PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint and Tie Rod End problems.

K204ME
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Like the title says, Im having problems with Tie rod ends and Ball joints. I have had noises here and there over the last 2 years. I have replaced both Tie rod ends at least 2 times as well as the ball joints. I have also had to replace my swaybar links. Basicly everytime I replace one part then something else gets screwed.
If anyone can give me some kind of help as to why my ball joints and tie rod ends keep failing, that would be great.
I would like to start autocrossing my car, but its kinda hard when the suspension is never good.

By the way, my car is still basicly stock. Only mods are neuspeed strut bar, Intake. And I replaces the blown stock stuts with KYB. Springs are still stock.

27rocks
06-29-2011, 06:17 AM
When you replaced them did you get OEM parts or a different brand?

K204ME
06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I installed Raybestos parts. I get a deal on parts from work. I'm sure Honda Tie Rod ends are cheap enough, but i called the local Honda dealer about Ball Joints, and the parts guy told me I have to purchase the whole knuckle with Ball joint as a unit. They don't sell ball joints seperate. And at $400 a unit, thats way to pricy for me.

27rocks
06-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah ball joints are not available from Honda unless you buy the whole knuckle like you said. Well based on experience im almost 100% sure its the parts you are buying. Sometimes when other companies re-manufacture things they use cheaper materials and a cheaper way to make things so these sort of things are common. If you can replace everything besides the ball joints with Honda parts that might fix those problems. As far as the ball joints i would order a couple more and see if those will hold up. If all else fails i would just get some Hardrace RCA's or BuddyClub ones.

K204ME
06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Cool man, thanks for the info. I"ll keep it in mind.

bolaep3
07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
had to replace my ball joints as well.

I bought a used one off a dismanteling place. Which saved me big compared to buying off the dealer for $400. Also look on ebay for used ones.

SamuraiSi
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah ball joints are not available from Honda unless you buy the whole knuckle like you said. Well based on experience im almost 100% sure its the parts you are buying. Sometimes when other companies re-manufacture things they use cheaper materials and a cheaper way to make things so these sort of things are common. If you can replace everything besides the ball joints with Honda parts that might fix those problems. As far as the ball joints i would order a couple more and see if those will hold up. If all else fails i would just get some Hardrace RCA's or BuddyClub ones.

I've never heard of Hardrace RCA. Between these and the BuddyClub ball joints, do you recommend one over the other for a daily, or is there not much difference? I need to replace mine, and I've been putting it off for too long cause I don't wanna go the the local auto parts and end up withthe cheaper Moogs, which I did for my tie rod ends. I also don't have the equipment for the ball joint so I'd have to rent it, as opposed to paying someone $300+ to do it for me.

27rocks
07-22-2011, 04:15 PM
I've never heard of Hardrace RCA. Between these and the BuddyClub ball joints, do you recommend one over the other for a daily, or is there not much difference? I need to replace mine, and I've been putting it off for too long cause I don't wanna go the the local auto parts and end up withthe cheaper Moogs, which I did for my tie rod ends. I also don't have the equipment for the ball joint so I'd have to rent it, as opposed to paying someone $300+ to do it for me.I would get the Hardrace ones over the buddy clubs simply because they are cheaper and basically the exact same thing.

SamuraiSi
07-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Where could I find these? I looked all over the web and only found distributors selling them for the EKs.

SamuraiSi
07-25-2011, 06:45 PM
I emailed the staff at clubep3.com and they were able to link me to it. I couldn't find it cause they had it on the rsx store instead of the ep3. Here's the link in case anyone needs it.

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/HDR-6476.html

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
i was going to say dave here has them. i recently bought stuff from him that was from hardrace
he's good

the1986
07-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I've bought the tie-rod ball joints from Honda before... they just dont call it a ball joint, they call it the outer tie-rod end. When it comes to buying parts from Honda I've learned you need to be careful what you call them.

SamuraiSi
07-26-2011, 06:47 AM
I've bought the tie-rod ball joints from Honda before... they just dont call it a ball joint, they call it the outer tie-rod end. When it comes to buying parts from Honda I've learned you need to be careful what you call them.

Did not know this. I'll have to call them up for a price. Thanks.

i was going to say dave here has them. i recently bought stuff from him that was from hardrace
he's good

How can I contact him?