agree with this.
I had the prolite fly and it sucked during traffic. The fly would get over heated really fast and would start to chatter really bad due to slippage. Also engaging the clutch was somewhat annoying because the rpm would fall off so fast i would constantly have to rev the engine. Hills and traffic made it even worse. Other than that it was ok for the most part. But now i have a oem rsx-s fly which i love.

rd02SiR
06-04-2011, 11:03 PM
^^ I agree with this.
I had the prolite fly and it sucked during traffic. The fly would get over heated really fast and would start to chatter really bad due to slippage. Also engaging the clutch was somewhat annoying because the rpm would fall off so fast i would constantly have to rev the engine. Hills and traffic made it even worse. Other than that it was ok for the most part. But now i have a oem rsx-s fly which i love.

You like the oem RSX-s flywheel over the prolite? Isn't it basically the exact same weight as the ep3?

RedSiBaron
06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
definitely puked a spring IMO...

I know its not on an ep3...but i have an exedy stage 3 six puck sprung clutch kit on my 240, which came with the 14lb flywheel(dont know what the weight would be for the ep) and its a very nice clutch kit, just have to be quicker on the downshifts to match my rev matching...ha

though why the previous owner of my car spent the money on that clutch kit, i have NO IDEA, considering the car is essentially stock other than engine/trans mounts and now ive added subframe bushings and short shifter :mrolleyes:

talonXracer
06-05-2011, 06:02 AM
You like the oem RSX-s flywheel over the prolite? Isn't it basically the exact same weight as the ep3?

I would hands down pick the OEM typeS flywheel over the ProLite or any other ultra-light weight flywheel, UNLESS I had a fully built 10K rpm VTEC screamer that was going to be a track only car!

so it goes like this, DC5R/StreetLite > DC5S/EP3 > ProLite/Ultra light weight

rd02SiR
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
But you think the streetlite at 11.4lbs would be good for me?

trippy
06-06-2011, 12:20 AM
sorry to hear that..but CLEAN ep =) red is tight

AKEP
06-06-2011, 01:25 AM
sorry to hear that..but CLEAN ep =) red is tight

that is def one of the cleanest ep's i've seen in a while. i got a prolite on my k24a2. the revs drop a lil faster than stock, but it doesn't rev like a motorcycle. i like it, as i drive a little agressive vs the normal person. plus i don't drive my car during traffic hours, so idk how it handles the heat. mostly highway.

talonXracer
06-06-2011, 05:10 AM
But you think the streetlite at 11.4lbs would be good for me?

Far better than the Prolite flywheel