PDA

View Full Version : Strange rattling noise

dttaz
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Okay so just for info it seems like this is a noise that I have somehow caused...

I changed my brake pads last weekend and everything went pretty smoothly...

-removed wheel
-removed mounting bolt that holds brake line out of the way
-removed bolt from top of caliper and swung caliper down
-replaced pads
-used some muscle to push the caliper open just enough to slide back over the pads
-replaced bolt in top of caliper
-replaced mounting bolt for brake line
-replaced wheel

So now I have this strange rattling noise coming from the front passenger wheel area of the car. I had initially assumed that it was my mounting bolt holding the break line out of the way so i removed the wheel again and made sure the bolt and the caliper bolts were tight, which they were.

So now I have no idea where the noise could be coming from, here are some tests that ive done to determine where the noise is coming from...

-The noise can happen anywhere from 5mph on up to being really loud on the freeway.

-With the driver window up and the passenger down the sound is significantly louder and i can hear the sound echo off of a wall while driving

-the slightest pressure on the brake pedal and the noise goes away instantly

-going down the freeway and putting the car in neutral and the noise is the same

-intentionally driving over road reflectors with the right wheels causes the noise every time i run one over, driving over them on the left causes no noise.

-ive tried pushing down on the front of the car to try to jiggle it so i could hear it but just pushing down on the car doesnt cause the noise...

the sound isnt always there, it doesnt start or stop at a specific speed, it just randomly comes and goes. its almost like a clicking noise. or maybe a shot bearing? idk i need help! lol

does anyone have any idea of what it might be?

dttaz
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Got it... brake hardware kit... the pad was rattling inside the caliper

Prracer
07-02-2011, 09:00 AM
they sell this silicone looking stuff that you put in the back of the pad and it stops it from doing that

RedSiBaron
07-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Got it... brake hardware kit... the pad was rattling inside the caliper

That's exactly what I was going to suggest...glad you caught it...