PDA

View Full Version : How do I Install this I'm lost!? Private label race header to skunk2 exhaust???ASAP

getfreshcrue
06-21-2011, 06:14 PM
So I installed the header pain in the ass now the header came with a Test pipe is it necessary? Because if I instll it with the test pipe it is too long if I go with out the test pipe the gasket doesn't really fit because it has 3 bolts and without the test pipe it'll be 2 bolt gasket to a 3 bolt... Please tell me anything...

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-21-2011, 06:18 PM
either redo do your mid pipe 3 inches shorter or the test pipe. those headers are made for a type-s not an ep3 and im not talking motor.

AUTiger
06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
yeah man, looks like you didn't do enough research. You need a type-s specific midpipe. Take the testpipe to a shop and have them take 3in. out of it. Basically 1.5in off the side with two bolts and then 1.5in out after the o2 sensor spot before the curve at the end.

MBaG
06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
As they already stated, it's meant for a type-s. So you have 2 options:

1) get a type-s midpipe
2) cut off 3 inches or so from your current midpipe. (or from the test pipe?)

getfreshcrue
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
oh wow lol why would they sell it and say its meant for an 02 si ;/ yeah i didnt do enough research i guess i suppose ill take it to a shop.

getfreshcrue
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
http://tinypic.com/r/2ym6det/7

that is how it looks.... are you sure just three inches?

what would you guys recommend to cut? the test pipe or the mid pipe? what will keep my check engine light off?

getfreshcrue
06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
does anybody have a picture of this setup?

talonXracer
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Here is a picture of a SSR/DTR header with a EP3 specific test pipe and midpipe. The red line is the approx location of the flange for the typeS
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/eld246JPG1.jpg

And here is a picture of the header with a Spun mettalic core cat in place of the test pipe, but requires a typeS specific midpipe.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/ssrandcat-1.jpg

getfreshcrue
06-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Ok ok so, I need to be walked through this because I am going to take it to someone to cut and weld today and I want to be 100 percent sure before I cut.. First should I just take it to an exhaust shop and have them see the setup and see how much they should cut and what not or is it easy enough as to just cut the 3 inches like you guys tell me (that is what everyone does and it fits?)and weld where you guys tell me? Second what do you guys recommend to cut the testpipe (one with the o2 sensors right?) or the midpipe (one the is just a pipe) sorry im new and learning along the way. Third so cutting won't mess with the way the pipes are supposed to curve to fit the car? And last I should get it cut 1.5 from each side that's how you do it right? I am sorry for all the questions again. I'll post a video of me driving open headers home.

getfreshcrue
06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Walk me through :/ tell me where I have to walk where I have to breathe... Everything just this time my back is killing me from working hours on this car yesterday and having it not fit

talonXracer
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I would just have the muffler shop just make what you have work together, less headaches, hassles and cost.

RHCP0801
06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
yea just bring it all to an exhaust shop and say here, do whatever you have to do to make this fit

getfreshcrue
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2geR3Kjwdk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Open header video

usedep3
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I would just have the muffler shop just make what you have work together, less headaches, hassles and cost.

yea just bring it all to an exhaust shop and say here, do whatever you have to do to make this fit

this. any decent exhaust shop should be able to do this for you with minimal problems. if i were you i would have them mess with just the test pipe portion. you live in nyc, they should be plenty of places to do it.

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2geR3Kjwdk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Open header video
its not that loud unless you get on the gas. keep it cruising and you'll make it to the shop with out any hassle from the popo

AUTiger
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
seriously, that sounds way better than when I ran open header in the driveway with my dcrh and when I was a megan shorty and testpipe. I have the kiddracing header too with an 06 type-s midpipe and my stock axelback, it is super quiet.

getfreshcrue
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
its not that loud unless you get on the gas. keep it cruising and you'll make it to the shop with out any hassle from the popo

i mean it is pretty damn loud lol like it sets off alarms and scares people and idk just loud sounds like rally cars, even the idle is loud the video really does no justice. And yeah plenty of exhaust shops im going tomorrow just i dont want them to charge me for installation and all that crap just cut it for me and weld it back then ill install it myself thats what i want.... so im pretty much just not sure what to cut test or mid pipe? and how much do you think this will cost?

getfreshcrue
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I went to a exhaust shop they said they could make me a custom midpipe but they don't have stainless steel only aluminum? Did u guys get ur midpipes made out of stainless steel or is aluminum ok? Pls lemme know ASAP

RHCP0801
06-23-2011, 03:10 PM
my whole 3 inch is made out of aluminum

getfreshcrue
06-23-2011, 03:51 PM
They're making the midpipe and at the curves they seem to be making it a bit thinner as they curve it than the diameter :/ is that the only way to do it?

getfreshcrue
06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
So now the midpipe Is in with the curves a wee bit thinner than the whole diameter and I believe it is making my exhaust sound quieter is that possible? Or maybe I'm used to the open headers... Also it is hanging dangerously close to the ground -_-.. I'll take pictures and post it up later.

apexracing
06-24-2011, 08:40 AM
sigh i would of done one of two things. returned the header as soon as i found out it was the wrong one. or bought a meagan type s mid pipe. I'm not sure why they just wouldn't modify your mid pipe. it would of been allot easier and cheaper for them.

AUTiger
06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
the kiddracing header only comes in type-s specific and last I checked, Megan doesn't make a type-s specific midpipe. The shop really did go the more expensive route on you though.

apexracing
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
the kiddracing header only comes in type-s specific and last I checked, Megan doesn't make a type-s specific midpipe. The shop really did go the more expensive route on you though.

my bad on the mid pipe, swear i saw one somewhere. but with the header wether they made one or not. if it didn't fit i would return it and buy one that did.

getfreshcrue
06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Already done :/ guess I'll keep this midpipe temporarily for a few moNths

MBaG
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
my bad on the mid pipe, swear i saw one somewhere. but with the header wether they made one or not. if it didn't fit i would return it and buy one that did.

It's a good header for that price. & they only made them type-s specific. Even with having to modify your midpipe, it's still a lot cheaper than the SSR header.