PDA

View Full Version : Snapped wheel studs HELP

SteezyHFP
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
basically I did the biggest no-no on any forum
posting before search-baring so i understand if this gets deleted

I have a 05 ep3 and just the other day bleeding my brakes while taking off the wheels i managed to snap 1 lug stud on both front wheels

now i am just wondering if there is anyway to replace them myself without pulling everything apart
please let me know if there is any fix for this or else im gonna have to take it to my mechanic that is a duche about this type of thing.

thanks guys in advance.

ep3jd
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Take off the rotor(and caliper obv), smack the snapped stud out the back, put the new one in its place, and use an open ended nut to crank it down and lock it in place. Then put everything back together.

I guarantee SOMEONE tells me I'm wrong but I've replaced lots of studs this way and never once had an issue.

HondaFreak
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Ummm How? Nevermind I don't want to know.

No, you prolly cannot. The spindle needs to be pressed out of the hub, then the studs need to be pressed out of the spindle. Also the wheel bearing housing will have to be pressed off the spindle as I recall. It's a pain to do. Also, the easiest way is to remove the knuckle fom the car. It's VERY involved. You could do it all if you had a cheap press, but it's a lot of work. I could be wrong but I swear your going to have a knuckle in the way. I have heard of smacking them out, but if you mess up that press fit, your going to need a new spindle.
Good luck.

Christian

oneglory
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
have to remove the hub...or do the notch out thing.

ep3jd
07-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Oh yeah, that. You're taking about grinding down part of the back of the stud, right? Not a huge deal...

oneglory
07-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah, that. You're taking about grinding down part of the back of the stud, right? Not a huge deal...

If i remember correctly the hub has a tiny notch in it that is just too small.

there are many avenues doing this and everyone says everyone else is wrong. ha.

ep3jd
07-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah that too.

I would say that as a novice, having a friend or a shop bang em out quick is your best bet man.

03silverEP
07-11-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm sorry to say, but it sucks....

The knuckle has to come off, and the spindle pressed out

ep3jd
07-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Weird that I've never done that but I've replaced studs before? Okay!

hyu
07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Since my car lost like 2 studs on one wheel before. Buy the studs and a new wheelbearing. When you press the studs out it'll move your wheel bearing making it grind in the future. Might as well get new ones. Wheelbearing is about 68.xx if I'm not mistaken

ep3lookslikeyou
07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I just did extended studs front and rear on my car and did not have to mess with the hub at all. I shaved the base section of the new studs and bent the dust shield back for the fronts. is the the correct and proper way to replace studs... probably not. but it works for me haha

27rocks
07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
All i want to know is how you broke one stud on both the front hubs?

apexracing
07-15-2011, 12:57 AM
All i want to know is how you broke one stud on both the front hubs?

i'm in for this too especially when he was just bleeding the brakes. must of over torqued them i'm guessing. 80ftlbs my friend thats all you need.

SteezyHFP
08-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Haha yeah wasn't using a torque wrench kinda went all out without thinking

SteezyHFP
08-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Fixed them about a month ago