PDA

View Full Version : **ITR/CTR Internal QQ's**

Ba82Ep3
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok, im bout to go cross eyed making a parts list for this tranny. There are so many different resources and so many different part numbers...

1) IF i wanted to rebuild this ITR/CTR tranny... do i have to order parts "overnight from Japan"... or are there a USDM options?

Im just wondering if its gonna be worth the headache...

usedep3
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
if you're talking ep3r or dc5r, it looks like you can source the 1-4/R gears and FD from the US spec k series trannies. 1-3 from a dc5s/fg2/fa5. 4th from a usdm ep3/base dc5 3rd gear. the FD and reverse from an ep is the same as the dc5r/ep3r. the problem you're gonna run into in sourcing a itr/ctr 5th and 6th gear. all the other transmission internals and case can be sourced using usdm k-series parts.

also, the fd2r 5th and 6th are the same as the 05/06 dc5s 5th and 6th gears.

here's a chart that should help you with the build:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/MJ23FE/Tranny%20Gear%20Calculations/K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg

in the end it might come out to be cheaper to get a complete ep3r/dc5r tranny. used is an option but a bnib ctr tranny is available through icb motorsports among other

Ba82Ep3
06-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Hmmm... great info. I guess my biggest concern then is interchangeability with synchros and USDM/JDM gearing. In other words, if my ITR 5th gear is good, but the sync is shit... can i source a USDM sync? If thats the case, then the only difference is the actual ratio?

Ive read something about a synchro design change late 03 for CTR/ITR trannies. It was something to help 2nd to 3rd gear shifts (which we all deal with anyways), but im assuming the new part numbers would be the correct ones? I havent looked at the chart yet... but i will, and then do some more reading too. Im tired as shit and been at this since 3am...

It may just be easier to crack open my EP tranny and add the FG/FA/TSX 6th gear to it, drop in the LSD and call it a day...

Ba82Ep3
06-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Ok, i got some sleep and scoured the list you posted up and compiled what i think will work for me.

My build:

1st - 3.266

2nd - 2.130

3rd - 1.517

4th - 1.212

5th - 0.921

6th - 0.659

Final - 4.764

I can source the first three gears from either the FG2 or the DC5 6spd (same as ITR). Fourth (EP 3rd) and fifth (EP 4th) i can source from the EP3. Sixth comes from the FG2 or the CL9. This list is from USDM cars, so im assuming the synchros from those would work as well. I especially like that i can get them all from Honda... simplifying parts comparison (Honda vs Acura).

Since i dont have all of these parts from each tranny in front of me, but they all share identical main and secondary shaft length, then if the synchros DO differ in dimension (thickness), the remainder must be made up in the distance collar thicknesses or the final shimming (assuming the thickness of JDM/USDM similar numerical ratios is identical... i havent mic'd all of that out yet).

Any thoughts?