PDA

View Full Version : Loud grinding/rattleing noise when cornering left hard turns

dyeownsme
06-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, I have a loud grinding noise when turning left only. Only when the wheel is turned more then half way and above say 10mph...

I tried searching and still am unsure what it is.
I did the wheel bearing test and the wheel feels solid.

Any help is appreciated I don't want to pay and arm and a leg to figure this out.
Thanks

Tsuru
06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
This is a shot in the dark since my ep is doing the same thing. Have you looked at the heat shield for the catalytic converter? My ep's was rusting off and the bottom half of it was dragging pavement before I was able to remove it. The top half of it is still lodged over the midsection of the exhaust system and rattles around when I make left turns on the vehicle. I plan on removing it this weekend. I'll let you know if it remedies the situation.

RedSiBaron
06-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Axle cv joint...check your boots, and if you feel like it pull the axle check the cv joints...I had a car do something like this and when I checked the axle I discovered a cv joint that barelly wanted to articulate

hyu
06-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Its about a 70 dollar part and like 20-50 dollars in labor.
I destroyed both of mine in my neon when I was tracking it and it sounded like a 4x4 with off road tires.

RedSiBaron
06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Its about a 70 dollar part and like 20-50 dollars in labor.
I destroyed both of mine in my neon when I was tracking it and it sounded like a 4x4 with off road tires.

Ive never had a wheel bearing make noise only when making a turn more than half lock...bad bearings make noise under load, it should make noise all the time, exept for right turns (if it were the passenger side bearing that were bad)

dyeownsme
06-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Ive never had a wheel bearing make noise only when making a turn more than half lock...bad bearings make noise under load, it should make noise all the time, exept for right turns (if it were the passenger side bearing that were bad)

I agree, and the wheel feels solid when I rocked it off the ground.
I think it's getting worse and now I hear a slight rattle randomly going straight which leads me to think it is the brakes...

*Could it be a brake pad rattle due to lack of shims?*

RedSiBaron
06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
I agree, and the wheel feels solid when I rocked it off the ground.
I think it's getting worse and now I hear a slight rattle randomly going straight which leads me to think it is the brakes...

*Could it be a brake pad rattle due to lack of shims?*

No, im 99% certain its not your brakes, since if it were it would a problem under braking, not only left hand turns over 10mph...

...HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR AXLES YET? As I am fairly certain this is where your problem lies...

dyeownsme
06-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I tried, when I turned the wheel all the way to the left and turned the tire I hear the outer boot squeaking. (not the same noise - non metallic) Could this indicate wear on the axle itself? **I take the axle out? then what?

I did notice some uneven wear on the inside of the left rotor, and I didn't install the brake pad shims when I changed the pads (but this was in December.)

-Also the sound does remind me of a rattling heat shield but I don't see how it could be as its only when turning. I will try to really get under the car tonight.

Zzyzx
06-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Check the fender liner for wear marks from the tires! I sometimes hit the fender liner a bit before full lock on some harder turns, made one hell of a racket.

Ba82Ep3
06-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Rear swaybar hitting your exhaust?

talonXracer
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Sounding more and more like a CV issue.

dink32788
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
i have the same problem right now. I dont think its a cv problem, but i could be wrong. im thinking brakes, because it really really sounds like brakes. and mine will go away for a day, then come back. Its really confusing lol. but i think im just gonna get some new brakes anyways cause i want to upgrade from the old beat autozone brakes i bought when i was broke lol and see if that fixes the problem-o

maksym
07-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Had similar issue. It was the sway bar link. Try inspecting that.

dyeownsme
07-19-2011, 02:09 PM
i have the same problem right now. I dont think its a cv problem, but i could be wrong. im thinking brakes, because it really really sounds like brakes. and mine will go away for a day, then come back. Its really confusing lol. but i think im just gonna get some new brakes anyways cause i want to upgrade from the old beat autozone brakes i bought when i was broke lol and see if that fixes the problem-o
Seems it is the brakes. I caved and brought it to a shop they said it was debris in the right front caliper

100$ later I still have a noise, not as loud and mainly when I turn the wheel all the way... and at low speeds... confusing.

My rear brakes are shot I thought that might be part of it but becasue it happens when I turn the wheel seems like it still the front.

88crx
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Rear wheels rubbing on trailing arm?

shakezillaAE86
11-20-2011, 10:53 PM
if its in the front i had a similar problem but mine didn't rattle,
whenever i take a medium/hard turn i would get a grinding noise from the front come to find out the lower control arm bushing were junk.

A friend of mine from honda says its a common problem in the ep3's...in places that use alot of salt on the road
If its in the rear than take a look at the bushings back there they're very overlooked and important parts