PDA

View Full Version : Noise with new amp install, help please!

feedphillipnow
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I put in an amp and I have a low audible buzzing, I think it's from the alternator, I can hear it with the volume all the way down, but when tunes are playing I don't really hear it. Which wires would be picking up more noise? I'd like to relocate as few wires as possible, or specifically the problematic ones? Would the blue ANT wire be an issue?
Thanks...

introvert
06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Ensure amp is properly grounded to bare metal.

Rcas should be run on opposite side of vehicle, away from speaker wire runs and a decent gap away from power. Rcas also need to be away from any source of power.

si.hatch
06-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I had the same problem when I put and amp to my mids and highs.

Do you have a pioneed headunit?

You may need to ground the RCA's on the headunit itself.

Just take some speaker wire, strip off the entire jacket, wrap it around the RCA terminals screw the ends down with a screw nearby. Then put your RCA cables on and see if the problem persists

feedphillipnow
06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
It's not a Pioneer, It's an Alpine, but it's getting replaced with JVC this week. I tested almost everything today I still get noise. When the engine is off it sounds perfect, just when the engine starts I get the buzzing/ zapping crackle sound, it's not loud but it's there.

I re-routed the REMOTE/ANT blue wire, and changed the ground on the amp, and played with the power wire under the hood by moving it to the middle and I still get the buzzing. The RCA cables or the power wire I feel may be the issue. The RCA cables are routed in middle of the car up to the deck, the power cable runs from under the driver seat along the side by the steering column, in through the firewall and into the battery.

Sigh, this is tough...

introvert
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Check the full length of the speaker wire, I guess. Make sure it's not shredded somewhere or close to power. Another possible source would be the back of the receiver or the RCAs touching something on the chassis once it's mounted.. Is the receiver grounded properly as well?

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Sounds like an issue with the RCA lines a way to test it is to take another RCA cable and plug it into the back of the deck and with out running that new RCA plug it into the amp. I have seen rcas become damaged during installs so try that out. If that doesn't fix it re ground the amp to bare metal take a wire wheel and sand off any paint and use a star washer on the ground screw

feedphillipnow
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the help, I lucked out. I Installed my new stereo and there is no noise whatsoever! It's a JVC iPhone compatible deck w/usb I got from Amazon, not bad!