PDA

View Full Version : Polish / Chrome style finishes?

PatrickJamesYu
06-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I have a set of wheels and I want to refinish them myself,
But not just another color like every other wheel color thread on ephatch.
I want to do a full polish/ or chrome finish.

I've gotten "Chrome in a can", but it honestly came out more 'satin' than the cap portrayed it to be.
It's for a mesh style wheel, if that makes a difference.

I want a do-it-yourself style answer.
AND/OR
even some not myself tips.

Should I take it to an Auto paint shop? Or is this a different task?
Has anyone actually dipped their wheels? How much

Thanks!

sleepy ep3
06-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Dude. You knew the "chrome in a can" wouldnt work when you bought it. Having stuff polished is kinda pricey, mainly due to the time it takes. I would hope that the wheels are really nice and worth polishing. Pics?

heyvortek
06-05-2011, 07:02 AM
you can polish it yourself with sand paper and a ton of time. i did some hx but it didnt turn out like i wanted. you can try dipped-parts.com

AKEP
06-05-2011, 07:58 AM
400-600 grit sand paper
metal polishing compound
metal polish wheel
drill
time
patience

maybe paint stripper. cant metal polish wheels with a clearcoat. ** you will need to keep up with the wheels if you strip the clear off**

PatrickJamesYu
06-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Dude. You knew the "chrome in a can" wouldnt work when you bought it. Having stuff polished is kinda pricey, mainly due to the time it takes. I would hope that the wheels are really nice and worth polishing. Pics?

Ehh they're actually cheapies
BBS LM replicas, I just wanted the wheels in a high polish finish
That and/or I wanted to do like black chrome or something.

So by what you guys are all saying:
It's more like m having to go in and Polish it out? Rather than 'adding' the finish?

AKEP
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
yup.

good news: you can machine polish (my method, if you can find the polishing equipment - got mine at OSH)

bad news: you can hand polish (eagle metal polish wadding)

PatrickJamesYu
06-06-2011, 08:29 PM
yup.

good news: you can machine polish (my method, if you can find the polishing equipment - got mine at OSH)

bad news: you can hand polish (eagle metal polish wadding)

Thanks

So why is the eagle metal polishing wads, bad news?

But I think I'm gonna try to go with your method

How would you tackle something as intricate as BBS RS/ Enkie 92 style wheels?

JaydmEp3
06-06-2011, 09:02 PM
yea u need a ton of time and PATIENCE!! lol

tried to polish the rotas i had b4 but jus gave up. used aircraft paint remover, 800-2000 grit sandpaper and mothers chrome polish. took a whole day to polish one and got fed up. lolz so it all depends on u pat. lol go to shops ppl have got them done b4 not to jus to anyone or else u'll get a crappy finish.

ShadowEP3
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
mesh wheels are the worst choice to hand polish; i tried to do mine (RS reps) and i gave up after a week..too time consuming and i got alot of hand craps

AKEP
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks

So why is the eagle metal polishing wads, bad news?

But I think I'm gonna try to go with your method

How would you tackle something as intricate as BBS RS/ Enkie 92 style wheels?

1. cause that shits slow, takes hours to polish anything with that stuff. but you'll have to use it if you want to get between the mesh.
2. if your doing the lip, get it. lol. the mesh part, i think i wouldnt even try it, cause i dont know anything that could get the tight corners. would just strip it any paint it again.

talonXracer
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Meshies? sandblast and paint or powedercoat, they can be chromed as well.

ep3jd
06-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Just paint the center and leave the lip/bolts polished or whatever they are and give them a real 3 piece feel even though they're replicas

Btw I'm real jealous. I wanted to get the wagen wheels lm reps for a bit now I just haven't found them used anywhere