PDA

View Full Version : Help with my amp/ channel choices

feedphillipnow
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey all!

I got a new JVC i/Phone deck which I really like, but it only has 2 sets of RCA outputs, Subwoofer which I don't have, and front RCA out. I tried running the speakers out the sub hoping it would work but it's a no go and works with sub only.

I have front and rear speakers and no subwoofer, my amp is a 4 channel. Is there anyway I can run all 4 speakers with a 4 channel amp and only 1 set of rca's on the deck?

If not, the only thing I can think of is to somehow just wire the front speakers direct to the stereo and bypass the amp, and just run my rear speakers... and let the other 2 channels go to waste?

It's a Jensen Power760 amp.

Hope that made sense, and hope someone chimes in...

Thanks in advance.

introvert
06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
*EDIT: I assumed you only had a single pair of RCA pre-outs.
Given that you have two pairs, the second set should be able to be switched from full range to sub. Check the manual.

feedphillipnow
06-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I read the entire manual, I didn't see anything, and played with all the settings, nothing... as of yet, I'll keep looking, that would be great if there was a setting. If not I'll just have to wire it to the deck and not the amp. Since the deck is 50x4, and I'd just be running the front's off the deck could I wire together the rear and front wires off the deck and get 100x2 for the fronts? Or is that not possible?

introvert
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
You could run all 4 speakers off the FRONT CHANNELS of the amp. (And not using the rear channels.) This would basically be presenting a 2 Ohm load to the amp. You basically end up doubling the power, but increase distortion as well. Could shorten the life of the amp, too.

Or you could run the rear speakers off the deck and then BRIDGE all 4 channels of the amp and just throw the entire amp at the fronts. More power, without the distortion. Downside: rear speakers are still on the deck (and getting noise from the deck).

feedphillipnow
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Cool!

Well, here is what I am thinking of doing. If it's safe and won't hurt anything.
Bridge the deck itself to run the front speakers, instead of 50x4 it would be 100x2 (I don't know how to bridge the deck properly if I can do this)

And bridge my amp to run all 4 channels into 2 channels, just for the rear speakers?

Would this work?

introvert
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
You can:
* bridge the front two speakers (4Ohms x 2)
(or)
* run all four speakers on two channels (2 Ohms x 2)
You can't do both.

What model of JVC is it?

feedphillipnow
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Awesome.
It's JVC KD-HDR60

So if I do that, would I wire the front and rear positive L together, and the front/rear negatives together, then attach to the speakers? Or do I cross them over somehow?

introvert
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Was able to find the manual. That's weird that they don't let you switch the sub channel into a full pass. Oh well, guess they want you to get a higher model.

Another option popped into my head. You could split the front channels using two of these (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-spl9dKWycjF/p_119ILJRY2F/Monster-Cable-1-Male-2-Female-RCA-Y-adapter.html). Would use all four channels of your amp, but since the deck is only putting out 2.5V via RCA... You're probably just better off living with the distortion and running 100W(2Ohm) x 2 to all 4 speakers instead.

And yes, basically you would run the same wires in parallel to both speakers.

feedphillipnow
06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I think I may try the Y adapters, do you think it won't be worth it? It may change my panning/ fader settings too which is ok, but things may be backwards. I'd just like to get something out of my amp since I just bought it.

introvert
06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
It wouldn't change the fade settings since you'd only be outputting via the front RCAs on the deck.