PDA

View Full Version : It may be time for me to move on from my 05 VBP...

rtnlsltn
06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Well guys, I've been in the market for something new with a bit more pep. My EP is inching in on 100k, the end of my extended powertrain warranty, and a clutch replacement. I purchased her as a CPO in 07 with 36k.

I initially went the Subaru route, hoping to find a 2011 WRX hatch. I ended up driving a 2011 STI, as the WRX's are limited due to the tsunami in Japan. I drove the STI assuming it would feel just like the 03-07 STI sedans, but was not greeted with the same raw feel. I felt so disconnected from the engine that I didn't know what to do when driving it: watch the road, or try to feel where the hell the clutch is engaging. I then went on to drive a Mazdaspeed3 and a 3.8 V6 Genesis Coupe. The Speed3's interior is ungodgly and the transmission/clutch felt mushy. The Genesis was a fun car to drive, reminded me of a RWD 4th gen V6 Eclipse, but I just can't see owning a Hyundai (a bad case of "badge fear"). I wanted to drive a Ralliart Lancer, but they are nowhere to be found, and I knew what to expect out of the rest of the car (besides the drivetrain). The dealer sells every make and model (from Mini to Mitsu) so I decided to give a GTI a try, just for comparison. I never was a VW fan and always questioned the "bike rack with no bike" thing. I will say that after sitting in the Speed3, Genesis, newer Civic SI, and the STI, the GTI has the most impressive interior of them all. I was completely cynical during the entire test drive, having this VW hatred in my mind. After I got home, I realized how much I liked it, and I still don't understand where the dislike for VW came from. The handling and braking are very similar to an EP and the DSG transmission is a nice change of pace. I then drove an 08 R32 which is a complete blast to drive. The engine sound is really something unique. I've been comparing between the 2 cars (MK6 GTI and MK5 R32) and I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a 2011 or 2010 GTI, as I'd prefer to stay away from the used factor, and also from the lesser mod-ability of the R32. I didn't mod my SI much knowing the mod game ended very abruptly at "engine swap required", but I always planned to upgrade to something with more power. Right now, the GTI seems to be it.

Long story short, I think I'll be saying goodbye to my EP soon, assuming I find a well priced GTI. It will be a sad day when/if that happens. I've honestly loved this car, been through thick and thin with it, and it's always been a very reliable and unique car to own. This uniqueness is one thing I will dearly miss, but it just means I will need to mod the GTI more to compensate ;-). If I could afford it, I would keep it for a nice mod project, but it just isn't in my cards.

This also means my Genuine Type-R headlights with TSX projectors will be for sale, along with my Fujitsu SRI, CTR rep lip(unpainted from SS), Mugen rep grill (unpainted from SS), and fog light HID kit. I will post a FS thread whenever the trade-in happens. PM me if you're interested in this stuff, I may be willing to start parting now.

apexracing
06-22-2011, 09:06 AM
The hatred for vw comes from poor reliability and a 20 year on going electrical problem. my ep is a 03, just turned 199k. really your ep
will be fine for atleast 2-3 more years before needing any thing. the only major things ive replaced are calipers and a wheel bearing.
every thing else is a ok. my cams are even like new. i think your misjudging hondas reliability. But i know what your saying about the
subarus. personally spend the cash get an evo.

talonXracer
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Just because the extended warranty ripoff is expiring is no reason to give her up, 110K miles, barely broken in. I had close to triple that when I sold my EP3 last week.

BUT I will never, ever, purchase another new vehicle ever again!!!

The EP3 was the first new car and the last new car I will ever waste good cash upon(and I have owned cars and have been driving since 74'). I usually drive a car until it just doesnt run anymore and is a rusted hulk, then take it up on the mtn and leave it and find another car and drive it till it dies. Far cheaper than taking a 10 grand bite in the arse just driving a new car off the lot......LOL

mitchlikesbikes
06-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Just because the extended warranty ripoff is expiring is no reason to give her up, 110K miles, barely broken in. I had close to triple that when I sold my EP3 last week.

are you saying your ep3 had 330k?

rtnlsltn
06-22-2011, 10:08 PM
The hatred for vw comes from poor reliability and a 20 year on going electrical problem. my ep is a 03, just turned 199k. really your ep
will be fine for atleast 2-3 more years before needing any thing. the only major things ive replaced are calipers and a wheel bearing.
every thing else is a ok. my cams are even like new. i think your misjudging hondas reliability. But i know what your saying about the
subarus. personally spend the cash get an evo.

The Evo's interior is god-awful, insurance is fairly high, and i don't want to pay for the brake pads and tires that thing goes through; my friend has an Evo X. It's not that I misjudge the reliability, it's that I'm ready for something new. I know the car will go well over 200k miles, I purchased it knowing I could keep it "forever" if I wanted to. Right now, I want more out of a car, and I dont think (actually i know) the SI won't give that to me without a swap. That's an undertaking that I'm not willing to consider at this point, no return on investment, lesser sell-ability, and lots of money and time. The swap game is something I was into back when B-series was king (well it still is) but I'm getting a bit "old" to be doing that shit on my DD.

BUT I will never, ever, purchase another new vehicle ever again!!!

The EP3 was the first new car and the last new car I will ever waste good cash upon(and I have owned cars and have been driving since 74'). I usually drive a car until it just doesnt run anymore and is a rusted hulk, then take it up on the mtn and leave it and find another car and drive it till it dies. Far cheaper than taking a 10 grand bite in the arse just driving a new car off the lot......LOL

The extended warranty was a good buy for $500 when I picked the car up, i don't think that's a rip-off at all. I actually looked around for 2010 GTI's and couldn't find much, i would only save $2-3000 buying a car with 10-30k on it. The idea with the GTI is that I can continue to squeeze power out of it, Stage3 APR upgrades leave you at about 300HP, reliably. I agree, buying a car new is never a smart financial decision, but I think I'll give 'er a try, at least this once.

apexracing
06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Again why does it have to be a newer car. Find a evo ix mr. and you sir will have a balls to the walls awesome car with great looks in and
out with awesome reliability to boot.

rtnlsltn
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Again why does it have to be a newer car. Find a evo ix mr. and you sir will have a balls to the walls awesome car with great looks in and
out with awesome reliability to boot.

getting a loan on a car that old would mean shit interest rates. My buddy actually talked about selling his EvoX for a decent price, which may be a possibility...

EPSU3
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I was car shopping for a while and it is way easier to finance a new car than a used one. The bank gets more on their return if you default. I enjoyed reading the op because I investigated the same vehicles. The GTI is attractive because if you're not going to mod much you can just APR chip it and settle in around 220hp for under $500. I also looked at B6 Audi S4s. My wife had an A6 and the reliability makes me nervous once you get passed 60k miles.

apexracing
06-23-2011, 05:09 PM
getting a loan on a car that old would mean shit interest rates. My buddy actually talked about selling his EvoX for a decent price, which may be a possibility...
Depends on your credit I guess. But I've never heard of it being much of a problem.