PDA

View Full Version : Finally, the Super Vent You All HAve Been Waiting For!! (LONG!)

2k2SiAutoXer
12-28-2002, 04:10 PM
ok everyone, here it goes.

As some of you may or may not know, I crashed my EP about 3 months ago, Oct. 6 to be exact. Not my fault, I had a tire blow out on a offramp and I went tinto a guard rail. Parts that had to be replaced was: both fenders, hood, headlights, a/c compressor and condenser, radiatior, front radiatior suppord, an engine mount, bumper cover, bumper, grille, and countless other brackets and clips. Well i figured id be without the car for 4-6 week, max. Boy was I wrong.

Well, fast foward 5 weeks. It took 5 weeks for the body shop to get enough parts to even start putting the car together, so i fugured It would be done soon. HAHA!

Another couple of weeks goes by and they tell me that they have trouble getting the hood in, and this is the last part they need. Acouple of days later they get one, but it was shipped damaged, yes damaged, straight from Honda. A few more days pass, they get a new hood, this one came damaged. COunt it....2 hoods so far. At first I thought it was a little funny, the car taking this long, but the body shop was great in keeping my informed, so i shrugged it off because I was getting my car back as soon as they got a hood in...Yeah right.

A couple of days after the 2nd hood was sent back we get a 3rd hood, finally. Shit, its damaged too, and its not even the right hood. Well, I am happy to say that 1 week before christmas I finally got the right hood. The should be done for christmas I was told. Great.

Well, the day before christmas comes and when I walked into the shop, I was greeted with grim faces. Apparently some brackets for the headlights were the wrong ones also. And some seals for the windshield were wrong to. The reason that they did not know about this earlkier was because the wrong part and the right part look very similar, its not untill they start to put the car back together that they see the difference. There is one more thing, a connection on the condenser is not the right one either. Ithe a/c system started to leak when they put it on a 24 hour test. I am so pissed about this you have no idea. The car being gone this long is due to human error, at American Honda. Oh, and Honda has been closed the whole week of christmas so that another week of waiting for parts.

This is absolutly absurd. I could see it it was a porsche or a bmw, but a Honda? Parts should be plentiful, thats one of the things that Japaneese automakers used to be good at was thair parts departments. Oh well. On monday, honda will get a call from me and I will bitch and moan untill thay reimburse me for : one month of car payments, one month of insurance on the Si, one month of insurance on the car that my parents very graciously lent to me for 3 months. Does this sound right to any of you. The fact is that I have had extra expenses and have had to pay for a car that I cant drive because someone messed up at Honda, and they Will pay!!

--TOM

thanks for reading the book

I_VTEC
12-28-2002, 04:25 PM
Did they put a value on the cost of fixing it? If it's about 60% of the car's value, it's totalled, at least that's what my Insurance Company says. Honda should give you all lost wages and the depreciation of the car back. (i.e. the civic would have been worth, say, $13,000, but since it's a wrecked car, it's worth, say, $10,000, they should give you the difference.)

Sorry about your major inconveniences. :(

I_VTEC

CivicSiR4U2NV
12-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Here's the thing are cars are so new and not that sot after that most dealers don

Type X
12-28-2002, 04:55 PM
sucks should have gotten a CF hood
JDM CTR lights and a JDM CTR front bumper and lip THAN pulled the A/c for weight reduction. . .

;)

nah sucsk about the misfortune but honestly
keep calling, keep bitching and dont be nice

natesi
12-28-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 2k2SiAutoXer
This is absolutly absurd. I could see it it was a porsche or a bmw, but a Honda? Parts should be plentiful, thats one of the things that Japaneese automakers used to be good at was thair parts departments. Oh well.
--TOM

This is why I think people are NUTS if they want this body style to last only two years! Gettng parts is going to be hard and things like this will probably occur frequently--which totally SUCKS!

Unless we want this type of thing to be "the norm" for us, we should hope the car sells for more than two years.

!@#$%
12-28-2002, 07:01 PM
i say u demand a full trade in rollover and pick up current payments with a brand new si. With all the screw ups, its the least honda should do....we all KNOW they have plenty to sell.

ChapSchtick
12-28-2002, 07:01 PM
This might be a little something to think about. Would it be safe to say that this whole bruhaha is being taken care of by your insurance company? If so consider this, some body shops and/or salvage yards have been known to charge for storage of the vehicle while it awaits completion or pick-up. Therefor it is possible that this shop is jerking you around and "milking the clock" so to speak. It might just be me but it seems awfully strange for Honda to ship three damaged hoods within a week or so. After the second one I woulda gone to pick up the damn thing myself ;)

At any rate, I hope everything works out for you man, cause it really would suck to be without that baby for such a long time.

Good luck.

napapacoda
12-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Bad experience. I would have thought that they would give you a rental car to begin with. I doubt they will reimburse you for a car you got from your parents, as there are no loss of money to show for it and you would have needed insurance whether you drove the SI or your parents car. On the other hand, reimbursment of the monthly payments on the SI itself since you couldn't use it sounds about right. I would try my best to see if there is a way to get a new 02 SI. The resale value alone on this car is worth the risk to demand that since not many people will want to buy a car from you thats been in a major accident and has many repainted parts.

What's the rumor going around about the EP only lasting 2 years? Poor sales bringing Honda to discontinue the model after 2003?

IceD out N CALI
12-28-2002, 07:49 PM
sorry to hear about all of the setbacks. during the summer my sister backed into my ep and the deck lid needed to be replaced. they had the same problem with the decklid being shipped damaged. so i totally know what u are going through. i was without my ep for 2 weeks when it was originally supposed to be 3 days

BarracksSi
12-28-2002, 08:13 PM
About the two-year lifespan --

I haven't really heard the rumor myself, but I wouldn't be surprised, either. Honda's been revamping the Civic line every four years since 1984. The last redesign that we got in the US was in 2000, and the pattern would have a new Civic in 2004.

Then again, the sedan & coupe that we've had aren't anything like the Civic hatchbacks (yes, including the 5-door model that seems to be everywhere BUT North America). I'd like to know when this hatch body style was introduced -- I'm guessing 2002, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was earlier.

chunky
12-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by napapacoda
Bad experience. I would have thought that they would give you a rental car to begin with. I doubt they will reimburse you for a car you got from your parents, as there are no loss of money to show for it and you would have needed insurance whether you drove the SI or your parents car. On the other hand, reimbursment of the monthly payments on the SI itself since you couldn't use it sounds about right. I would try my best to see if there is a way to get a new 02 SI. The resale value alone on this car is worth the risk to demand that since not many people will want to buy a car from you thats been in a major accident and has many repainted parts.

What's the rumor going around about the EP only lasting 2 years? Poor sales bringing Honda to discontinue the model after 2003?

honda generally offers si models for a limited time only. they offered the si in '95, then didn't offer it again until '99/'00. the 6th gen si was technically a one year model that happened to span across two calendar years. if you'll remember, they were introduced early june/july and sold until the next june/july

natesi
12-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Sure, previous Si models were only available for 2 years, but keep in mind they shared the same chassis as the regular civic.

ep pilot
12-28-2002, 09:22 PM
I found this post especially amusing. I work for one of my areas most reputable collision facilities in my area. We are accredited and set up as (DRP) repair facilities for about 20-30 different Ins companies, among them AAA, Allstate, USAA, Farmers, State Farm etc

redlineracing
12-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Hey man think about this:
A piece of furniture hit a piece of glass which happend to break. This piece of glass happend to break 5 stories above my 1993 Civic SI. The damage totalled almost $4000.00 by the time it was done. This didn't happen 5 or 10 yrs ago, it happend in October. Anyway the biggest problem the bodyshop had come across was the hood. It took them 3.5 to 4 weeks alone just to get one in. Also these are people my father knows(who also owns his own auto repair place) and they've helped me out in the past. I don't know what it is about hoods but for some reason or another they seemed to get damaged pretty easily.

If ya got any questions or doubts email me. I'm pretty knoweldgable in the insurance industry

ep pilot
12-28-2002, 09:25 PM
What's the rumor going around about the EP only lasting 2 years? Poor sales bringing Honda to discontinue the model after 2003? [/B][/QUOTE]

Gosh I really would hope so, I don't want to see ep's driving around all over the place like you see 6th gen Si's......

-Ryan

ep pilot
12-28-2002, 09:31 PM
Consider this, often your Ins co will let you substitute O.E.M. parts for used or aftermarket, if you are ok with this (nothing is wrong w/ this method) you could have a hood faster than you think, and will cost the insurance company less $$$ nine times out of ten, you could opt for say a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood, have it ordered from your local speed shop, sent to the body shop for less than the cost and time to get an O.E.M hood. If my car got wrecked I would cash out and buy a Type R front cover, carbon fiber hood, and with the $$$ left over since these parts will be much less than O.E.M. I would come with the matching skirts too.

-Ryan

BlasTech
12-28-2002, 09:31 PM
sorry to hear about your troubles, I was hoping the super vent was some kind of new cold air intake....:(

napapacoda
12-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
sorry to hear about your troubles, I was hoping the super vent was some kind of new cold air intake....:(

LOL, yea, i was mislead on the topic name as well.

JSIR
12-28-2002, 11:33 PM
what you are experiencing is the way the auto industry is going nowadays. They don't want to store parts in a wharehouse that may not be needed all that often, it costs money to make parts and sit on them waiting for cars to crash, not my opinion, just the way the auto industry rationalizes things. It took 3 weeks to get a door for my EP, my body shop told me it took 6 months to get two mirror assemblies for an Accord on one of their repair projects. It took over 2 months for me waiting on a new strut/spring assembly as mine was making a clunking noise. My service guy finally took one off a new EP they had in the lot and installed it on my car as it was taking too long for the part to come in. Good luck with your reimbursement attempt.

natesi
12-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
what you are experiencing is the way the auto industry is going nowadays. They don't want to store parts in a wharehouse that may not be needed all that often, it costs money to make parts and sit on them waiting for cars to crash, not my opinion, just the way the auto industry rationalizes things. It took 3 weeks to get a door for my EP, my body shop told me it took 6 months to get two mirror assemblies for an Accord on one of their repair projects. It took over 2 months for me waiting on a new strut/spring assembly as mine was making a clunking noise. My service guy finally took one off a new EP they had in the lot and installed it on my car as it was taking too long for the part to come in. Good luck with your reimbursement attempt.

You're talking about a method of inventory control called "just in time". Most businesses realize it's best to operate like this when possible to help reduce costs and give them an opportunity to invest money in products that turn a profit (on "the floor"), rather than in storage (not making money). Unfortunately, it sounds like Honda

2k2SiAutoXer
12-29-2002, 06:43 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Acouple of comments: About the body shop covering their asses- I have seen the damaged parts. My shop tells me that they send more sheet metal back than they keep each day. About the mis communication- To get the parts, they use the VIN #, not body/trim style. The shop is very reputable and the owner is a family member of a friend so they are not screwing me over to get more money from the ins. company. They would LOVE to get the car out of there, its been in one of their bays for almost 3 MONTHS!.

Anyways, this has just been a terrible ordeal for me. Im having to pay for mistakes made by Honda, well, i wont have any of it.

--Tom