PDA

View Full Version : How did you set your ride height?

bchaney
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
# of threads on your coilover?

Measurement from bottom of strut to adjustment ring?

Height from ground to fender? Where did you find completely level ground?

Finger gap after settling? Gas tank full/half/empty?

I'm probably getting a little too thorough with this but I'd like to figure out the best way to set height before I spend the $ on an alignment.

RedSiBaron
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
The best way is goto a shop and get it corner balanced...then it will handle best

ep3jd
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I usually just measure tire to fender clearance

RedSiBaron
06-30-2011, 08:55 AM
I usually just measure tire to fender clearance

That said, if you have to jack up the car to make adjustments, roll the car forward and back to settle the suspension to get proper measurements...

If you need level ground either use a bubble level and find some place, also if you have a smart phone you can get a bubble level app that works really well, I've used it when fabricating brackets for my chassis rotisserie since the bubble level was needed on the car haha

Ba82Ep3
06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
That said, if you have to jack up the car to make adjustments, roll the car forward and back to settle the suspension to get proper measurements...

^^^^^^ THIS. Very important.

Initially start with the fingergap method. Get it visually where you want it. THEN measure your collars and compare left front to right front... and left rear to right rear. If the difference between L and R is drastic, then split the difference equally between both shocks.

For instance: if the front left shock collar is 1" higher than the right, and then the right rear shock collar is 1" higher than the left, then you turn the left front and right rear collars DOWN 0.5", and then your front right and left rear collars go UP .25" to maintain static ride height. Drive the car to settle the suspension, check your finger gap for appearance and adjust from there... just in smaller amounts.

Its time consuming, but well worth it if you enjoy tweaking your own car...