PDA

View Full Version : Track Event at Virginia Intl Raceway

George Knighton
12-28-2002, 09:06 AM
In view of a recent post about someone driving at 130 miles per hour on the public roadways, I thought it might be a good idea to let people here know about this.

On the weekend of February 22/23, NASA-Virginia will host an HPDE at Virginia International Raceway, near Danville, Virginia.

For those of you who don't know, this is honestly arguably the best race track on the east coast. We tried to have the ITR Expo there, but it's in such demand that it was impossible.

The facillities are new and clean, and the grounds are awesome. It was built to be a motor sports country club, and it's pretty much famous world wide for the excellence of the track and the grounds.

There are several tracks at VIR. This event is at VIR-Full, which means the combination of the North and South courses.

The track itself has some very interesting features, including a tricky double apex turn onto the front straight. It's called Hog Pen. Don't pass there. LOL...

Ask around. =)

Roller Coaster: You won't know why it's called that until you finally take it the right way!

Oak Tree: One of my favourite turns in the world, tricky double apex that leads onto the back straight. Some people are faster on the back straight than they are on the front straight!

Uphill Esses: Very high speed, tricky jinks. As Jon Felton said, "If you do it right you will meet God in the Uphill Esses." LOL...

Low Esses: Not so fast, nicely technical place where the ITR shines.

This is the favourite driving track of any number of very famous racers, and here's your chance to find out why and your chance to learn more about high speed driving!

It's a NASA-Virginia event, so you can count on the very best instructors, and some expert classroom instruction from people like Dan Unkefer and Ron Spencer.

There's only one race this weekend, so there will be lots of track time. The one race is a four-hour endurance race. There will be Honda Challenge participation in the endurance race, and I expect that the Tank (red VTEC Prelude) will show very well, leaving allegedly better cars in the dust.

Corey Jacobs is the owner of the tank and principal driver; however, you should know that fellow EP3 driver Jack Harris will be co-driving it in the Enduro.

You can set up an account and register online at http://www.timingroom.com. To get the Honda Tech discount you must list your Team as Honda Tech in the spaces where you're asked for a team name.

I apologoise to the board owners for the reference to Honda Tech, but it's a 15% discount and I am sure that you want your people to get this discount. :)

This is also one of the cheaper NASA events, being in the $300 range.

You must belong to NASA to be able to go. It's $35/year. You can do this online, too. http://www.nasaproracing.com

To find out more about this particular NASA-Virginia event, visit http://www.nasaracing.net/03feb21/index.shtml. The technical inspection forms are there, too.

Lots of VIR information can be found at their site: http://www.virclub.com/.

Edit: Because of the high popularity of this excellent facility, NASA-Virginia events always fill up well ahead of the date of the event. I wouldn't wait too long, if you are thinking of experiencing this track. It's gonna be cold, but we all know that just makes for a couple of extra horses. :P

I would also like to take this opportunity to invite EP3 owners to the ITR Expo. It's at Beaver Run, Pennsylvania. Although only the ITR owners will be able to participate in the driving event there, you might still want to show up for the banquet and/or watch the event and hang out with some of the knowledgeable, experienced Honda and Acura drivers.

This event is very well sponsored, with names like Mugen (King Motorsports) and Spoon (AJ Racing) represented, together with many other well known companies.

You can get more information on the ITR Expo at http://www.itrca.com and following the links to the Expo!

Mechanic
12-28-2002, 02:43 PM
All good info, George. That's for the post.

02blksi
12-28-2002, 02:55 PM
sweet, I really want to attend VIR... BUT ~~ Im still a track newbie. Is this ok or is this geared more towards an experienced crowd. ?
If i join NASA do they have any events near ct like limerock?

I may just go .... First road trip in the si, and also bringing it to the track hopefully she'll hold..

The ITR expo is that really open to SI's or are you just trying to be polite :)

thanks for the post. --joe .

B18CXr
12-28-2002, 04:57 PM
nasa is....ok, but VIR is the chit!

i'll be there co-driving in the enduro

George Knighton
12-28-2002, 07:17 PM
sweet, I really want to attend VIR... BUT ~~ Im still a track newbie. Is this ok or is this geared more towards an experienced crowd.

Yes, it's OK to be new. There's a Novice group for people who have from zero to just a little experience on the track.

If i join NASA do they have any events near ct like limerock?

Yes, there are NASA events in Yankee land. :) NASA-Virginia is the group associated with VIR, though.

The ITR expo is that really open to SI's or are you just trying to be polite :)

Everybody's welcome on site and at the banquet. The driving event is just for the ITR.

I've fought this fight before. I've always felt that it would be awesome to have a more inclusive event/Expo, but the ITR crowd seem to want just ITR's.

What kills me is that some of my favourite Honda drivers do not drive ITR's!

So...it'll be a big event, and it's well sponsored. You won't be on the track, but it might still be fun.

And that VIR event definitely will be fun. :)