PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with my clutch??

hondafrk
06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, Kinda new to the whole EP game, had a EG back in the day and I knew that car inside and out, but getting used to the engine/transmission is taking me a little longer on the EP.

Anywho, my EP has about 150k on the ticker right now and I'm assuming that the clutch is a stock clutch and the original one.

Since I've had it I've noticed a little inconsistency in the clutch disengagement. Sometimes it feels completely normal, and sometimes it feels kinda spongy and like its not completely disengaging. I've never had a problem shifting or anything until last night.

I had just got out of my car to open the garage door and I got back in and It was like my clutch pedal was pressed down 1/2 way and I couldn't shift into gear. I pumped it several times and nothing happened. Finally I used my foot and pulled the pedal all the way up and then it would disengage the clutch and shift fine. The pedal felt a little spongy though.
Also, today after turning a corner and downshifting, the same thing happened again with the pedal not fully returning up. I had to pull it up and then it worked fine.
I didn't really think much of it I guess because I proceeded on taking a 360 mile trip to Detroit and everything seemed to work fine all the way there.

When I was getting ready to leave Detroit, I had my clutch pushed in and was talking to a friend out the window and I had it pushed in for about a minute or two and then I heard a little pop and the clutch engaged while i was in neutral, I never took my foot off the pedal and I had to lift up on the pedal again as it was stuck down.
The drive home was fine with no incidents, but I was scared to push the clutch out of fear I might not be able to get it working again.
I've never had problem shifting into gears when its working fine, only when the pedal sticks down. Once I pull the pedal up, it shifts just fine. The clutch does not slip either. It seems to engage properly and can handle WOT pulls with no problem at all.

OK, I'm thinking something along the lines of Clutch master or Slave cylinder. I have a fairly good knowledge about cars since I used to be a mechanic, so I located the flex line from the master cylinder to the slave and I pinched it off with a pair of needlenose pliers. I then pushed on the pedal expecting to find some bypass of fluid but the pedal held strong for about two minutes with no sign of fading. After that test, I depressed the clutch pedal completely and held it down with a 2x4 and watched the slave cylinder to see if it was creeping back, but after 2 minutes it was still completely disengaged. The clutch seemed to work fine on the way home, but the pedal felt pretty spongy.

Could the slave be bad?? Or am I looking at a potential internal clutch issue given the mileage on the car. Or could the Clutch master be intermittently be acting goofy?? The local auto parts store has a new clutch master coming for me tomorrow, but I'm not sure I need it now since testing it. So I'm just not sure any more.

Just curious about what you guys who have a bit of experience with the EPs have found in the past.

hondafrk
06-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Any ideas?

talonXracer
06-13-2011, 05:39 AM
I would check you clutch pedal return spring and double check the "at rest" height for the pedal. The specs are in the Helms manual, do not get a chiltons or any other manual as they are full of false and misleading info. There are several guys on here with downloadable copies in their signatures.

hondafrk
06-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Ok. Ill check that. But I don't think that would explain the pop noise while I had the clutch pressed in then the clutch instantly engaging without lifting my foot up.

dj addicted
06-13-2011, 09:21 AM
It could be something as simple as air in the lines. Have you checked the fluid level? Hows the color? Look for simple solutions first before you start throwing parts at it.

27rocks
06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Well the only time i've experienced my pedal getting stuck to the bottom is when i popped a seal on the CMC. But since you said it would hold pressure after you did your pinch method i'm not so sure that could be the problem.
Like stated above check fluid level and condition of fluid. Also check the pedal itself. If everything checks out clear then it's most likely your clutch going out. I had some issues with mine somewhat similar like this (with the exception of the pedal sticking down) when two of the springs decided to leave the clutch. It was mainly engagement issues along with shifting...

hondafrk
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok, checked my fluid, its a clear, slightly yellow color. Looks OK to me. Tried gravity bleeding, no change.... It hasn't acted up today yet. Im really kinda thinking that my clutch is going out.... Sucks... But on the bright side, I live a few miles away from South Bend Clutch and they have a new Kevlar stage 2 kit there for me for about 250 bucks whenever i'm ready!!!

hondafrk
06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Quick update. My problem was my Clutch Master Cylinder. I replaced it, adjusted the freeplay and everything is OK now. After a few more days of driving it, I realized that the clutch was slowly bleeding down when I held it in at stop signs and whenever I was holding the clutch in for longer than a few seconds.

New Clutch master took me about 30 minutes to install and bleed out. Good as new now!! Thank god I didn't replace the clutch first! I decided to use the CMC from the 01 Civic EX. My local Advance Auto parts had a new one for 35 bucks! I think they messed up on the price but that's all I paid for it! LOL!

talonXracer
06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Good deal !!!

Yeah i never tell anyone to get the stockie as a replacement, the EX CMC is far better, it doesnt have the expansion chamber(the triangular portion of the stockie), which is the very part that fails. It is a buffer to slow the action of the clutch.

hondafrk
06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
That must be why the EX CMC feels a little different than the Stock one. Its almost like I can feel the clutch more.

Jmage
06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Nice cheap fix! I'm planning on replacing my clutch and flywheel soon and if I can find a CMC for 35$ like you I would do it at the same time. Can I have the part number of the CMC you used or the one that Talon's recommend? I don't know if Canadian 01 EX civic are the same as yours in the USA.

Thanks!

rd02SiR
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Nice cheap fix! I'm planning on replacing my clutch and flywheel soon and if I can find a CMC for 35$ like you I would do it at the same time. Can I have the part number of the CMC you used or the one that Talon's recommend? I don't know if Canadian 01 EX civic are the same as yours in the USA.

Thanks!

I think their EX is our Si. Their Si is our SiR.

Jmage
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I think their EX is our Si. Their Si is our SiR.

Ok so Part# 46920-S5A-G04 is the American 02 EX CMC that we need to get as replacement, right?

I saw, while searching honda parts, that the 02 EP3 CMC part# 46920-S7A-A02 is now superceded with part# 46920-S7A-A03. Does it have a difference at all or the EX CMC is still the best option?

apexracing
07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
had this same problem on my eg sedan, replaced the clutch slave cylinder. what was happening is it was leaking under the rubber dust cover. no fluid was showing but it was leaking pressure.

talonXracer
07-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Ok so Part# 46920-S5A-G04 is the American 02 EX CMC that we need to get as replacement, right?

I saw, while searching honda parts, that the 02 EP3 CMC part# 46920-S7A-A02 is now superceded with part# 46920-S7A-A03. Does it have a difference at all or the EX CMC is still the best option?

That is the correct part#, Still go with the EX one, the only difference between the two EP3 CMC's is the newer one is cheaper built.