PDA

View Full Version : Front tires are wearing out way too fast.

spartan
07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
So I have ITR complete Brembo brake/supension swap.
OEM ITR wheels
225/45/R17 Dunlop Direzza
Ive had them for about 3 months an they're balding bad, mostly on the outside. 20% thread.
Rear tires are in perfect condition 90% thread.
These are the second set of tires this has happen with..
Ive had 3 alignments done.
What do?

ep3jd
07-05-2011, 07:54 PM
What are the alignment specs'

talonXracer
07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Too much toe and or camber.

spartan
07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
What are the alignment specs'

No idea

spartan
07-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Too much toe and or camber.

slight negative camber but the wear is mostly on the outside.
toe makes more sense but idk how to fix it.

PatrickJamesYu
07-05-2011, 08:23 PM
When you get an alignment ask for paper work
just to see whats wrong

check air?

spartan
07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
When you get an alignment ask for paper work
just to see whats wrong

check air?

ugh another alignment?!
tire pressure at 35psi

PatrickJamesYu
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
ehh
Maybe just try doing a self alignment?
It's not that hard to do, but veryyyy time consuming and tedious.
I mean it wont be dead on accurate, but I think it'd be enough to see if you have toe or not.

spartan
07-05-2011, 08:45 PM
ehh
Maybe just try doing a self alignment?
It's not that hard to do, but veryyyy time consuming and tedious.
I mean it wont be dead on accurate, but I think it'd be enough to see if you have toe or not.

I dont have very much time.
then again getting front alignment is like $40

hyu
07-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Lifetime alignments are 179 at tire kingdom near my house. Also might be your driving style

Lucid Moments
07-05-2011, 09:11 PM
It almost has to be alignment related, and toe does make the most sense, but if you have had 3 alignments they should have taken care of it. How old is you car? Or more specifically how old are your bushings? If you have worn bushings it can allow your alignment to change under load and that might be why previous alignments haven't taken care of the issue.

Zzyzx
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
It almost has to be alignment related, and toe does make the most sense, but if you have had 3 alignments they should have taken care of it. How old is you car? Or more specifically how old are your bushings? If you have worn bushings it can allow your alignment to change under load and that might be why previous alignments haven't taken care of the issue.

Agreed, check your suspension bushings.

Note that wear on the outer edge of the tire, assuming both sides are seeing the same wear patter, implies excessive toe in.

Too much toe-in causes accelerated wear at the outboard edges of the tires, while too much toe-out causes wear at the inboard edges.

spartan
07-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Agreed, check your suspension bushings.

Note that wear on the outer edge of the tire, assuming both sides are seeing the same wear patter, implies excessive toe in.

I figure it's toe or positive camber, but why wouldn't this be fixed from 3 alignments at 2 dealerships an a shop?

It's an 05 but i have no idea how many miles are on the ITR swap thus i have no idea how old the bushings are. very expensive to replace also hard to find.
It's interesting you say the alignment can change under load cuz im 250lbs but the wear is slightly more on the passenger side.

Lifetime alignments are 179 at tire kingdom near my house. Also might be your driving style

bro you live on the other side of the country.
and i only drive 10 miles a day and drive slower then a grandma

Lucid Moments
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
It's an 05 but i have no idea how many miles are on the ITR swap thus i have no idea how old the bushings are. very expensive to replace also hard to find.
It's interesting you say the alignment can change under load cuz im 250lbs but the wear is slightly more on the passenger side.

So you did a suspension swap?

USAF EP3
07-07-2011, 03:24 PM
So you did a suspension swap?

Spartan is the one with the ITR Brembo swap on the EP3, he did a full DC5 ITR front knuckle/spindle/LCA/axles/brakes swap + suspension.

It says so in his signature :mbiggrin:

Zzyzx
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I figure it's toe or positive camber, but why wouldn't this be fixed from 3 alignments at 2 dealerships an a shop?

If you were only seeing outside shoulder wear on one of the tires I'd be looking at camber, but since its both... that says toe.

As far as the shop, they can only see and set the alignment while the car is static (not moving) so they are not going to catch any bushing distortion you end up experiencing once the car gets moving.

Note: The drive wheels when under power will naturally want to toe in, so if the bushings are significantly worn out you can see quite a bit of toe change just by pushing on the throttle while driving. The Idle wheels will tend to toe out while the vehicle is in motion. The amount, once again, depends greatly on bushing wear.

02TWSI
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Is it possible they are doing a stock EP3 alignment, and that's NOT what you need?

Side question, what's a good brand of stock EP lca bushings? At 112k miles I feel I could use the replacement

j0000stin
07-07-2011, 04:11 PM
you've been on here long enough to know it most likely tow and/or camber

edit: reading fails me haha

02TWSI
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
you've been on here long enough to know it most likely tow and/or camber

I even told you this on FB long ago Ethan! Lol

Lucid Moments
07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Spartan is the one with the ITR Brembo swap on the EP3, he did a full DC5 ITR front knuckle/spindle/LCA/axles/brakes swap + suspension.

It says so in his signature :mbiggrin:

I have signatures turned off.:mwink:

So to the OP. Have all the previous alignments been done by the same shop? Do you have the printouts from them?

Lucid Moments
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Is it possible they are doing a stock EP3 alignment, and that's NOT what you need?

Side question, what's a good brand of stock EP lca bushings? At 112k miles I feel I could use the replacement

It doesn't matter much what car they are doing it for really. The only reason the alignment machine knows what car it is for so that it can know what is recommended. Which is almost irrelevant to what alignment they actually put on the car.

As for a good replacement bushing for the LCA I King Motorsports has a replacement one Here (http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-2605-mugen-front-end-hard-bushings.aspx)

spartan
07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
So looks to me like it can be the bushings.
How do i know if the rsx s mugen bushings will fit type R control arms?
I hope this is the solution i cant keep buying tires, they're faken expensive!

I have to buy 2 for right an left side or 1 is for both sides?

spartan
07-22-2011, 01:48 PM
lol
found out a bunch of shit was loose.
tightened all that shit up an gonna check again in a week or so to make sure its tight.
Then gonna make a day where i lock tight EVERYTHING

Lucid Moments
07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
lol
found out a bunch of shit was loose.
tightened all that shit up an gonna check again in a week or so to make sure its tight.
Then gonna make a day where i lock tight EVERYTHING

Alignment shop should have made sure everything was tightened. If they didn't do that then what else didn't they do? Find another alignment place.

spartan
08-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah my tires are still wearing out fast, I'm almost contempt with having to buy tires every 3 months :/

Rasy
08-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Yep, just make sure they were torqued down to OEM specs, otherwise they will loosen again very slightly over time, considering you have a stiffer suspension. Glad it seemed like you fixed it.