PDA

View Full Version : type-s vtc gear in k24a2 ?

i11 b3havior
06-29-2011, 05:50 AM
i know we have touched this topic before but does anybody have any experience on this site with this set-up ? i have talked to tuners and other people who have done this with no issues, hondata even states there should be no issues unless missshifting or over reving which i have been driving manual vehicles for over 13 yrs. now been to the track countless times in numerous different vehicles and have never done either. plus you can set the max. cam angle to 45 degrees anyways ? my point is i know $120.00 to get it machined isn't a great deal of money to spend when your talking about the safety of your motor but i literally have this type-s gear just sitting in my desk right now and have wanted to put it in for weeks now. any REAL info on this will be greatly appreciated.

edit -- i have a 06 k24a2 incase you didnt already know

Ba82Ep3
06-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Sure you can drop it in and set KPro to advance no further than 45 degrees... but the physical stop is the only guarantee you wont go any further. I've seen people say they have done it and had no issues... and others that say they lost engines because of it. I think a lot of it is varying tolerances (head milling/which head gasket used), inattentive tuning (valve lash too tight), improper assembly, or just piss poor driving.

In my opinion, you need to take everyones set in stone opinion with a grain of salt, treat your engine as an individual and fork out the 120$. Its a he'll of a lot cheaper than a new head...

bchaney
06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
I would either clay the motor at 50deg and make a decision based on clearances or just get the TSX VTC machined to 45deg.

AttarixEp
07-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Just had mine tuned a couple weeks ago with the Type-S actuator gear and vtc solenoid. Technically the motor can now rev to 8600 rpm with no issues, other than the weaker springs of the k24a2 and the oil pump, which isn't meant to rev as high as the Type-S. My tuner limited the advance to 45 degrees and set red line at 7600rpm, as after that, the engine begins to lose power. Valve to piston clearance is not quite as big an issue as it's made to seem. The motor is great and can take a beating, but it has weaker springs than the k20a2 head does, which makes it more likely in combination with the clearance, to have contact if over-revved. Personally you can pay $120 for machining. I work at a local repair shop and from Honda at my cost, the gear was $124, and there's no chance to have had it under machined or over machined. Set the limit to 45 degrees, run a reasonable redline and you will have a safe motor. Then throw in springs and Type-S oil pump and rev to 8600!

Slip_Angle
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Just had mine tuned a couple weeks ago with the Type-S actuator gear and vtc solenoid. Technically the motor can now rev to 8600 rpm with no issues, other than the weaker springs of the k24a2 and the oil pump, which isn't meant to rev as high as the Type-S. My tuner limited the advance to 45 degrees and set red line at 7600rpm, as after that, the engine begins to lose power. Valve to piston clearance is not quite as big an issue as it's made to seem. The motor is great and can take a beating, but it has weaker springs than the k20a2 head does, which makes it more likely in combination with the clearance, to have contact if over-revved. Personally you can pay $120 for machining. I work at a local repair shop and from Honda at my cost, the gear was $124, and there's no chance to have had it under machined or over machined. Set the limit to 45 degrees, run a reasonable redline and you will have a safe motor. Then throw in springs and Type-S oil pump and rev to 8600!

I run the 50* VTC with no issues.

Curious to see the cam angles your tuner set up.

AKEP
07-02-2011, 08:01 AM
mines installed, no problems yet.

jri93
07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
same here. i have a 06 k24a2 with 50* vtc, rev limiter set to 7600. 0 problems yet and iv been rompin on it for almost two years now