PDA

View Full Version : Warped Brake Rotors

Lucid Moments
06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I knew that would get someones attention. I know that brake rotors don't really warp, that it is uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors. What actually causes it is not as important to me as what to do about it.

This is not on my EP. This is on my tow vehicle / DD 1997 Chevrolet C1500 front discs and rear drums. It is the standard symptom of a pulsing brake pedal along with irregular braking force that goes along with the pulsing pedal. I just pulled the front wheel off and the brake rotors appear fine, and there is tons of meat left on the pads and the rotors. When I spin the rotor with my hand I can feel it hit a place of greater resistance.

So the question is what do I do about it now, and how do I keep it from happening in the future?

RedSiBaron
06-26-2011, 02:14 PM
was the vehicle sitting unmoved for a prolonged period of time?...because youll get a highspot from the pads if you let it sit too long, only way to fix it in my experience, is to just drive it and slowly wear down the high spot...

Lucid Moments
06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Doesn't sit at all. It has become my DD. And this started after I got the vehicle.

27rocks
06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Well you are not really supposed to do this but it might be the cheapest way to fix it. You said there is plenty of meat left so take them off and go get them resurfaced. I usually do this with most rotors after the pads wear out and it only costs me around $20.
Obviously the best thing to do is also buy new pads along with a freshly milled rotor but as long as the rotor doesn't have any deep groves in it from the pad you should be ok. So either do that or buy new rotors and pads.

RedSiBaron
06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
can you get the disks turned, or atleast put a runout gauge on the disk to see if there is a high spot on the disk

talonXracer
06-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I would have the rotors turned, you will see a huge difference. EVERY single time a chevy truck that I have owned that has had that symptom, nothing helps till the rotors get turned, doesnt take much. Wouldnt hurt to double check the wheel bearings as well, caliper sliders etc.

Lucid Moments
06-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Yea, I was thinking about taking them and having them turned. I've got a local place that will probably put them on their lathe for nothing. I've just got to get them off and over there.

Anybody used the Hawk light truck pads? I've been thinking about picking up some just for a little better heat tolerance when I'm towing.

talonXracer
06-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah that towing will put a hurting on a set of pads.

AKEP
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
on the subject of "warped rotors"
once, i had an instructor show me a rotor that was shaped like a pringle. came off a big truck.

a couple times, my rotors have been machined to reveal an impression of my brake pad, with a circle in the middle where the pot sits.