PDA

View Full Version : Weighted shift knobs bad for transmission...true or false?

DRP967
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.statracing.com/images/store/skunk2-shift-knob.jpg

Whats up everyone, I am currently running a Skunk2 shift knob in my EP3. Its weighted to 440 grams. Loving the look and feel of it plus the weight. Every shift just feels positive and smooth. Now I have read/heard that a weighted/heavy shift knob is bad for the tranny/gears/etc. Some say all good while others swear its detrimental. Whats the truth behind this? Personally I dont buy into it but just to have peace of mind, id like to know for sure. Thank you for any help/input.

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-10-2011, 05:06 PM
are you serious. who ever said that a "shift knob" that screws on to a shifter is bad for your tranny, is a dumb F***. it's like sayin do you fap dry or with lotion. if you use lotion your d*** is going to fall off.

boricua4life
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
:pity: with the lotion:mbiggrin:

are you serious. who ever said that a "shift knob" that screws on to a shifter is bad for your tranny, is a dumb F***. it's like sayin do you fap dry or with lotion. if you use lotion your d*** is going to fall off.

MBaG
06-10-2011, 07:05 PM
real men use sand paper anyway.

j0000stin
06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
real men use sand paper anyway.

i use epoxy?

talonXracer
06-10-2011, 07:56 PM
yeah I have heard this being spouted in the past. It can be true for some vehicles, not as a cause, but by amplifing existing issues, but in the case of the Kseries I had no issues running the heavy Skunk2 shift knob, but have heard of them. If it wasnt for going with a S2k leather 6spd knob, I would still be sporting the skunk2 knob.

DRP967
06-10-2011, 09:57 PM
yeah I have heard this being spouted in the past. It can be true for some vehicles, not as a cause, but by amplifing existing issues, but in the case of the Kseries I had no issues running the heavy Skunk2 shift knob, but have heard of them. If it wasnt for going with a S2k leather 6spd knob, I would still be sporting the skunk2 knob.

Cool thanks for the info.

MBaG
06-10-2011, 10:40 PM
i use epoxy?

vid or it dont happen.

DRP967
06-11-2011, 05:32 AM

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/216092-weighted-shift-knob-bad-tranny.html

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522445

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=45441577

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/archived-threads/77454-weight-shift-knob-bad-tranny.html

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t22665.html

*Just a few threads from various forums.

Calvinep3
06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I have the same shifter and i feel like it contributed to my third gear messing up. When im driving and I slow down in third and my gear kicks out on its own bc the shift knob's weight bring it down, but when i slow down in third and I hold it in place nothing happens and my gears stays in. I think because of the way our shifter is positioned the weight of the shift knob is constantly pulling down on the gear.

sleepy ep3
06-12-2011, 02:20 AM
I have the same shifter and i feel like it contributed to my third gear messing up. When im driving and I slow down in third and my gear kicks out on its own bc the shift knob's weight bring it down, but when i slow down in third and I hold it in place nothing happens and my gears stays in. I think because of the way our shifter is positioned the weight of the shift knob is constantly pulling down on the gear.
You shouldn't be able to pull it out of gear easily without the clutch pedal being pressed, much less the weight of the shift knob+gravity. I bet you have other issues. If that was the case, my dick would fall off from the weight of it being so massive and heavy. :mcool:

talonXracer
06-12-2011, 06:29 AM
You shouldn't be able to pull it out of gear easily without the clutch pedal being pressed, much less the weight of the shift knob+gravity.

I bet you have other issues. If that was the case, my dick would fall off from the weight of it being so massive and heavy. :mcool:

The heavy shift knobs most assuredly apply downward pressure on the shifter, no different than laying your hand on the shifter, I have seen the shifter drop out of 1-3-5th gears when hitting a hard bump. With the EP3's more verticle shift pattern, the extra weight could indeed apply a load upon the synchros, it isnt the same as say the RSX where laying your hand on the shifter applies no pressure upon the synchros but merely upon the shifter hinge. You can very easily take the trans in and out of gear without ever using the clutch and cause absolutely no damage, but if it happens when a bump is hit then actual gear damage could occur.

And that little itty bitty thing you call a D--k is merely an oversized wart,,,,,,,,,,LOL

T_Virus
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think it is bad for the transmission. What's bad for the transmission is people who misshift.

talonXracer
06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Simply lay your hand on the shifter and allow your arm to hang from the shifter, you will feel the gears and synchros riding each other all the way up the shift cables and into the shiofter. This wears the synchros very quickly.

Passenger
06-13-2011, 12:44 PM
The heavy shift knobs most assuredly apply downward pressure on the shifter, no different than laying your hand on the shifter, I have seen the shifter drop out of 1-3-5th gears when hitting a hard bump. With the EP3's more verticle shift pattern, the extra weight could indeed apply a load upon the synchros, it isnt the same as say the RSX where laying your hand on the shifter applies no pressure upon the synchros but merely upon the shifter hinge. You can very easily take the trans in and out of gear without ever using the clutch and cause absolutely no damage, but if it happens when a bump is hit then actual gear damage could occur.

And that little itty bitty thing you call a D--k is merely an oversized wart,,,,,,,,,,LOL

this