PDA

View Full Version : shift boot?

gitter
06-05-2011, 12:17 AM
k so my shift knob just came in and i should of did my research but now my boot wont stay up .. what boot will i need to buy in order for this knob and any other aftermarket to keep up cause right now it just looks
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/gitlovestiff/IMG_20110605_031452.jpg

apexracing
06-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I used the shift boot ring from a 2000-2005 eclipse got it from a junk yard for 25c

icantbeat
06-05-2011, 08:12 AM
k so my shift knob just came in and i should of did my research but now my boot wont stay up .. what boot will i need to buy in order for this knob and any other aftermarket to keep up cause right now it just looks
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/gitlovestiff/IMG_20110605_031452.jpg

Well there are a few options.
One way, which I did with my old shift boot or the one you have, is put a washer under the rubber piece to where the shifter get's thicker. Then put a smaller one on top. Didn't look as great, but was free. Another option is you can go to showstoppers and purchase their JDM shift boot which has the end piece that allows after market knobs to be used http://www.showstoppersusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_21_24&products_id=1594. Or if you want a whole different boot you can go to redlinegoods.com and have them make one for the ep3 and they have a "how-to" on keeping the boot flush. I bought one from them and I like it a lot more than the rubber factory one.

AKEP
06-05-2011, 09:09 AM
yeah get jdm shift boot.

mitchlikesbikes
06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
i have a ball style knob like yours, and i just used the oem shift boot and collars but i measured it out and wrapped tape around the shift arm in the right spot to hold the shift collar tight against the boot. it works really well actually other than the collar is just kinda big.

Here's a picture, but keep in mind i also painted my shift boot collars and the tape isn't visible in this picture. but as you can see, the shift collar is snug against the knob

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/mitchlikesbikes/knob2.jpg

icantbeat
06-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Did you paint your console with textured paint?

mitchlikesbikes
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Did you paint your console with textured paint?

the previous owner actually did that part but yeah it's just rust oleum textured black paint.

si03
06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
the previous owner actually did that part but yeah it's just rust oleum textured black paint.

NIce! I'm not satisfied how mine came out. Did you use clear after paint ?

mitchlikesbikes
06-05-2011, 04:30 PM
NIce! I'm not satisfied how mine came out. Did you use clear after paint ?

like i said the owner before me was the one who painted the dash itself so i'm not sure if it's clear coated or not. i just painted the shift boot collars black but i did use clear for that part

icantbeat
06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I like it. I considered the same thing, but didn't know how it would turn out.

mitchlikesbikes
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I like it. I considered the same thing, but didn't know how it would turn out.

i think as long as you take your time and prep it well it should come out pretty good. i keep considering 3m carbon fiber wrapping mine instead but i like the black.

JaydmEp3
06-06-2011, 06:26 PM
yea dude looks good. I sanded the inside of the collar on mine so my passwordjdm knob snugs inside but nope didn't work it's a little biggr. soon prolly save up to get the jdm boot instead.

mitchlikesbikes
06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
yea dude looks good. I sanded the inside of the collar on mine so my passwordjdm knob snugs inside but nope didn't work it's a little biggr. soon prolly save up to get the jdm boot instead.

yeah the collar probably doesn't work with a lot of knobs but as far as ball style knobs go it's almost perfect as far as DIY goes haha

icantbeat
06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Been there. Don't do it. It is not worth it. It gets old fast and you will wish you didn't do it. I want to wrap mine flat black because every time I paint it, I have little imperfections that bother me.

gitter
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
how much does jdm boot run for and how easy is it to install?

mitchlikesbikes
06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
how much does jdm boot run for and how easy is it to install?

i think it's around 50 or 60 bucks. the hardest part about installing it is getting the lower dash piece off. other than that all you have to do is remove a couple screws and swap it out.

ace of spades
06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I modified my OEM trim ring and added a few bike pieces to make it sit on the notch of the shifter. OP if you are interested, I'll ship it to you.

mitchlikesbikes
06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I modified my OEM trim ring and added a few bike pieces to make it sit on the notch of the shifter. OP if you are interested, I'll ship it to you.

hahah i actually used some bike parts on my DIY bandana shift boot but i ditched the idea cause it didn't look good. still funny that we both went that route though.

bmx state of mind!

ace of spades
06-13-2011, 05:20 AM
hahah i actually used some bike parts on my DIY bandana shift boot but i ditched the idea cause it didn't look good. still funny that we both went that route though.

bmx state of mind!

lol yeah. I dremeled out the guts of the OEM collar, and pressed a 19mm sprocket adapter into it. then to make it flush I drilled a hole into a plastic mtb bar end and pressed that into the sprocket adapter.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/blueEP3piece/DIY/IMG-20110123-00085.jpg

Tokin_Buds
06-14-2011, 01:08 AM
You can go any which way you want..but I dont regret spending the money on my JDM shift boot at all, its is just feels nice in your hand, I know that sounds weird but all of these DIY methods you feel something and it just doesnt feel right.. I found mine new for $45 shipped..Im sure if you look you can find the same deal or cheaper.

DecalDude
06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
i have a lathe. if you want i could work with you to make a solution for it.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
this is the easiest thing to install.
dash pops right out
screws are easy to take off

in the end getting a jdm shift boot looks the best because theres no awkward extra ring hanging around your shift knob
but to each his own its really all looks

and what do you mean by it feels good in your hand? o.O texture wise it feels the same as the usdm to me..? and when are you ever touching the boot besides when installing it lol?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
this is the easiest thing to install.
dash pops right out
screws are easy to take off

in the end getting a jdm shift boot looks the best because theres no awkward extra ring hanging around your shift knob
but to each his own its really all looks

and what do you mean by it feels good in your hand? o.O texture wise it feels the same as the usdm to me..? and when are you ever touching the boot besides when installing it lol?

o yeah and to keep up my boot
i just got a bunch of electric tape and taped the shift arm to make it thicker so the boot would rest on it

modu03
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM

i used a wooden stand for wooden dollhouse models. i ran across it in a hobbylobby store. i sprayed it with black primer and glued it in place with gorilla glue. i showed my friend, he thought it was stock. so, diy looks just fine, if you do it right.

iDom
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
JDM boot for 60 bucks
Roll of athletic tape to wrap around the shifter to hold it up. Athletic tape is ideal because it won't leave a sticky residue either and only really sticks to itself and you can keep adjusting it for different knobs.

EPHatchgirl
07-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Well while I wait for my JDM boot to arrive, I used the .44 cent solution...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_-nNcVHMTfQ/ThSnuUa4LwI/AAAAAAAAABQ/a4RCvkVW8uY/s512/IMG_0964.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zMCPOIweCm8/ThSntcu4o9I/AAAAAAAAABM/Ivx6l5FC8-g/s512/IMG_0962.jpg

Not a permanent fix, but I like it better than the saggy boot with a mismatch collar. :mtongue:

T_Virus
07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
not bad