PDA

View Full Version : Parts for a oem brake swap?

Aklass
06-05-2011, 06:59 AM
I have an 04 ep3, and I cant fine a definite thread stating all the parts needed for this swap, so far I know you need
DC5-S or S2000 caliper
Type S rotors
Type S Pads
The thing that has me confused is do I need the brackets? And do you have to modify the dust shields to fit the bigger rotors?

AKEP
06-05-2011, 07:49 AM
not 100% but i think you just need caliper, rotors, brake pads. also proportioning valve.

worst case, you need the brackets. they are cheap.

and little to no trimming for the calipers to fit.

shanewdude
06-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I think you only need the calipers, rotors, and pads. The size of the master cylinder only affects how much travel the brake pedal has, so basically just feel, not power. I don't think you need the proportioning valve, either.

Here's some threads to read:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?59101-RSX-type-s-5-Lug-Brake-Conversion-Master-Cylander-Question.......&highlight=type+s+brake

This one is good, check some of the last posts:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?46265-05-EP3-to-DC5-Brake-Conversion-s/page2&highlight=type+s+brake

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?47361-The-Official-ish-EP3-Brake-thread/page4&highlight=type+s+brake

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44919-RSX-brake-proportining-valve&highlight=type+s+brake

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

RHCP0801
06-05-2011, 08:39 AM
yea all you need are the calipers, pads and rotors. You can bend back the shields so they dont hit the rotors, thats what i did and its been good for like 2 years now

AKEP
06-05-2011, 09:11 AM
i would go with a proportioning valve too. who wouldn't like the extra bite with this little upgrade...

RHCP0801
06-05-2011, 10:14 AM
just get stainless lines, the braking improves a whole lot with that upgrade

27rocks
06-05-2011, 10:29 AM
i would go with a proportioning valve too. who wouldn't like the extra bite with this little upgrade...

You don't need this. You wont get any more bite out of it just a little different pedal feel like stated above. The typeS calipers are not that much bigger the the stock Ep ones, so you will hardly even notice a difference if any at all. I have a Rotora BBK and i didn't even notice a difference from my stock set up.
I would however (if funds permit) invest in some SS lines all the way a round and a good fluid to go along.

AKEP
06-05-2011, 10:32 AM
what happened to people saying the proportioning valve alone reduced braking effort?

27rocks
06-05-2011, 11:02 AM
what happened to people saying the proportioning valve alone reduced braking effort?

A proportioning valve doesn't necessarily reduce braking effort but more of which section of the brakes the fluid will reach with a certain amount of pressure. They are mainly used to sync front and rear brake bias or control how much fluid pressure goes from front to back. Brake pedal feel or pressure comes mainly from the master cylinder and brake booster.

AKEP
06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
understood. so more fluid on front ep brakes = more bite w/same pedal effort.

either way, you just explained why we should use it with rsx front brakes. brake bias. =]

shanewdude
06-05-2011, 02:13 PM

either way, you just explained why we should use it with rsx front brakes. brake bias. =]

A bigger master cylinder only decreases pedal travel, not the amount of force you need on the pedal. The proportioning valve doesn't increase the amount of bite on a brake at all... like 27rocks said it just spreads out the force more equally to each brake. I'd love to try it on my car, but I'm too poor for the swap right now. :mcry:

Zzyzx
06-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Yup, and longer stopping distances, as you would at that point be under utilizing the rear brakes even more then what the OEM setup is designed to already do; and thus have less overall braking "power".

But at least the pedal will feel nice and stiff.

RedSiBaron
06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Only time you should switch to type s prop valve or master cylinder is if you have the same brakes as a type s...otherwise the prop will through off the balance...

Aklass
08-14-2011, 09:49 AM
hate to do a late bump, but ive finally collected the funds to do this, my question now is that I've already ordered RSX-S front pads, but I've found S2k calipers for cheaper, will the 2005 AP2 calipers fit my 04 ep3? I think the pads should fit as they are the same part #